Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

quick question

• 24-02-2009 10:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭

not sure if this should be here or in midband but does 02, 3 and voda have shared ip addresses and would they be shared in a cell or all over the country,
    like could somone in kerry and donegal end up with the same ip

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

guil07 wrote: »
    not sure if this should be here or in midband but does 02, 3 and voda have shared ip addresses and would they be shared in a cell or all over the country,
    like could somone in kerry and donegal end up with the same ip

IP addresses don't work like that, every modem is still assigned a unique IP, but they all appear the same due to the heavy proxy usage on such networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,502 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah i meant like if a mod here searched for an ip could several users show up with the same ip

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,572 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

yeah i meant like if a mod here searched for an ip could several users show up with the same ip

Only a mod can answer that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I have my broadband from a wireless provider as the copper where I live will barely support dial up. As far as the outside world is concerned my IP is the same as everyone else on the provider. That is the IP address of his gateway. The same way as if you had multiple computers sharing your BB connection each would have the same IP address as far as the outside world was concerned.

FSL wrote: »
    I have my broadband from a wireless provider as the copper where I live will barely support dial up. As far as the outside world is concerned my IP is the same as everyone else on the provider. That is the IP address of his gateway. The same way as if you had multiple computers sharing your BB connection each would have the same IP address as far as the outside world was concerned.

It almost certainly isn't. One is the use of NAT, the other is the use of a proxy. I'd be very surprised to find an ISP that NAT'd their entire customer base to a single IP like you suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Spear wrote: »
    It almost certainly isn't. One is the use of NAT, the other is the use of a proxy. I'd be very surprised to find an ISP that NAT'd their entire customer base to a single IP like you suggest.

Matter of fact, there are quite a few, that do, I'm afraid. Three for example has a bunch of IP's that they are nat'ing multiple customers behind and not on a 1:1 scheme, if you believe that. There's a good few small ISPs nat'ing their customers behind one IP, I could mention names, but I won't.

In general, the best suggestion is, if you end up with an ISP that does things like that, request that they'd assign unique public IP's (be it dynamic or static) or cancel the package.

/Martin

Marlow wrote: »
    Matter of fact, there are quite a few, that do, I'm afraid. Three for example has a bunch of IP's that they are nat'ing multiple customers behind and not on a 1:1 scheme, if you believe that. There's a good few small ISPs nat'ing their customers behind one IP, I could mention names, but I won't.

In general, the best suggestion is, if you end up with an ISP that does things like that, request that they'd assign unique public IP's (be it dynamic or static) or cancel the package.

/Martin

I could see it in very small rural ISP's, but I am genuinely surprised a large-ish lot like Three would try and do that. Got any links or info on how they're doing so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Marlow wrote: »
    There's a good few small ISPs nat'ing their customers behind one IP, I could mention names, but I won't.

Yep, my sister was with a local wireless operator, had a few hundred customers I believe, and her IP was 192.168.1.12. I was quite surprised, as I'd never seen a local address being assigned over what I would have thought should be a WAN connection. I thought this would have security implications, as in if everyone is on the same local net, then could they see each other's shares?

With regard Three, Vodafone and O2, I know that Three use a single IP for everyone, and then employ some sort of NAT, though I'm not aware of the details on how exactly this works. O2 assign each user a unique public IP address. I have no first hand experience of Vodafone, but I don't believe they share the IP address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Mods can't see the IP addresses, only Smods and Admins have access to that information. If people are using a shared IP, then an IP check would show the link between you and anyone other user on the same IP.

Shared IPs can result in issues, such as when one user gets IP banned from a particular server, everyone gets banned. Everyone on Three is banned from Xbox Live, I believe.

Advertisement