Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

asked to be referee for friends adoption?!

Options
  • 24-02-2009 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi. I'm hoping someone on here can help. My friend has just phoned me to ask if I would be her character reference for her adoption process. We both live 'up north' in case that makes a difference. I just want to know what sort of questions I might be asked during the interview and how many people will be interviewing me? My friend and her husband are the two nicest people I know and really want to do/say the best thing for them. I've known them since we started university together and am so chuffed that they think so highly of me to ask. Please reply with any tips you might have. Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

What you have to remember is the adoption has to be in the best interests of the child- therefore as a referee you are selling your friend and her hubby and should emphasise those characteristics that show how good they will be for the child (remaining wholly truthful and not exaggerating or embelishing the information you are giving).

Hopefully someone who has acted in this capacity previously might be able to give you some pointers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

In the south anyway they send you a form

How long do you know them

Racism if adopting from abroad
    Drugs? Drink? problems?

would you leave your own children with them?
    esperience of adoption?
    If you would be happy to give a good referance then do it and if not just say you are too busy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

I was a referee for adoption. I had to fill out forms and answer questions about my friend. I was then interviewed (with my spouse who was also a referee). We spoke honestly and praised our friend, who often helped out with our family. Our friend was an easy person to vouch for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 mary70

Sorry. I forgot to say that we were only interviewed by one social worker who was obviously happy with what she heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 miss dove

thanks to all who replied. I filled in a form about my friends and am just waiting to hear when the interview will be. As you said Mary, they were easy to vouch for, so are my friends. Thanks everyone:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement