Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting out, Talking to the Gardaí

Options
  • 24-02-2009 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Really interested in starting out in all things shooting. Hoping to start off in pistol target shooting.

I have been lurking throughout the threads here for many months now; you all have a great community spirit and are a Solomon's Treasure of information to say the very least :)

Shoot.ie was mentioned quite a bit here so I gave a look and have decided upon the pistol I want and also a safe to store it in.

I have also enquired with a local club about membership to which I have received positive feedback.

However at the moment I have not actually purchased the gun, safe or club membership as it costs a load of money with no guarantee of being successful in my licence application.

I want to arrange a talk with the local Gardaí about applying for my licence; just a preliminary chat to get a feel for their opinion etc before handing over a chunk of savings.

What are your views about this? Is it a waste of time?

Also if any suggestions or tips you think will help please post them.

Thanks for reading. Look forward to hearing back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I would first go talk to the local club, you'll need membership, then ask them for advise. However on all my applications I spoke to the local FO (courtesy, I don't know why, I would always go in and "shoot" the breeze.

I have found them very helpfull (my experiences). However I dont shoot pistols or anything bigger than 22 hornet

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭C_Dawg

Cheers for the swift reply man :)

Yeah was talking with the club already. Both the club and dealer are advising talk with the local FO before committing to handing over cash for membership.

Can do no harm having a wee chat I suppose.

Will keep ye posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Sika_Stalker

you may also have to have an interview with you super about why you would like to start pistol shooting

you may also have to have an interview with you super about why you would like to start pistol shooting

Reason(s) for wanting a pistol: I don't play or follow any sports. I don't drink or have any vices. In short I am bored and want to partake in a fun and unique outdoor activity. Ideally it would be target shooting at first with a long term aim of giving practical pistol a try. Saying that I would be looking for a 9mm if I wanted to enter competitions unless I have misunderstood the requirements for IPSC.

In case of an interview I'll have the shoes polished and a crisp fresh shirt at the ready :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

C_Dawg wrote: »
    Reason(s) for wanting a pistol: I don't play or follow any sports. I don't drink or have any vices. In short I am bored and want to partake in a fun and unique outdoor activity. Ideally it would be target shooting at first with a long term aim of giving practical pistol a try. Saying that I would be looking for a 9mm if I wanted to enter competitions unless I have misunderstood the requirements for IPSC.

In case of an interview I'll have the shoes polished and a crisp fresh shirt at the ready :D

The IPSA (IPSC's governing body in Ireland) packed in recently, so IPSC activities will not be taking place here for the foreseeable future. Just worth bearing in mind. Perhaps for the time being, a .22 pistol would be more suitable, as you can learn to shoot for a lot less money, with less stress and political twaddle over licensing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

C_Dawg wrote: »

not a hope lad ,look at clay shooting or .22 target shooting

Cheers for the honest replies lads.

Bit gutted to be honest about the end of practical shooting etc so thats the end of that for me lol

Silver lining is that 22 would indeed with a lot cheaper like ye say.

Thanks again :)

Advertisement