Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 3 month old Sky HD box is shagged

Options
  • 24-02-2009 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭

My upgreaded Sky+ HD box was installed last early December and it appears to have the serial code for to be recalled by Sky.

Tonight when i wanted to press the red button on skysports and pick a game to watch the box would power off and die. I would also hear a little bit of sizzling sound as if wires were burning but when the box would die the noises would stop.

I would then power it back up and after a minute it would reboot as if no power had been getting to it. Then it would do its automatic search for channels and after about a minute it would start working normally again. At this stage of normality the sizzling sound would not be happening untiil i hit the red button again. Every time i pressed the red interactive button to pick a game it would go through this process of cutting out all over again.

Does anyone know what my rights are with Sky? To be honest i am three months into this new box upgrade and i regret getting into this one year minimum contract since finances are tight now with my €400 per month wages cuts too. confused.gif
    user_invisible.gifreport.gif progress.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I assume the box will be replaced by Sky? If so you have no rights to break the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

IIRC your new install is under waranty for a year, contact sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

Contact SKY - they'll replace the box. Very straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Big Wave wrote: »
    Contact SKY - they'll replace the box. Very straight forward.

Ha Ha thats so funny Big Wave wish it is very straight forward! :rolleyes:

Just want to let ye good people know a news update relating to my Sky HD faulty box.......frown.gif

I called sky over a week ago and they arranged for an engineer to call out. Within a few hours of calling Sky an engineer called me and when i quoted the Box Serial number he said mine was one of the ones for recall and he was surprised Sky had not contacted me to inform me. I told the lady about this and she denied claiming that no faulty boxes were ever given out to customers as the faulty batch were intercepted by Sky before releasing them to the general public.

Anyway he arranged to call the following day and he cancelled the following evening saying he was ruinning late yet i took off work 2 hours early to meet him. He did the very same the following day and never turned up to call me and once again re arrange for the following day. On the third day for him due to call he never turned up or called and i lost his number an di waitied around all that day.frown.gif

One week later i called Sky and the i explained my problem and i also highlighted the fact that Sky are charging me for HD sub and full channels Sub yet my box is broken and switched off for past week and half. During th ecall she contacted the engineer and he told her that he had called and rreplaced the box last week and that he had a docket/receipt signed by me for th eexchange and callout. IWhen she told me this i was furious and told her very clearly that this is untrue.

Eventually an hour later the engineer calle dme and told he he had been sick and that he wil call first thing tomorrow.

I was so furious i sat down and i wrote a letter to Sky Customer Relations and i put everything down in writing.

I also asked to be re-imbursed somethiong for the fact that i wasted two evenings off work and a whole Saturday as well as being at the loss of my HD and Channel viewing sub for almost two weeks.

I also requested to have my whole account closed (despite the upgraded HD box last December 2008)

Engineer due tomorrow.

I'd love to tell him to f**k off!!

I wonder if he calls will this affect my claim to compensation and termination request of my Sky Account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

I'd still send in the letter, if you haven't already done so. Sky are usually pretty good with complaints. When I got sky in the first time, the engineer was also a no-show where we'd waited around all day for him. Although we got the install a week later, we sent them an e-mail explaining the hassle we'd to go through. They then gave us the sports and movie channels along with all 6 mixes (can't remember what they were called back then!) but didn't charge us for sports and movies, equivalent to about €90 of subscription charges.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

send off the letter as sky will only be too happy to hear about how their service people are letting them and their customers down! and they will most likely reimburse you for the time you have been without service.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭mburke

Definetly send the letter, I sent an email via their website to them (max 1000 characters) about issues I had with my HD install. Approximately 3 weeks later I got a letter back and a refund for the issues I encountered. To be fair to sky it was pretty straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Sam Radford

Good man. Most people can't be bothered to write a letter.
    http://sam-radford.me.uk/how_to_complain.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭brianon

So waht happened in the end ?

I sent a big letter to Sky last Thursday no reply yet.

On the fourth day due for the installer (last Friday) he arranged to call Friday morning at 8.30am. I waited and waited and he finally came at 3pm.

He never looked ot check my box just whipped out the old one and replaced it with a different one and he quickly left. He said it will take between one and two hours for all the channels to come onto the new box.

After three hours the premium channels i.e. sports and movies nver came back onto the new box so i once again called the installer. Once again he explained to me that he had the channels will come on but may take up to four hours ot come on. I asked him am i not supposed ot call Sky and have Sky marry my card ot the new box and he said no that he has already contacted Sky and informed them.

I then went away for a few days holiday returned today and still no premium channels working and no letter response from Sky either :(

Do you think i should waste more money and sit on the phone for another hour waiting ot talk to someone in Sky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

IrishHomer wrote: »
    I then went away for a few days holiday returned today and still no premium channels working

You need to call sky to have your card changed to the new box.

If all other channels are there , but no premium than it will be the issue.

jhegarty wrote: »
    You need to call sky to have your card changed to the new box.

If all other channels are there , but no premium than it will be the issue.

But the Sky engineer/installer insisted he did this already and told me no need to call them again even though i pointed out to him clearly that its now the premium channels missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

IrishHomer wrote: »
    But the Sky engineer/installer insisted he did this already and told me no need to call them again even though i pointed out to him clearly that its now the premium channels missing?

He is possibly mistaken.

Advertisement