Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holywells

Options
  • 25-02-2009 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

What has happened to Holywells????? I was heartbroken to see the gaudy yellow signs of Mustard in it's place!! I will never find ravioli like it again...:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Can't say much for Mustard. Food quality's gone down in a tailspin since the move. My family and I ate their twice so far. The second time everyone's food was delayed by forty minutes. They acted casual and collected about it, not even offering anyone some bread or free drinks. Nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Only ever been to Mustard once, with a 2 for 1 offer

At half price I was delighted, if I were to pay full price for the stuff i'd have been disgusted - way better value to be had around and better quality food too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Haha, us too, twice!

The billpayer in the family couldn't agree more :D

Haha, us too, twice!

The billpayer in the family couldn't agree more :D

Think about this one.....

Main Course at Mustard will cost you about 14euro

Now, for 29.95, double the price of a meal at Mustard, you can get a 2 course meal at the G and a cinema ticket!

And restaurants/pubs wonder why they're going out of business. This recession is doing me big favours... i'm getting bargains all round. Last Saturday I stated in the Berkley/Ballsbridge Court hotel - Double room (room only) for €20.09! I was so impressed that i'm going up again the weekend after next for 2 nights.... ffs a bottle of wine at dinner (in a different place) cost me more than the room!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Labhaoise

Can't say much for Mustard. Food quality's gone down in a tailspin since the move. My family and I ate their twice so far. The second time everyone's food was delayed by forty minutes. They acted casual and collected about it, not even offering anyone some bread or free drinks. Nothing.
    YES I agree one Mustard in town more than satisfies the town's need for weird burgers. 40 minutes is steep! especially if it was not particularly busy!
    Don't even start on the bread thing. The bread and the olive oil in Holywell's was on it's own enough to entice me in!!!

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Think about this one.....

Main Course at Mustard will cost you about 14euro

Now, for 29.95, double the price of a meal at Mustard, you can get a 2 course meal at the G and a cinema ticket!

And restaurants/pubs wonder why they're going out of business. This recession is doing me big favours... i'm getting bargains all round. Last Saturday I stated in the Berkley/Ballsbridge Court hotel - Double room (room only) for €20.09! I was so impressed that i'm going up again the weekend after next for 2 nights.... ffs a bottle of wine at dinner (in a different place) cost me more than the room!
    For sure if you have even just a wee bit of disposable income there are great bargains! is that offer going on for a while at the g???

Labhaoise wrote: »
    For sure if you have even just a wee bit of disposable income there are great bargains! is that offer going on for a while at the g???

Can't be sure how long it's on for, but here's a sniplet from another post in Galway City Forum (Local Bargains): http://www.theghotel.ie/media/files/g_dinnerMovie.pdf
    Thank you for your email. Please note that the dinner is in the Lounge
    area. Please find the menu attached. When you decide on a movie, date
    and time please call or email me with that detail along with the number
    of persons you with to reserve for and I will reserve a table for you as
    well as the tickets

And here's the Menu:
    Starter

Cream of Roasted Tomato Soup
    Finished with Balsamic Vinegar

Smoked Salmon Plate
    Organic Salmon from the Connemara Smokehouse

g – style Presentation of the Classic Caesar Salad
    With Smoked Local Chicken

Main Course

Char Grilled Butterfly of Local Chicken
    Hand Cut Chips and Local Leaves with Balsamic Reduction

Classic Fish ‘n Chips
    Local Fillet of Cod
    Deep Fired in Beer Batter with Chunky Chips

Homemade Tagliatelle Pasta
    In a Sauce of Wild Mushrooms

Dessert

Valrhona Chocolate
    Selection of Chocolate Desserts

Warm Oat Crumble
    Apples & Brown Sugar

Chilled Parfait
    Of Lemon Meringue Pie

Dinner & A Movie Package Includes:

A Starter & A Main Course
    or
    A Main Course & Dessert

Valid from Sunday-Thursday

TBH i'm not a fan of the G but comparing prices for other bar food around Galway i'm willing to give it a go. Also I had an email response from the Events manager within a half hour of sending the email today - it's these little things that scream out good customer service to me

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Can't be sure how long it's on for, but here's a sniplet from another post in Galway City Forum (Local Bargains): http://www.theghotel.ie/media/files/g_dinnerMovie.pdf

And here's the Menu:

Valid from Sunday-Thursday

TBH i'm not a fan of the G but comparing prices for other bar food around Galway i'm willing to give it a go. Also I had an email response from the Events manager within a half hour of sending the email today - it's these little things that scream out good customer service to me
    That is impressive!!
    I had my christmas party in the G and the food was great, and at that it was only finger food! I did find it a bit intimidating I have to say, not usually into frequenting posh eateries- hence my sadness at Holywell's closure! But I think I shall be definitely giving that a go!What a cheap night! Thanks for that, enjoy the meal! If it compares to our Christmas finger food you'll be ok!!!

Labhaoise wrote: »
    That is impressive!!
    I had my christmas party in the G and the food was great, and at that it was only finger food! I did find it a bit intimidating I have to say, not usually into frequenting posh eateries- hence my sadness at Holywell's closure! But I think I shall be definitely giving that a go!What a cheap night! Thanks for that, enjoy the meal! If it compares to our Christmas finger food you'll be ok!!!

Aye, G aint really my thing. The odd time that I do upmarket it's Ashford all the way for it's creeky floorboards etc. as opposed to sterile posh decor

Won't be doing the G thing for 2 weeks as i'm away at conferences for the coming weekends but will give a review when I do it. OK so it's gonna cost 60euro for a meal and cinema (gotta be a gentleman n all ;)) but sure cinema tickets are gonna cost 20 anyhow for 2, then if ya have 2 drinks each thats another 20, and any gammy oul bar food is gonna cost at least 20 for 2 people - doesn't seem like a bad offer provided the service is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Holywells was vile! The service there was awful too.

I remember getting a starter there that was still in the shape of the tin can they had pushed it out of.

Mustard is nice but it is a rip off. If they keep the two for one offer up I'll go again though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I thought the food was consistently good. Less fond of the starters, but the main courses were lovely and the desserts would feed a small country.
    Only fully veg place in town too. Pity they closed, they had just started a cool music night and cocktail bar.
    Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jmauel

I have to admit I was also very sad to see the Holywell go. Their green ravioli was out of this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

their was a lot of confusion with it's closure and all the staff were owed money when it was closed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Never went to the old Mustard, since I didn't even hear of it until they moved.

I can't complain about the new one, though, enjoyed it very much while there. As far as being a rip off - so far nothing in Galway is a rip off after a year spent in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

inisboffin wrote: »
    Pity they closed, they had just started a cool music night and cocktail bar.
    Oh well.

And I was playing on that new night :(

And I was playing on that new night :(

Yeah, so were 2 diff friends of mine. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭tonyhiggins

Oh yeah? I might know em...

Ya might! ;)

One guy one girl. Both fond of the guitar.
    I think each of them did only one gig there before it went belly-up

Advertisement