Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Native plants for garden?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello

I am not of the green fingered variety but I would like to do some stuff with my parents garden.

I want to plant a native plant that is good for the birds and easy to maintain. We have some flowerbeds that just end up overgrown with weeds and wild grass. I would like something that would cover it so weeds can't grow.

Any suggestion on what to plant?

Nothing that grows too fast. The garden has potential to be gorgeous. My parents are getting on so it can't be anything too mad.

Thanking you:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Check out www.ipcc.ie for some good tips on native plants in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭sorella

A good mulching fabric will help. You can grow through it, ie make small holes, and it lets air and water through. So no weeds can get in.

After a few years, some will try to root through it; but they are easily pulled up.

Here, we have a large overgrown patch we are new to. Planting native trees and bushes we got from coillte.

http://www.coilltenurseries.ie/?page=catalog&mask=4

Also last year, we grew many lupins etc from seed so we are adding those; they will grow so that weeds are smothered./crowded out.

All the old "cottage garden" plants also; columbine, calendula( which in sheltered places are perennial), honesty.... sweet rocket also if I can get seed.

Adding native wildflowers as we can seed them.

Growing vegetables through plain black plastic this year as digging is out.And the good fabric costs too much for us just now.

Advertisement