Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paddys day melbourne

Options
  • 24-02-2009 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Stay home :D

Seriously if you are really determined you could go to somewhere like Bridie O'Reilly's which I am sure will be packed like it is every year. I couldn't be bothered with it this year. The last few years have been non events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I have work the next day so I won't be doing much. I hate Bridie and PJ's and would rather not go there, even if is Paddy's day! Might go a few pints at the weekend though!

I hear ya. I have been to PJ's in Southbank a couple of times on a Sunday or week night and don't actually mind it. On the other hand I don't think I have ever enjoyed myself in Bridie's in the few times I've been. I'd much prefer a late bar or lounge with some downtempo music and relaxed crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

Not sure if I'll get up to anything for it this year, what with it being a Tuesday night and all. Ended up in PJs on Southbank last year - not a pub I really choose to go to often at all - and it was absolutely packed. Had to queue up for nearly an hour to get in at 6pm (I was meeting people who'd gone in earlier so had to go there) and once inside it was just crazy. You couldn't move inside for the amount of people in there. Also, stumbling out at about 2am and having to go to work the next day wasn't the most enjoyable experience in the world. I think it'll be a pretty low-key affair this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

The queit man from accounts of there website looks like there could be some craic to be had there, never been to flemington but there seems to be a tram and guess at very least a chance to see somewhere new.

I was thinking of getting this t shirt: http://www.speakupdesigns.com/irish/t_shirt_shirts.236798326

and one of them big hats

btw where in melbourne would you pick up one of those funny hats and are they expensive?

Come on a melbourne boards beer and i defo make it this time :D

• Advertisement

Traq wrote: »
    I think it'll be a pretty low-key affair this year.
    Same same. Although will definitely have to toast the Emerald Isle with a pint of Guinness in some establishment. You can take the boy out of Dublin but can't take Dublin out of the boy ... or something :-S
    neon_glows wrote:
    btw where in melbourne would you pick up one of those funny hats and are they expensive?
    Arthur Daley's clearance store on Swanston might be worth a shot.
    neon_glows wrote:
    Come on a melbourne boards beer and i defo make it this time :D
    We could always organize an impromptu (low key) Melbourne Beers for Paddies night. Anyone in?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Ah as its a weeknight you can count me out. Have to be up too early for work and anyway, the country trains don't run late enough. What I WILL be doing is going to the local Irish bar out here. They had a bunch of shambolic octagenarians warbling Danny Boy last year. Atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I'd be up for meeting. Don't know how late I'd be able to stay though, as it is a week night. Don't want to go to any packed Irish pub though :)

They had a bunch of shambolic octagenarians warbling Danny Boy last year. Atrocious.
    Sounds like a cracking night :D
    the dee wrote:
    I'd be up for meeting. Don't know how late I'd be able to stay though, as it is a week night. Don't want to go to any packed Irish pub though
    Yeah I might be up for a 'quiet one' too ;)

The Doutta Galla Hotel in Flemington is a good spot. I have been there the last few Sunday arvos. It is a short walk from 'The Quiet Man' should anyone start getting misty eyed and feel like sinking a few with their fellow compatriots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I drive by these places in the CBD but have drank only some of them

The Irish Times - little collins looks nice

The celtic club - guiness is muck

The Kilkenny bar - looks big

Osullivans -Moonee Ponds is nice

Bridie oreillys - Put up a new sign last night for paddys day

There is also some place in Footscray that has a Irish flag the size of texas , we almost thought we where on the falls road again.

• Advertisement

Zambia232 wrote: »
    There is also some place in Footscray that has a Irish flag the size of texas , we almost thought we where on the falls road again.

Ha i must look out for that, where in footscray is it?

mmm im confused as to what to do, personally im up for a cracker of a night! Its our night, it only comes once a year! Time to celebrated everything that is us.

Paddys day last year i was shocked at amount of people who tried to be irish, lol

Osullivans -Moonee Ponds is nice
    It may look nice but believe me it is full of drop kicks and Shazzas.

I dropped in there with a few friends last weekend on our way from the Cubby House in Essendon which was dead. You think Irish people have a rep for drunkenness? This place was out of control.

There was a gang of blokes who you could tell were at the cricket all day from their red faces and white eye patches. They were picking on this guy who was with his girl quietly minding their own business. They were absolute morons.

Then some drunken idiot stumbled up to try chat up one of the girls in our group. We decided to give him enough rope to hang himself. Unsurprisingly he made some classic chat up errors and finally crashed and burned. It was pure gold to watch.

Nearby a drunken couple well into their 40's were pashing in the middle of the floor while she was having her tits and ass groped in full view of everyone. I have never seen so many single 'cougars' wandering around looking to be chatted up in all my life. Some of them were absolutely feral!

dSTAR wrote: »
    It may look nice but believe me it is full of drop kicks and Shazzas.

I dropped in there with a few friends last weekend on our way from the Cubby House in Essendon which was dead. You think Irish people have a rep for drunkenness? This place was out of control.

There was a gang of blokes who you could tell were at the cricket all day from their red faces and white eye patches. They were picking on this guy who was with his girl quietly minding their own business. They were absolute morons.

Then some drunken idiot stumbled up to try chat up one of the girls in our group. We decided to give him enough rope to hang himself. Unsurprisingly he made some classic chat up errors and finally crashed and burned. It was pure gold to watch.

Nearby a drunken couple well into their 40's were pashing in the middle of the floor while she was having her tits and ass groped in full view of everyone. I have never seen so many single 'cougars' wandering around looking to be chatted up in all my life. Some of them were absolutely feral!

Note to self: Do NOT go here.:eek:

Never even heard of that place!

Note to self: Do NOT go here.:eek:

Never even heard of that place!
    It looks rather unassuming from the front well apart from weekend nights when you get throngs of people in the smoking area at the front. Inside is a cesspit with spilled drink and broken glass all over the floor.

The highlight of our quick visit there was seeing some guy who must have weighed in the region of 280 to 300 kilos with the biggest beer gut I have ever seen wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with the words Beer Disposal Unit. What a crack up!

That actually reminds me of one night I met someone I know for a quiet pint in Pugg Mahones in Carlton. I was nice a quiet, just a few people sitting around the bar. Then I went upstairs, and it was wedged, and hopping, and everyone was hammered and falling around the place. Complete contrast to downstairs!

Then I went upstairs, and it was wedged, and hopping, and everyone was hammered and falling around the place. Complete contrast to downstairs!
    Betcha there wasn't an Irish person to be seen or heard. That's what cracks me up about these Irish chain pubs. IME they are mostly filled with Aussies sinking the piss and getting raucous. The occasional Irish group are usually to be found sitting quietly in the corner bemused at the drunken shenanigans unfolding before their eyes.

Classic Dstar classic

The cubby house is meant to be nice the missus was there last friday and gave it a thumbs up actually and as for Sullivans only ever been there in daylight so thats a great review you just gave there.

sounds as if I have somewhere to go if i ever miss coppers...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭missannik

The Kilkenny bar - looks big

Isn't that a strip club? :confused:

missannik wrote: »

Could be I was flying by it ...

Could be I was flying by it ...

Pretty cool, flying backpackers, where will technology take us next:

jet_pack_h2o2_sfw.jpg

• Advertisement

missannik wrote: »
    If its the one on King Street it most definitely is a strip bar ;)

sounds as if I have somewhere to go if i ever miss coppers...:)

Guess you won't be going there then!
    dSTAR wrote: »
    If its the one on King Street it most definitely is a strip bar ;)

Ye durty yoke ye!

Ye durty yoke ye!
    I never claimed to be 'Captain Perfect'.

Lolz

Advertisement