Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PIR Lights

• 24-02-2009 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Is it ok to put 3 500 watt PIR spotlights on the one circuit?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

watts = Volts By Amps

so 1500 watts = 230 volts by 6.5 amps
    so its totally perfect on a 10 amp breaker and 1.5mm twin and earth solid cable,
    hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

If the 3 lights on one switch and switched on at one time is the fear that large inrush current would cause breaker to trip?
    How come only allowed 10 lights (100 watt) on one circuit

Thanks for reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i would normally fit two max. when i'm wiring them . not sure if they will trip the 'b' type when power is 'switched'.how did the shower work out that was tripping?if you decide to switch 3 direct you need 20 amp light switch anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭JOHNPT

Shower ok Put in 40 amp RCBO. Thanks

Thanks for replies but just wondering do i definetely need 20 amp switch or will existing one do. The lights are already wired.

There is 2 500 watt pir lights and i 150 watt pir already on the one light switch(light switch is 3 gang- contols lights hall bathroom and outside lights) Total 1150 watts. There is small junction box at back wall house and power been feed to each of them however they not working.

So if i replace 3 lights and the light switch is turned on so they have permanent live is this satisfactory?
    Or will it trip as soon as i turn on light switch and PIRS light up initially?
    It shouldnt as its only 1150/240=4.79amps

'''''''''''''But just not sure of inrush current???

Thanks in advance for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

JOHNPT wrote: »
    Shower ok Put in 40 amp RCBO. Thanks

Thanks for replies but just wondering do i definetely need 20 amp switch or will existing one do. The lights are already wired.

There is 2 500 watt pir lights and i 150 watt pir already on the one light switch(light switch is 3 gang- contols lights hall bathroom and outside lights) Total 1150 watts. There is small junction box at back wall house and power been feed to each of them however they not working.

So if i replace 3 lights and the light switch is turned on so they have permanent live is this satisfactory?
    Or will it trip as soon as i turn on light switch and PIRS light up initially?
    It shouldnt as its only 1150/240=4.79amps

'''''''''''''But just not sure of inrush current???

Thanks in advance for advice

2 500w pirs max per circuit /one 500w pir max per lite switch that is what i would do anyway.if there's a good few they can be wired seperate from other lites and switched at the fusebox

• Advertisement
Advertisement