Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

********** How can we improve Mobiles & PDAs? **********

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

kaimera wrote: »
    would tags work in M&PDA?

op tags - o2/vfe/met/3 perhaps?

I'd like to see this too. Tags in colour and in bold would look really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

jmccrohan wrote: »

Ban drunkmonkey.

bitch_slap.jpg

get back in your box:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

bitch_slap.jpg

get back in your box:P
    Right, I'm gonna give you that one.. he probably deserved it ;) .. now keep on topic or get infracted!

Gotta start making moves on the feedback received here. You've got your iPhone forum now :)

I'm gonna try make some moves on the FAQ. Any thoughts on that? I'm thinking 2 stickys:
    - Charter
    - FAQ

And then in the FAQ we can break it down in different sections
    - Internet / MMS on your phone
    - Phone Unlocking
    - Voicemail
    - Premium Texts
    - Third Party Applications

Any more thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

When I was Mod of the Laptop forum, we used to get a lot of "Recommend me a laptop" - that was it, no detail, no intended use, etc. I see a few threads like that here. So, how about a "info required when asking for phone recommendation" sticky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

good idea but who reads the sticks before anyone points them out..

Recommend me a phone?

"Oi YOU READ THE STICKY"

can't see it working, gread idea for an app though....

good idea but who reads the sticks before anyone points them out..

Recommend me a phone?

"Oi YOU READ THE STICKY"

can't see it working, gread idea for an app though....

Rest assured, with a gentle nudge from a kindly moderator, people will read the stickys. :D

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Rest assured, with a gentle nudge from a kindly moderator, people will read the stickys. :D
    I hope when you say "nudge", it isn't a euphemism for something more sinister, e.g. rhymes with can...? :confused:

I do agree with your idea though. A recommend me sticky would be great, as practically everyone uses a mobile phone and would benefit from knowing what information to put in a thread if they're looking for information on what new handset to buy.

Rsaeire wrote: »
    I hope when you say "nudge", it isn't a euphemism for something more sinister, e.g. rhymes with can...?

Absolutely not. :)

Coming down hard on somebody over something relatively trivial like that is a sure fire way to get yourself a name as an asshole of a moderator.

Usually, what I used to do was a simple reply along the lines of "Have a quick look over the sticky XXXX and come back to us with the info". I think the lads over on Laptops still do that.
    Rsaeire wrote: »
    I do agree with your idea though. A recommend me sticky would be great, as practically everyone uses a mobile phone and would benefit from knowing what information to put in a thread if they're looking for information on what new handset to buy.

I found it worked very well over on the Laptops forum. And it sitll does. My legacy lives on....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

What about a thread / sticky for phones that are coming up for release by the networks, or even phones that they've confirmed they're not going to carry ?
    Might need official network buy in to get useful info here but hey, who else are they going to give it to ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Columba Rad

Mr.S wrote: »
    iPhone sub forum is all thats needed tbh
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1176

rad, is the offer of an unlocking faq still open? If it is i'll take it from you please :)

rsaeire - if you have some walkthrough guides for the devices you mentioned on page 1 could you send them on please?

As for the suggestions of tags. Personally i can't stand them. I think they make a forum look complicated and cluttered. I think the main problem we have here is people not using descriptive thread titles. Would it be better if mods edited thread titles to reflect the content more often where a user has failed to do so?

Random wrote: »
    rad, is the offer of an unlocking faq still open? If it is i'll take it from you please :)
    Sure, I'll do up some good info and send it to you asap.

rsaeire - if you have some walkthrough guides for the devices you mentioned on page 1 could you send them on please?

I already have some of them in the handset section on my website with screenshots here, but if you want, I can email you the text based versions instead?
    As for the suggestions of tags. Personally i can't stand them. I think they make a forum look complicated and cluttered. I think the main problem we have here is people not using descriptive thread titles. Would it be better if mods edited thread titles to reflect the content more often where a user has failed to do so?
    I like the idea of moderators editing users’ thread titles to better reflect the actual issue, as sometimes you go to a thread with a random, pardon the pun, title and upon reading through the post you think to yourself “ok, if I knew this post was going to be about that, I wouldn’t have bothered looking here in the first place.”

I still think tags would work in bold and colour, as long as they’re only used for operator related posts. At this stage, I’m sure most people know that orange = Meteor, blue = O2 etc, so it would make it very easy to see what network the post relates to.

any more thoughts on mods editing thread titles from others?

Re those guides, if you could send them on in a vbulliten friendly format (or even pm them to me and i'll copy to the relevant thread down the line). Thanks

I really dislike the idea of multi colour tags but if others have thoughts on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

any more thoughts on mods editing thread titles from others?

Yes - maybe we could have a standard of titles aswell though:

Put the network first; Phone brand and model next; more detail of problem
    I really dislike the idea of multi colour tags but if others have thoughts on it?

Down with tags........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Davy wrote: »

Down with tags........
    +1 they drive me mad, they wont be used correctly and make forums look cluttered!

Right lads, we got a new FAQ here..

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055516939

Give us your thoughts, tell us what's missing / wrong / outdated etc.

Thanks

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'd get rid of this Parachute fella tho.. I hear he is a blow in..

In all seriousness tho. Tom, try to cut down on the amount of name changes.

I dunno how any of the non regulars are meant to know who is who.

• Advertisement

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I'd get rid of this Parachute fella tho.. I hear he is a blow in..

In all seriousness tho. Tom, try to cut down on the amount of name changes.

I dunno how any of the non regulars are meant to know who is who.

Do you really think I am asking for my name to be changed to Princess Tom, Pink Tiara and A Dog Named Boo?

Pink Tiara wrote: »
    Do you really think I am asking for my name to be changed to Princess Tom, Pink Tiara and A Dog Named Boo?

...its all very princessy

Hi guys,

I've recieved a couple of pm's with content for the faq and corrections for it.

Just to remind you to please do let one of us (the mods) know either by pm or in this thread if you have anything to add or correct with faq.

Thanks

With a lot of people on free network calls, maybe add some info regarding.

Listen for the beep before call is connected - means on a different network

Checking the call usage online to see what networks they are on. (Meteor and o2 only afaik)

For Meteor customers: texting the number your calling to 50004 and it tells you if they are on Meteor or not.

Their is also the voicemail message if not setup. Dial '5' after the prefix

Davy wrote: »
    With a lot of people on free network calls, maybe add some info regarding.

Listen for the beep before call is connected - means on a different network

Checking the call usage online to see what networks they are on. (Meteor and o2 only afaik)

For Meteor customers: texting the number your calling to 50004 and it tells you if they are on Meteor or not.

Their is also the voicemail message if not setup. Dial '5' after the prefix
    This has been added.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=59559391&postcount=24

Random, did you get a chance to read my PM about the Mobile Phone Unlocking F.A.Q?

Sorry mate, seen it there and ment to get back to you. Just haven't had a chance to read through it fully but will get it done tonight or tomorrow and add it onto the FAQ :)

Sorry mate, seen it there and ment to get back to you. Just haven't had a chance to read through it fully but will get it done tonight or tomorrow and add it onto the FAQ :)
    Don't be silly, it's the weekend, go out and have a few (lots) beers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Don't know if any of these have been suggested already but I would like to see a...

Firmware and Flashing section (removing Operators branding. All of them are at it now! My E51 now has a Meteor button.)

Break the unlocking section to sub forums for each type, eg Nokia Unlocking, Sony Ericsson Unlocking, Samsung Unlocking etc etc.
    Might stop some of the same questions being asked time and time again and quicker searches.

• Advertisement

I like the idea of a firmware / flashing FAQ with links and guides. If anyone has the time and knowledge to sort one out I'll get it added to the FAQ :)

I personally don't like the idea of a load of subforums for unlocking. There's not a huge amount to it really. We now have a section in the FAQ for it and we have a thread you can request a code in once you read the FAQ. The thread needs to be cleaned up I'll agree though, I'll get to that over the next couple of days.

Advertisement