Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone interested in doing some Metal Detecting & Treasure Hunting

Options
  • 24-02-2009 9:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi everyone i got a new Metal Detecter 4 weeks ago and have been out about 10 times and found some very interesting things i was just wondering if there was anyone else up to the same and maybe meet up and cover more ground.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Was always intrigued into what compels people to do this. Is it a hobby that you have just started Dundalkeye?

Also just out curiosity what have you found?

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

Dundalkeye wrote: »
    Hi everyone i got a new Metal Detecter 4 weeks ago and have been out about 10 times and found some very interesting things i was just wondering if there was anyone else up to the same and maybe meet up and cover more ground.

I don't have a metal detector (yet!).. but I have always wanted one from when I was young! Do you mind me asking you where did you buy yours?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

It could be interesting - where do you usually detect things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Dundalkeye

first i do it as a hobby and have found 2 gold rings and a gold chain in icehouse hill park. i mostly go to old remains of houses or the beach or rivers seem to be good spot.i got my dector in mapplins 160 euro and to my shock i went down last week and its there for 90.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭flag123

hmmm metal dectecting, theres a bit of money in that. I got one in a kinder surprise when I was younger and it done the job I wouldn't be mad into paying that amount of money, suppose it depends on what your into..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

Could I be cheeky and suggest you all try the Felda keyring treasure hunt in the Dundalk Democrat? Four keyrings to be found every week, with clues as to their location. The finders win free memberships.

http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/Find-a-keyring-and-win.5062303.jp

• Registered Users Posts: 43 HighMan

Is this the same mythicalireland as in the island of the setting sun? If it is, I am sure you'll recognise where I got my username from. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

Just be careful as a license is needed for metal detectors...as far as i know issued by OPW, Heritage council or something. Maplins shouldnt be selling them really. All to do with not having archaeology disrupted. (Tis finders keepers in the UK but not in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Harolds+

A sign of the times I suppose

You should try looking around Killiney and look at Bono's grounds. He has a great way of taking his wealth out of the country. Maybe he has a great way of hiding it around his decadent grounds.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mythicalireland

HighMan wrote: »
    Is this the same mythicalireland as in the island of the setting sun? If it is, I am sure you'll recognise where I got my username from. :-)

This is the same guy, yes. I'm very impressed. Where do you live? On the hand of Orion, or maybe his head? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

What county are you in?

oh wait, dundalk lol

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Geezer1000

Madflah wrote: »
    Just be careful as a license is needed for metal detectors...as far as i know issued by OPW, Heritage council or something. Maplins shouldnt be selling them really. All to do with not having archaeology disrupted. (Tis finders keepers in the UK but not in Ireland)

really? Didnt know that.

You can buy kiddies ones in Smiths too afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pipobrien

Hi all,

I lost my wedding and engagement rings in a park in Dublin last week and I was hoping to contact a group of metal detectors who would be interested in doing a hunt in the area.

I was in a public park at the time so I gather from my research that this is not illegal there. I have already tried searching the area with a rented metal detector but I found it hard to use. The park ranger was aware of my metal detecting and was very nice so I gather that they do not mind people using a MD in the area.

If anyone is interested in taking part in a hunt in the area, please contact me at pipobrien@gmail.com for more information.

Regards,
    Philippa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 portsbruff

Cant start a new thread so had to reply to thread ?

Anyway i have brought a Seben Pro Metal Detector and the instructions says it can Discriminate between Ferrous and non Ferrous metals which is a good thing because i have alot of iron in rocks around us the question i can detect all metals and rocks lol except gold. I put a small pendent on the ground and i couldnt find it even after 1 hour making adustments. The setting on this M/d is not very good because its not a turn on and use M/D. I spent 97 Euro on Ebay last week (Is it just me trying to run before i can walk) or is it a bad M/D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Sorry OP. What you are doing is not allowed without licence from the government. You can detect on beaches (I think). But if found on or near historic areas you will be up in court :(

Just my word of advise ;)

portsbruff wrote: »
    Cant start a new thread so had to reply to thread ?

Anyway i have brought a Seben Pro Metal Detector and the instructions says it can Discriminate between Ferrous and non Ferrous metals which is a good thing because i have alot of iron in rocks around us the question i can detect all metals and rocks lol except gold. I put a small pendent on the ground and i couldnt find it even after 1 hour making adustments. The setting on this M/d is not very good because its not a turn on and use M/D. I spent 97 Euro on Ebay last week (Is it just me trying to run before i can walk) or is it a bad M/D:cool:

Never heard of that MD, and at that price i'd say the MD isn't great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 portsbruff

I know I have been looking at the other blogs about the laws. and i think you can only M/d without a licence on beaches and fields that are not owned by the Government. Any way theres been a lot of talk on this subject this blog is about Metal Detectors!! whats the Best M/D do you think. I have a Seben and now i have got a bit of expierance it is still not picking up a small gold pendent but i can detect Silver?. I stopped it from picking up Iron Ore in Rocks now which saves me a lot of time digging for rocks. There seems to be a bit of setting up on this Seben M/D first you have to set mode for ground balance or Discrimination Mode Then press the zeroing button now is it to do with this two Mode settings that stops me from getting a signal from the gold the Discrimination mode is to Distinguish Ferrous and non ferrous metal (What is gold) and silver/steel wish a payed more attention at school lol(let me know what you found love to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Michaeloconnor2

contact me please i do a lot 2 hour a day !
    and most weekends in summer
    also guys i opened a new forum for detectorists!! all welcome finally on a forum where we will be able to talk about detecting etc!
    http://metaldetectingireland.atfreeforum.com/

Advertisement