Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do mobiles cost that much to produce

• 24-02-2009 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭

The expensive mobiles that cost 5 or 6 hundred , are they actually that expensive to produce or do they just stick a high price on them because they are exclusive, compared to other things that cost that much - laptop computer, DSLR, top of the line GFX etc, you don't really get that much, all the other stuff you could understand the price.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

the top of the line phones are mini laptops, digital cameras and graphics cards all built into a really tiny package. It's not the unit price you're paying for, that's only a few euro as, you're paying for the research and design work that went into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭martin1016

I think I heard somewhere recently or read it,that the iPhone BOM was just under USD300 before assembly costs. ASUS netbook BOM is under USD200. I will see if I can find it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Answer: no! They cost hardly anything. They don't, contrary to common wisdom, do R&D; parts come from ebay and buy&sell. Any creche teacher has preschoolers build 5mp cams and gps into old 1110's...for fun, and to keep them quiet. The reason that the computing power of the n96 20 years ago would have required a whole building is a rumour;...the firsy moto pebl was a sliced potatoe and some old copper found in a Supermacs bin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

strecker wrote: »
    the first moto pebl was a sliced potatoe and some old copper found in a Supermacs bin!

Sounds about right for a moto phone :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Sounds about right for a moto phone :P

Yeah, poor example hahahaha
    Most of moto's r&d costs these days are about keeping track of all razr-models... No wonder the Q11 faces delays :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Well I cant be sure with mobiles but take an item like the Playstation 3, Sony have made a loss on every single one of these consoles they have sold.

Advertisement