Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming jobs

Options
  • 24-02-2009 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

Does anybody know who is hiring out there for Java/C++ etc. There is a job that every agency seems to be advertising for Delphi in Limerick but none of them will say what company it is actually for. Anybody know who is actually hiring ( all over the country )

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Can you give me the meaning to life* ? If you can do that, then you'll know who is hiring right now ...

I'm not being smart, the market is utterly sh*te right now to be looking for a job.

* No, "42" doesn't count for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

How about the pinky finger Lemming that is the true meaning of life.. 42 is only there to throw people off..

Anyways, looking at the market the way it is, its looking cold unless you are very niche

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Verkon seem to be hiring - they've an ad in today's Metro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Verkom are an agency.
    Microsoft are hiring.
    The situation doesn't seem as bad as is being made out here. Then again I'm not looking for a job right now. I'd say it's hard for graduates again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Ergo are recruiting - but again, I don't think at the junior level.

If you are a graduate I'd suggest punting your services around the various charities (for free, naturally) to get some experience under your hat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Don't do free work for non-charities.
    When I was a recent graduate, a chap in a company seemed highly offended that I wasn't snapping his arm off at the offer of a chance to get experience with highly skilled professionals (ie: do their programming for free)
    Um I'll point out the obvious and say that highly skilled professionals don't need to exploit graduates, and don't rely on exploited graduates for their development work.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭pauldiv

RE "punting your services"

You could always set up your own business rather than listening to this advice.
    You will never find a careers advisor or agency that is honest with you.
    Have confidence and believe in yourself unless you will just end up being another rat in the race to the bottom.
    Find a niche and work like hell for a year or two and then sell what you know.
    Bon Chance.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

pauldiv wrote: »
    RE "punting your services"

You could always set up your own business rather than listening to this advice.
    You will never find a careers advisor or agency that is honest with you.
    Have confidence and believe in yourself unless you will just end up being another rat in the race to the bottom.
    Find a niche and work like hell for a year or two and then sell what you know.
    Bon Chance.

+1 on this, it can be a good way of getting over the "3-5 years experience" hump and if you play your cards right and you're lucky you'll make a good bit more money.

OP: There are a bunch of companies out there who are hiring. What kind of skills and experience do you have? What kind of work are you looking for?

Advertisement