Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CL 1st knockout roundup

• 24-02-2009 9:15pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Would you believe it there are games taking place in the CL not including English teams :eek:

atm

Lyon lead Barca 1-0 at home
    Atletico ar drawing with Porto 1-1 at home

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Just after seeing Forlan's goal for Athletico to make it 2-1. Some shocker by the keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Just after seeing Forlan's goal for Athletico to make it 2-1. Some shocker by the keeper.

+1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

not the right thread but i didnt wanna start another one to mention thatin another midweek game Swansea just took the lead against Fulham.

Barca have equalised though 1-1 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Atlético very lucky to draw. Porto all over them in the first half. Could've been about 4-1 to them. Unlucky that Helton made such a howler.

Saw Juninho's free. Did he mean it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Juninho ALWAYS means it.

Barca very lucky to draw 1-1 tbh, satisfying result. Hopefully we can put them away at the Camp Nou.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

There was no question he was going for goal - an amazing strike. The big question is the keeper I'd love to have seen it from his angle - he obviously thought it was going wide and was completely fooled. Reminds me of Roberto Carlos against Barthez.

Missed opportunity for Lyon they were amazing in the first half a second goal might have made for a completely different game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

again not CL but fulham just go 2-1 up Zamora - with the old 2 bus syndrome.

Fcuking ROFLLLLLL at Heltons mistake for the Forlan goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wow, RTE really have some pathetic knowledge of Spanish football.

A new player for Barca, Daniel Alves? Never heard of him Eamo. Sounds like they looked up wikipedia during the ad break and are talking shít from that. They didn't even know who'd won the league last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Juninho's goal was an absolute gem

BBC say he's scored 97 goals for Lyon, 43 of which were from direct free kicks.

One trick pony IMO :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd say there'd be a different result if the "Who's the best free kick taker ever" thread was opened tomorrow instead of last week...

Having not checked it I hope Juninho didn't already win that poll :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Wow, RTE really have some pathetic knowledge of Spanish football.

A new player for Barca, Daniel Alves? Never heard of him Eamo. Sounds like they looked up wikipedia during the ad break and are talking shít from that. They didn't even know who'd won the league last year.

A couple of years ago he was saying the valencia team was so good, Aimar couldn't even get into it, even though Aimar was sold about 6 months ago. He kept on about inter winning the league "3 years in a row", even though one was given to them, and next was when juve were in serie b and milan had a points deduction.

Quint wrote: »
    A couple of years ago he was saying the valencia team was so good, Aimar couldn't even get into it, even though Aimar was sold about 6 months ago. He kept on about inter winning the league "3 years in a row", even though one was given to them, and next was when juve were in serie b and milan had a points deduction.

Aimar was sold to Zaragoza back in 2006 mate. 6 months ago he moved from Zaragoza to Benfica.

eZe^ wrote: »
    Aimar was sold to Zaragoza back in 2006 mate. 6 months ago he moved from Zaragoza to Benfica.

Yeah, it was a while back when he said it, not tonight. Just one that stuck in my mind. Bill and Gilesy think he's an expert in european football which is funny. I'm surprised the lack of knowledge in fact, considering they cover so much european football, yet they don't have a clue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Just saw the Juninho free-kick and as great as it was Valdes looked as though he thought maybe it was going to be a cross at first and stepped out, then realising it was on target ended up stumbling back into the net. It did actually look like it was going to be a cross toward the back post.

redout wrote: »
    Just saw the Juninho free-kick and as great as it was Valdes looked as though he thought maybe it was going to be a cross at first and stepped out, then realising it was on target ended up stumbling back into the net. It did actually look like it was going to be a cross toward the back post.

It was too high, Valdes would have had to be 7'6" to have saved that from his starting position. Very very harsh to blame Valdes for that.

Quint wrote: »
    Yeah, it was a while back when he said it, not tonight. Just one that stuck in my mind. Bill and Gilesy think he's an expert in european football which is funny. I'm surprised the lack of knowledge in fact, considering they cover so much european football, yet they don't have a clue.

Ah they're only little Irish boys though, they don't need to concern themselves with any other leagues but the mighty premier league. ;)

It was some free kick alright.
    If someone didn't see it, here it is:
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/2136439/

It was too high, Valdes would have had to be 7'6" to have saved that from his starting position. Very very harsh to blame Valdes for that.

I dont blame him for it man. No keeper was going to save it. It dipped just under the bar and was to near the back post. Definitely dont think it was going to be saved.

Sporting Lisbon 0 - 5 Bayern Munich

Big message sent out tonight. Bayern Munich, apparently, have set a new Champions League record for scoring in consecutive away matches - tonight is the 14th time in a row, beating Chelsea's record.

Thank god for setanta. Juve lose, but restore some pride for Italy. Great game, end to end stuff for 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

What a cracking first goal by Ribery. Showed what he's all about. I think he's a brilliant player. Just saw the goals from that match. The fifth was terrible defensively.

Chelsea did very well to did I thought. Juve did pretty well in the second half and only the width of Alex's boot saved Chelsea. Looks good for the second leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Chelsea played well in the first 20 mins. Then Juve came back into it and probably deserved something more from the game. Juve are three or four good players away from being a very good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Did you see Panathinaikos' goal? That was a real cracker!

Lads, you can't argue with concrete facts like these;

2006: Milan lost against the eventual champions and won it in 2007

2007: Man U lost against Milan and won it in 2008

2008: Barca lost to Man U who went on to win it.

2009: Guess the winner!

I think that's indisputable evidence that the only winner of this CL campaign can be the mighty Blaugrana. :pac::pac: They may aswell just give the trophy to Barca tbh, no point playing the knockout rounds. :D

Lads, you can't argue with concrete facts like these;

2006: Milan lost against the eventual champions and won it in 2007

2007: Man U lost against Milan and won it in 2008

2008: Barca lost to Man U who went on to win it.

2009: Guess the winner!

I think that's indisputable evidence that the only winner of this CL campaign can be the mighty Blaugrana. :pac::pac: They may aswell just give the trophy to Barca tbh, no point playing the knockout rounds. :D

Obviously the above was a bit of banter but on a serious note Bayern are the side in form. Team I would be most worried about meeting in the next round. To score five without reply away from home in the knockouts of the champions league is a rarity. There lineup tonight I thought was quite strong

Bayern Munich: Rensing, Lahm, Oddo, Lucio, Demichelis, Ribery, Ze Roberto, Van Bommel, Schweinsteiger, Klose, Toni.

Very difficult to say who is a real contender or not as nobody bar Bayern actually put in a great performance. Inter and Real messed up in my opinion as both sides were at home and failed to capitalise on that advantage. Me thinks a full strength United and Pool will dispose of these two. Just cant see Man Utd at full strength in old trafford not beating Inter. Jose has a lower level team here than with Chelsea and thats without question. I cant believe some people last night going on about Inter. They were at home and played a United team which was not at its strongest and could not capitalise. Now in my books that was very poor from Inter and they forgone an excellent opportunity to have won the game and make the tie more difficult for United. I even said at the start of the Inter thread I thought they had a good chance of winning. Real Madrid are just plane screwed as their is no way I can see then beating Pool at anfield, another shocking performance for the second time this week from one of Europes heavyweights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bayern just got beat 2-1 at home by FC Köln at the weekend. Only 2 wins in their past 6 league games. Hardly in great form.

Bayern just got beat 2-1 at home by FC Köln at the weekend. Only 2 wins in their past 6 league games. Hardly in great form.

No, but to score 5 away in the knockouts of the champions league shows a team that mean business. How many times has someone scored that amount away in the knockouts ? Credit were deserved.

redout wrote: »
    No, but to score 5 away in the knockouts of the champions league shows a team that mean business. How many times has someone scored that amount away in the knockouts ? Credit were deserved.

But at the same time, how many times have Sporting Lisbon made the K.O rounds. Once, and that's this season. Bayern are definitely dark horses, but lets not jizz our pants and make them favourites solely on that display. Ribery is a class act though, and is probably the 2nd best winger in the world this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Bayern's League form is pants this year. They have a quality squad no doubt but you can't judge a team on one performance

• Advertisement

But at the same time, how many times have Sporting Lisbon made the K.O rounds. Once, and that's this season. Bayern are definitely dark horses, but lets not jizz our pants and make them favourites solely on that display. Ribery is a class act though, and is probably the 2nd best winger in the world this year.
    Bubs101 wrote: »
    Bayern's League form is pants this year. They have a quality squad no doubt but you can't judge a team on one performance

Lads I never said they were favourites I just pointed out the they were the only side to really perform out of the eight and regardless of Sporting only being in the knockouts once is no excuse to concede five at home in the knockouts of the champions league in fairness and credit must go to Bayern for that. Favourites tags change from round to round in fairness. One week its Man Utd, Barca then after a poor performance the bookies lengthen the odds and shorten someones else's like Chelsea for example. Simple fact is out of the eight sides they were the best hands down but obviously that could all change after 2nd legs in two weeks.

Advertisement