Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon lens for high key portraiture?

• 24-02-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭

I'm finally getting one of those lastolite highlight boxes with a bowen 2x500 strobe kit, and wonder how people have fared with Canon lenses for this type of work.

I have the 85mm f1.2 L II and the 70-200 f2.8 L IS, but I've noticed some CA with both on night shots around lamps, could this also be an issue with high key portraits for 8"x10" colour prints or am I good to go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You wont have any trouble with CA in studio lighting apertures with either lens, I bought the Hi-Lite to use in peoples homes and as such space is usually at a premium and I use a 24-70 f2.8L for most of the shots with it and sometimes a 17-40 f4L at a pinch. I have found one light in the Hi-Lite is more than sufficent for anything I have shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Borderfox wrote: »
    You wont have any trouble with CA in studio lighting apertures with either lens, I bought the Hi-Lite to use in peoples homes and as such space is usually at a premium and I use a 24-70 f2.8L for most of the shots with it and sometimes a 17-40 f4L at a pinch. I have found one light in the Hi-Lite is more than sufficent for anything I have shot.
    That's great news thanks. Having seen the results you posted on the other thread things are looking mighty good I'm looking forward to it.

At some stage I'll need to cover the tighter working distance alright. The nifty 50, ts-e 24 and siggy 24-70 2.8 are get out of jail jobs for the moment but the L zoom you use looks like a real winner when it's tots to adults in quick succession.

Slightly off topic, I'm guessing the trick is pick a spot for the subject, light correctly, then set zoom/tripod height for each composition?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

No tripod needed, I shoot mostly at 1/160th and around f9 for most jobs. Nearly any lens around f8-f9 is going to look great too. With Kids you cant have it on a tripod as they move around too much and to keep the flow going you have to move with them. If they are low change the main light to match and if they are high adjust accordingly.

Advertisement