Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who'd you vote for?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

I didn't bother, but I'm sure some of you did.

I have to admire the only person who actually came to a class to make a speech, she was running for SU academic something-or-other. Pity her spiel totally got my goat up - she assumed she was talking to postgrads and how they deserve a few slots where only they (as in postgrads) can use the computer room at certain slots - she can take a jump with that one. I'll be vehemently against any such proposal. Making out that undergrads spend all their time 'chatting and on bebo' certainly wasn't the right way to talk to a room that contained under and post-grads!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 spiderpig101

sunnyjim wrote: »

I have to admire the only person who actually came to a class to make a speech, she was running for SU academic something-or-other. Pity her spiel totally got my goat up - she assumed she was talking to postgrads and how they deserve a few slots where only they (as in postgrads) can use the computer room at certain slots - she can take a jump with that one. I'll be vehemently against any such proposal. Making out that undergrads spend all their time 'chatting and on bebo' certainly wasn't the right way to talk to a room that contained under and post-grads!

Must have came to my class after, had changed speech not to include any mention of us wasting time on computers:rolleyes:

And no I didn't vote:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭xtremepoizn

Vote!? What Vote!???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭InTranceWeTrust

I remember being so stoned yesterday that I stared in awe at the male student at the table who asked me if I wanted to vote yesterday. I think I let out a soft moan as well. The poor guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

i would say the person you were on about was naimh foley running for vice president acadmic and student affairs. Well good to see the people of DIT care so much about the people who run the student union. I am anything about the people who have/will post here but it is generally the people who dont vote that will turn around next year and be giving out about the college about things that dont work or their timetable is not helpfull and will go to the elected officers to complain and most likey give out that they did nothing.(if you dont vote you cant complain) sop hopefully the people in AST esp who did not vote will learn there lesson and vote next year

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

if you don't vote then you cannot complain...i take it that sunnyjim you are one of those people who sit on the fence and hurl abuse to to sound important... and you don't consider the facts....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nemothefish

if you don't vote then you cannot complain...i take it that sunnyjim you are one of those people who sit on the fence and hurl abuse to to sound important... and you don't consider the facts....

oh and I did vote...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Vote?, did that last year and **** all seems to have changed/improved.
    I will continue not to vote from now on.

Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

oh and I did vote...

thats it fish take no prisioners
    Naikon wrote: »

Go figure!

you seem to think you have to have seen things to know it has happened. The informal learning centres (computers) that have gone up across all the sites was done by the vice presidents the libuary opening up a week earlier after xmas was the work of tracey. The big bash rag week shag week fiance week is all the work of the sababical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

The only reason i voted was to get them off my back , one lad wouldn't let me leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

oh and I did vote...

Yeah, you got me in one! Hurling abuse makes me feel BIG!!!

No, I'm just quite apathetic when it comes to petty student politics. Maybe when the recession really hits we will have problems that need addressing.

Interesting point. Niamh Foleys manifesto in TOAST mentioned having specific times for final year students in the computer lab. As well as that on top of post grads having their own slot. Just adding more layers to the DIT beaureucratic system. Maybe we should bring back the FAG system as well!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 tonyfloney

Yeah, you got me in one! Hurling abuse makes me feel BIG!!!

No, I'm just quite apathetic when it comes to petty student politics. Maybe when the recession really hits we will have problems that need addressing.

Interesting point. Niamh Foleys manifesto in TOAST mentioned having specific times for final year students in the computer lab. As well as that on top of post grads having their own slot. Just adding more layers to the DIT beaureucratic system. Maybe we should bring back the FAG system as well!!

Its nice to know that you think the student politics is petty, you don't know much about it then so, the work the students union do is great and if they weren't there then alot of students wouldn't be in college. DITSU is a shining lite across the country as unions go they are the only union in the country that have a back bone of full time staff to help out students. Its very easy to make sweeping statements and just say the union is crap and that the union is s**t etc but its your union your money and your attitude that have the union put down every time on boards or where ever else you piss on people as you don't care about helping other people along that way but just sit on the fence....good work people!!!! I say get involved with the union and STOP CRYING YOUR EYES OUT WITH THESE SILLY COMMENTS!!!!

P.S I am a student who cares and the union has helped me with my problems so than you to them!!! and I did vote for Tracey, Jen and Seany.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭experiMental

Go figure!

I sort of disagree, you should see what happened to Mountjoy: new computer area, better canteen, better shop and a ping-pong table. All thanks to services and trading president. Or something like that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

I didnt. I don't think any of them made a decent effort to canvass or tell people about their views. The posters that are handwritten scribbles on a clothes-line type thing in Kevin Street are a disgrace. If you want to be elected, surely you could bother to write your name clearly and neatly?

I went to vote anyway on thursday for the only candidate i heard anything about even though i wasnt overly impressed with her ideas, but at least she had some guys out there (think her name was jen jordan or something), but it wasnt open. I thought voting was tues, wed and thurs but i must have been wrong.
    Anyway, the only thing the SU seem to do is organise bands for the snackery on days when I really need to study in the library!
    *rant over*
    Who was elected anyway?! :D

STOP CRYING YOUR EYES OUT WITH THESE SILLY COMMENTS!!!!

I'd call them opinions, more thatn silly comments. And beside, I think the award of 'most emotive post of the thread' is coming form non only than yourself.

C'mon tonyfloney. Let me have my opinion.

There's been quit a few posters who seem to be tarring myself with some sort of stereotype - in that I'll somehow be desperately be seeking the help of the SU in future, and that I'll be eating my words. Where'd you pull that one from? I've just taken a look at my first post. You all seem very cut up by my 1 and only offensive line:

I'm not dissing all the work done by all the members - sabbat or otherwise - because there are people who want to get stuff done, but they are hindered by student apathy, staff apathy and resistance to change from above.

Jeapy wrote: »
    I didnt. I don't think any of them made a decent effort to canvass or tell people about their views. The posters that are handwritten scribbles on a clothes-line type thing in Kevin Street are a disgrace. If you want to be elected, surely you could bother to write your name clearly and neatly?

I went to vote anyway on thursday for the only candidate i heard anything about even though i wasnt overly impressed with her ideas, but at least she had some guys out there (think her name was jen jordan or something), but it wasnt open. I thought voting was tues, wed and thurs but i must have been wrong.
    Anyway, the only thing the SU seem to do is organise bands for the snackery on days when I really need to study in the library!
    *rant over*
    Who was elected anyway?! :D

Ok a few things to sort out the posters that were hand written were space holders and they are given out to all candidates that are running on the first day of elections as space holders for the designed posters to come along afterwards. Each person have a budget of €150 to print off there designed posters and flyers etc so that its fair and equal across the board.

The candidates cant use texts of emails to campaign so thats why each poster is vital to the campaign. there was a thing up on ditsu all about what people were allowed to do.

anyway moving on to the bands thing, the union do organise bands and stuff for the snackery and for bolton st and for auinger st and for etc etc etc would you rather have no entertainment on the ground. I think its good to see young bands in or something at least. sure the venga boys are s""t and ya wouldnt pay good money to see them but at least there is something on in the day time. I hear you that you have to study thats cool but other people have lunch times and I like bands in bolton st at least dont know about the snackery.

Anyway as you were saying Rant over too ha ha ha

The winners of the elections were tracey, Jen and Sean.:cool::cool::cool:

http://www.ditsu.ie/election-winners

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

tonyfloney wrote: »
    Ok a few things to sort out the posters that were hand written were space holders and they are given out to all candidates that are running on the first day of elections as space holders for the designed posters to come along afterwards. Each person have a budget of €150 to print off there designed posters and flyers etc so that its fair and equal across the board.
    [/url]

Thanks for the reply. I get what you say about spaceholding but they were never replaced in Kevin St. It just looked pretty pathetic. It makes you think, if this is their imput into actually getting elected, will they do anything if they do get elected?
    As for the bands, Im all for entertainment but the timing seems pretty crap sometimes! There was one playing (Ian I Brow) last year when I was a 4th year during study week in May while the library upstairs was packed. Hardly appropriate!
    Thanks for posting the results and for your reply.

Jeapy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I get what you say about spaceholding but they were never replaced in Kevin St. It just looked pretty pathetic. It makes you think, if this is their imput into actually getting elected, will they do anything if they do get elected?
    As for the bands, Im all for entertainment but the timing seems pretty crap sometimes! There was one playing (Ian I Brow) last year when I was a 4th year during study week in May while the library upstairs was packed. Hardly appropriate!
    Thanks for posting the results and for your reply.

No problem what so ever at least we both agree that some of the bands last year were **** and bad timing but that was down to the last convenor right? this convenor (kst) seems to be trying to get stuff done in kevin st.

and I hear you what your saying about the posters they looked crap ha ha but I suppose its over now lets hope they do stuff for us next year!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭the_dart

Can't believe Tracey was elected. F*** sake. Its a promotion for complete failure of an SU President team. She talked about change more than Obama, but it was like Dick Cheney running for President ad promising a change. Be prepared for the same old. Doyle, Dunne, and now Tracey. Nothing new. Nothing to see, nothing happening around here.

When I was in first year, it was last year of the Bob Coggins era. DIT life was fantastic. There was lots going on. Boy, has DITSU went off the cliff ever since then. Ever since, we have elected incompetent schmucks who seem only interesting in there C.V. than changing DITSU for the better. The only thing these clowns have achieved is that nobody seems to care or be bothered about the student anymore. That is, the majority I'm talking about, the average student. Of course the close circuit group of cronies that make up SU care continue to be the only ones who give a toss about it. Problem is, such a mentality means that DITSU continue to be unaccountable to nobody and is the best bureaucracy since the FÁS.

One would like to see a thorough account of how these yahoo's spend our money. I for one would rather receive a refund from my registration fee than have it wasted by the DITSU shambles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Congradulations to Sean Campbell. He really deserved it.

orla wrote: »
    Congradulations to Sean Campbell. He really deserved it.

I know him, he is sound, I think he will do a good job!!! I hope so anyway,:) he told me that you can kick him in the arse if he doesn't do a good job....ha ha you got to like the guy!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

+1 on congrats to Sean, he's a pretty lively character around Kevin St.....

But as for Flinter Bang or whatever her name is....jeeez
    the_dart wrote: »
    When I was in first year, it was last year of the Bob Coggins era. DIT life was fantastic. There was lots going on. Boy, has DITSU went off the cliff ever since then. Ever since, we have elected incompetent schmucks who seem only interesting in there C.V. than changing DITSU for the better. The only thing these clowns have achieved is that nobody seems to care or be bothered about the student anymore. That is, the majority I'm talking about, the average student. Of course the close circuit group of cronies that make up SU care continue to be the only ones who give a toss about it. Problem is, such a mentality means that DITSU continue to be unaccountable to nobody and is the best bureaucracy since the FÁS.

Yeah i was in first year for Bob Coggins SU, it was indeed better seemed to be more happening! But i wouldn't have described it as fantastic in comparison to the other third level RAG week/events etc at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 i.like.stuff

Can't believe Tracey was elected. F*** sake. Its a promotion for complete failure of an SU President team. She talked about change more than Obama, but it was like Dick Cheney running for President ad promising a change. Be prepared for the same old. Doyle, Dunne, and now Tracey. Nothing new. Nothing to see, nothing happening around here.

One would like to see a thorough account of how these yahoo's spend our money. I for one would rather receive a refund from my registration fee than have it wasted by the DITSU shambles.

Are you for real? Did you actually research ANYTHING before writing this? Tracey has done more in her position as VP that almost any other VP in that position. If you were really that interested in changing things GET INVOLVED, be a governing counciler, they control the presidents through mandated. Be a convenor, that are the ones that take care of students on a local level. Be a class rep, they are the class' link to the union. Dont sit there posting utter uneducated bull, do something about it, the presidents and convenors cant do anything without the students and governing councilers telling them what to do, thats politics for ya , so unless you are going to get involved and tell them what you want done, just shut up cos complaining on boards will get you no where!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CilitBang

I think the problem is that students don't know what/how much work the SU does. Maybe they should do a poster campaign, like with stats saying how many people they've helped; what changes they've made; what stuff they've fixed, so every student knows. Cause all we see are events and free stuff every now and then.

Are you for real? Did you actually research ANYTHING before writing this? Tracey has done more in her position as VP that almost any other VP in that position. If you were really that interested in changing things GET INVOLVED, be a governing counciler, they control the presidents through mandated. Be a convenor, that are the ones that take care of students on a local level. Be a class rep, they are the class' link to the union. Dont sit there posting utter uneducated bull, do something about it, the presidents and convenors cant do anything without the students and governing councilers telling them what to do, thats politics for ya , so unless you are going to get involved and tell them what you want done, just shut up cos complaining on boards will get you no where!!!

Don't give us this 'get involved' malarky.
    Dont sit there posting utter uneducated bull, do something about it, the presidents and convenors cant do anything without the students and governing councilers telling them what to do, thats politics for ya

OH WE CANT DO ANYTHING WITHOUT PEOPLE TELLING US.
    WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN ANY OFFICIAL COMPLAINTS.
    WE WAIT PATIENTLY IN OUR OFFICE FOR PEOPLE TO COME AND COMPLAIN, NO ONE COMES WE MUST BE SO GREAT.

The classic retorts from beauracracies world wide! The complaints are being made here; the suggestions are being made here; why do we have to become governor/class rep/whatever to be able to make suggestions? Instead of trying to jusify your wages by waiting in an office, how about you ACCEPT THE INTOOOORNET for what it is, and take heed of what is being said here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 i.like.stuff

The classic retorts from beauracracies world wide! The complaints are being made here; the suggestions are being made here; why do we have to become governor/class rep/whatever to be able to make suggestions? Instead of trying to jusify your wages by waiting in an office, how about you ACCEPT THE INTOOOORNET for what it is, and take heed of what is being said here.

Again a totally uneducated response! There is loads of ways to contact the presidents and convenors if you have issues. Convenors are always on site to talk to. The numbers and e-mails for the presidents are on the website or in your SU office, and the presidents float around so you can talk to them face to face, so you can contact them at any stage, you dont NEED to be a rep or convenor. If you really feel strongly about your issues why dont you contact them and say it to them, rather than you sitting behind your computer waiting for them to read all your bull and complaints on boards!

Yes I am for real. Are you? Because you sound like an “insider” to me. So instead of just posting your emotions, why don’t you listen up and take some notes.

Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say that DITSU has improved or even remained static since the end of the Bob Coggins era? I believe it has gone off a cliff. It seems that incompetent fools are being elected to these positions, obviously because they’re popular enough among certain circles but also because of a lack of competition for the job, ie. Congratulations to Sean Campbell for successful being elected in an uncontested election. That’s a fantastic achievement.

Of course the lack of real competition for these jobs stems from a lack of interest because for right or for wrong (I’d argue it’s right) students perceive the union as being run by incompetent, unaccountable cronies who are only interested in themselves and their C.V.’s rather than working for the students, improving DITSU and making DIT overall a better college experience for the students who attend the college.

Don’t talk to me like I’m an unknown, I’ve been involved with student life in DIT. I’ve dealt with our overlords in the SU over the years. I’ve seen them in action. I was very much impressed when I was a first year student during Bob Coggins’ year of President, since then I’ve watched the demise. DITSU and student life in general in DIT rates poorly compared to UCD and Trinity. I think DIT does care about this and the SU is very lucky to have so much support from DIT, such as “Campus Life”, the “Societies Office” etc. It would also appear that DIT funds its societies etc. very generously. Point is it could be a lot worse.

Tracey has been VP in a year that I would classify thus far as a failure for DITSU. There appears to be absolutely nothing going on, nothing happening. And from talking to fellow students from my own course and other courses, the general consensus I’ve found has been DITSU is a disgrace. Of course, these people are not inside people.

So, “i.like.stuff” seen as your obviously on the inside, can I ask you a few questions which you might be able to answer.

1.How much do these balloon heads get paid to run DITSU on our behalf for the year?

2.How do you justify your previously stated belief that Tracey deserves to be President, while she promises to change college life for the better, when she is currently VP, and appears to innocent bystanders, to be doing nothing to change DITSU

3.Julian got elected by going around classes promising all kinds of great improvements to student life in DIT by cleverly ranting against the current state of DITU (“RAG week just gone by, I barely noticed” – I quote Julian) – Why is Julian such a disaster? Has anyone hinted to him that he’s a disgrace? How can we get him sacked? (serious question – if he can held to account for his action, or inactions rather, prove it. And I don't want to hear anymore nonsense about getting yourself elected a convenor etc. These morons are elected to work on our behalf. The top three, especially Jules, are incompetent and I'm simply asking how we the students can hold them accountable for not fullfilling their promises)

4.Has Martin Dunne done anything that’s tangible and of any importance? (not interested in turning this into a fees debate)

5.Have you done any surveys of students’ attitude towards the union and how they rate their elected officials with comments for improvement? Rating the student officers is very important. It’s called performance measurement. If you circularise it generally and not amongst your buddies, you may be surprised by the results which I believe will highlight a high degree of dissatisfaction among students. Of course this would bring some accountability and publicity into the arena, and that’s not what these banana heads want.

6.Can I opt not to be a member of DITSU?

7.Can I have my money back?

You can go on if you like, burying your heads in the sand, but you will continue to hear these sorts of complaints and many more on a regular basis, until you finally wake-up and smell the cheese or until someone competent, finally manages to get elected to a position of influence. I wouldn’t bet on it. DITSU is a shambles and a thundering disgrace.

Actually, it just occured to me that the student should be able to opt out of
    automatic asscociation with the Union. The registration fee could be a bit more palatable for most students next year, if most of it wasn't going to the SU.

I am not agaisnt a student union, but it seems a bit crappy that most of your registration fee is wasted. An educated guess of about 1/3rd of the registration fee is actually colleg/academia related.
    Maybe I am ignorant, but what the hell is the SU portion of the registration actually spent on each year?

Opinions?

Actually, it just occured to me that the student should be able to opt out of
    automatic asscociation with the Union. The registration fee could be a bit more palatable for most students next year, if most of it wasn't going to the SU.

I am not agaisnt a student union, but it seems a bit crappy that most of your registration fee is wasted. An educated guess of about 1/3rd of the registration fee is actually colleg/academia related.
    Maybe I am ignorant, but what the hell is the SU portion of the registration actually spent on each year?

Opinions?

I totally agree 100%. We should have a choice about whether we want to join the union or not.

This is a gret solution and suits everyone perfectly. We wouldn't be complaining about the union because we don't have a stake in it. And the union people can go on burying their heads in the sand and don't have to listen to our criticisim

The SU iwould be happy because they've still got their union malarky etc. and I'm happy because it wouldn't be my money they're pissing away.

Win win situation for everyone

Though, I hope this doesn't distract "i.like.stuff" or any other annoymous union person from answering the seven simple questions I posed earlier.

Yes I am for real. Are you? Because you sound like an “insider” to me. So instead of just posting your emotions, why don’t you listen up and take some notes.

Can you honestly put your hand on your heart and say that DITSU has improved or even remained static since the end of the Bob Coggins era? I believe it has gone off a cliff. It seems that incompetent fools are being elected to these positions, obviously because they’re popular enough among certain circles but also because of a lack of competition for the job, ie. Congratulations to Sean Campbell for successful being elected in an uncontested election. That’s a fantastic achievement.

Of course the lack of real competition for these jobs stems from a lack of interest because for right or for wrong (I’d argue it’s right) students perceive the union as being run by incompetent, unaccountable cronies who are only interested in themselves and their C.V.’s rather than working for the students, improving DITSU and making DIT overall a better college experience for the students who attend the college.

Don’t talk to me like I’m an unknown, I’ve been involved with student life in DIT. I’ve dealt with our overlords in the SU over the years. I’ve seen them in action. I was very much impressed when I was a first year student during Bob Coggins’ year of President, since then I’ve watched the demise. DITSU and student life in general in DIT rates poorly compared to UCD and Trinity. I think DIT does care about this and the SU is very lucky to have so much support from DIT, such as “Campus Life”, the “Societies Office” etc. It would also appear that DIT funds its societies etc. very generously. Point is it could be a lot worse.

Tracey has been VP in a year that I would classify thus far as a failure for DITSU. There appears to be absolutely nothing going on, nothing happening. And from talking to fellow students from my own course and other courses, the general consensus I’ve found has been DITSU is a disgrace. Of course, these people are not inside people.

So, “i.like.stuff” seen as your obviously on the inside, can I ask you a few questions which you might be able to answer.

1.How much do these balloon heads get paid to run DITSU on our behalf for the year?

2.How do you justify your previously stated belief that Tracey deserves to be President, while she promises to change college life for the better, when she is currently VP, and appears to innocent bystanders, to be doing nothing to change DITSU

3.Julian got elected by going around classes promising all kinds of great improvements to student life in DIT by cleverly ranting against the current state of DITU (“RAG week just gone by, I barely noticed” – I quote Julian) – Why is Julian such a disaster? Has anyone hinted to him that he’s a disgrace? How can we get him sacked? (serious question – if he can held to account for his action, or inactions rather, prove it. And I don't want to hear anymore nonsense about getting yourself elected a convenor etc. These morons are elected to work on our behalf. The top three, especially Jules, are incompetent and I'm simply asking how we the students can hold them accountable for not fullfilling their promises)

4.Has Martin Dunne done anything that’s tangible and of any importance? (not interested in turning this into a fees debate)

5.Have you done any surveys of students’ attitude towards the union and how they rate their elected officials with comments for improvement? Rating the student officers is very important. It’s called performance measurement. If you circularise it generally and not amongst your buddies, you may be surprised by the results which I believe will highlight a high degree of dissatisfaction among students. Of course this would bring some accountability and publicity into the arena, and that’s not what these banana heads want.

6.Can I opt not to be a member of DITSU?

7.Can I have my money back?

You can go on if you like, burying your heads in the sand, but you will continue to hear these sorts of complaints and many more on a regular basis, until you finally wake-up and smell the cheese or until someone competent, finally manages to get elected to a position of influence. I wouldn’t bet on it. DITSU is a shambles and a thundering disgrace.

so you want to leave the union good for you...dont come crying your eyes out when you fail your exams or miss a deadline or your lectures tell you to F..k off as you are on your own....brains should be your new names or dopies!!!

Very simple people no union no legs to stand on!!! believe it or not the union does loads of work so dont start all the s..te talking just cos you couildnt have the balls to run for elections

True? balls? join in the union and see for yourself? pick one office tomorrow and go in and start asking questions and see what life is like outside of your bedroom......................M/B:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

• Advertisement

tonyfloney wrote: »
    so you want to leave the union good for you...dont come crying your eyes out when you fail your exams or miss a deadline or your lectures tell you to F..k off as you are on your own

The Union actually has very little to no influence when it comes to Academic affairs.
    It would be best to file a case on the student's own behalf(even though it would still be thrown in the bin probably) then to bitch to the SU about it.

The SU are useful in some respects, but when it comes to assignments/failing exams
    ect, it's more a case of "contact the course head" or "read the course document".
    I.E, you're on your own buddy/budess :)

This really isn't the fault of the SU though, academic affairs have nothing to do with student affairs.
    It's not the fault of the SU that DIT is rigid when it comes to appeals, resits ect.

Advertisement