Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 data charge - bit of a puzzle

• 24-02-2009 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭

I got a text today, from o2, advising me that a data add-on had been added to my contract ... which I thought was odd, as I never use my phone connection for browsing, just wifi when I'm at home.

So, I call 1909 to (a) cancel the add-on and (b) find out why O2 thought I was using data services.

It turns out the data add-on was automatically added, after I clocked up 220 Euro worth of data connections on Friday just gone. No details were made available, other than date, data transferred and cost. I've checked previous bills ... there are no other records of data charges.

I'm trying to find out what times the connections were made, and to what services/websites were connected to ... but I can't find those details online, or via customer service (one call only so far).

Like I said, I don't use the phone for browsing ... it's 2.5G and I am aware of how ruinous the data rates are ... so I don't bother.

What I can't figure out is what the connections are, and how they are charged to my account. When I check the phone settings, I don't have any entries under Cellular Data Network traffic, an APN setting, or even a username & password.

The only thing I can think of is this - my phone was a wifi connection, which may, that's MAY have been active on Friday ... is there any way that wifi connection could drop down to 2.5G (even without APN/UserID/Password) ?

Even if I could find out what times the connections were made, and to what sites ... it would help me clear things up in my own head.
    Surely O2 have a record of this data ?

Any thoughts ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 can't bill you for your wifi connection.

O2 adding the data bundle is actually doing you a favour, as it's preventing you running up totally outragious bills.

It can take up to 24hrs for your calls to show up online and also on customer cares system. By now they should be able to tell you what time you accessed data at and for how much. edit - nvm, youve got that info already.

What phone do you have? Some phones keep a log of data connections. Have you changed anything on it recently? Installed any new apps? These be assessing the web.

O2 don't keep a record of the websites you visit (not in a format available in any circumstances other than via court order anyway afaik), only the time of connection and amount of data transferred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I know when I downloaded swirly MMS on my iPhone, it automagically downloaded the settings for Meteor via WiFi.

Is it possible you downloaded an application via WiFi did this and switched you over to 2.5G? Long shot, mind you. That's about the only thing I could think of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Random wrote: »
    O2 can't bill you for your wifi connection.

I know :)
    What phone do you have? Some phones keep a log of data connections. Have you changed anything on it recently? Installed any new apps? These be assessing the web.

The phone has no APN/User ID or Password attributes set, and the Cellular Data traffic count is 0. I did install apps, but these are standalone apps not online apps, and I can't imaging them 'calling home' without me noticing.
    I know when I downloaded swirly MMS on my iPhone, it automagically downloaded the settings for Meteor via WiFi.

Is it possible you downloaded an application via WiFi did this and switched you over to 2.5G? Long shot, mind you. That's about the only thing I could think of.

Maybe ... but without credentials or a data connection ? And for one night only ? That's what has me puzzled.

I'm going to push it with O2 - they can tell me date/time/number/call type (voice or SMS) for voice traffic ... surely they can tell me more than date and data transferred for data traffic ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I really don't think you're going to get much more out of O2 than maybe the access point used. If you use your comparison to all the info they have on calls and texts - they can't tell you the content of the calls or SMS.

What phone do you have? Did I miss the bit where you said iPhone or is Inglesworth assuming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I really don't think you're going to get much more out of O2 than maybe the access point used. If you use your comparison to all the info they have on calls and texts - they can't tell you the content of the calls or SMS.

What phone do you have? Did I miss the bit where you said iPhone or is Inglesworth assuming?

Even the time of the connection would help me narrow it down, they must have that data recorded. The sites or even domains would also help me narrow it down, especially if the culprit is a 'chatty' application phoning home for some reason.

As for the type of phone, the good Reverend may have prior knowledge *ahem*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

trout wrote: »
    Maybe ... but without credentials or a data connection ? And for one night only ? That's what has me puzzled.

Would there be much difference between an MMS access point/credentials and a data APN? I don't know the answer, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Would there be much difference between an MMS access point/credentials and a data APN? I don't know the answer, tbh.

On o2 the only difference would be the apn but no traffic should be able to go through the mms apn, it's only for picture messages. Although someone said here the other day that he got fring working over the vodafone mms apn somehow....

And none of the irish networks require credentials. There is a spot for username and password but you can put whatever you want in and it'll still work

Advertisement