Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Gmail account was hacked, what now?

Options
  • 24-02-2009 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

Ok, I've since managed to recover my account, but I'm wondering what I should do now. I have the IP address that was using my account - what can I do with it?

When I logged back on, I found an email from PayPal looking for confirmation (for a password reset!). Scary stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would suggest you change the password and security questions on any accounts anywhere which may use this email address (including Gmail).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok, I've since managed to recover my account, but I'm wondering what I should do now. I have the IP address that was using my account - what can I do with it?

When I logged back on, I found an email from PayPal looking for confirmation (for a password reset!). Scary stuff.

Stick the IP in something like samspade.org to find out who the admins are for that network and send them a complaint. This is all assuming there's someone they can tie the IP to, and it's not going a proxy, hijacked wireless point etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yeah I changed all those things. I'm still a little bit shaken up TBH. I can tell from the activity that the guy got straight down to the business of trying to steal from me. Should I go down to the Garda station and hand them his IP address? Or was he likely using a proxy?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭odie2020

Jeez thats not good

Try these

1. down the bottom of your gmail home page you will see
    Get the Gmail Notifier for the Mac. Learn more
    You are currently using 31 MB (0%) of your 7298 MB.
    Last account activity: 14 minutes ago at this IP (**.***.***.**). Details
    click on the details link
    Then select sign out all sessions
    2. Change your password often. and use something odd like 88+94JhY0
    or something like that

Check your secondary email address and also your security questions.

and it might be no harm to change your pay pal details as well just in case

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,291 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Yeah I changed all those things. I'm still a little bit shaken up TBH. I can tell from the activity that the guy got straight down to the business of trying to steal from me. Should I go down to the Garda station and hand them his IP address? Or was he likely using a proxy?

If it's an Irish IP it would be worth seeing what the Guards say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

As was pointed out above check what ISP provides the IP address and contact them with an abuse report. It's most likely a computer somewhere that has been compromised and on top of that it's likely to be in a jurisdiction where absolutely nothing can be done. Contacting the Gardaí would almost certainly be of no use except in very specific circumstances (ie. the unlikely event of an Irish IP address being used).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Yeah it's some U.S. company. Here's the IP: 70.161.175.153

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Maboza

A quick whois:

Cox Communications Inc.
    1400 Lake Hearn Drive
    Atlanta, GA
    US

Shackelford, Scott
    scott.shackelford@cox.com
    +1-404-269-7626

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

also check the fecker hasn't made any filters to his email address, ie copies of your email now going to him
    going to gardai will be useless, sure they cant even lock up the bankers for billions of euro's fraud and robbery there wont be much hope foe a compromised email address

Yeah it's some U.S. company. Here's the IP: 70.161.175.153

Cox are a large ISP, so most likely a compromised box. Drop them a mail and see if they are willing to do something. Quite a few US ISP's will block trojaned boxes until the owner cleans them up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement