Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to sniff out some wireless

Options
  • 25-02-2009 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,083 ✭✭✭

Ok, I'm doing an FYP using an avisaro wlan 2.0 module

[pointless boring part]
    These things are the stupidest pieces of equipment made, It cost me €140 and came with absolutely nothing, just the module.

You configure it by connecting to it over the wireless, it started as a ad-hoc connection but for my project I had to connect it to a router, so I configured it to connect to my home router, after a few painful hours of it not working i figured it must have retained its original Ip address and changed the router to suit that logged in and cahnged it to something more usefull and changed the router back.

Was working fine other than i need to connect it to a nintendo DS and the DS doesnt support WPA

So i set up a seperate router with the SSID: fyp with no encryption. I logged into the wlan module and changed the the ssid to suit (didnt press ok) clicked the IP page to change the IP address and changed that (didnt press ok) went to the main page to double check my settings were right and it didn't load up.

So im guessing one of these settings loaded up, it doesnt seem to be both of them because the bloody thing isnt working! I've tried changing the Ip ranges on both routers and the thing still isnt connecting

[end boring part]

Is there a software that can monitor what wireless signals are being transmitted? Like even if i could find out its what SSID it was looking for i could just keep trying different Ip ranges

there is no external reset for this module

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, i wont be able to reply back as i am giving up posting for lent, but I'll throw a few thanks yous around :)

BTW my laptop has an intel chipset and runs XP and linux, my PC has a Raink Turbo wireless card and is running XP

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Ok, I'm doing an FYP using an avisaro wlan 2.0 module

[pointless boring part]
    These things are the stupidest pieces of equipment made, It cost me €140 and came with absolutely nothing, just the module.

You configure it by connecting to it over the wireless, it started as a ad-hoc connection but for my project I had to connect it to a router, so I configured it to connect to my home router, after a few painful hours of it not working i figured it must have retained its original Ip address and changed the router to suit that logged in and cahnged it to something more usefull and changed the router back.

Was working fine other than i need to connect it to a nintendo DS and the DS doesnt support WPA

So i set up a seperate router with the SSID: fyp with no encryption. I logged into the wlan module and changed the the ssid to suit (didnt press ok) clicked the IP page to change the IP address and changed that (didnt press ok) went to the main page to double check my settings were right and it didn't load up.

So im guessing one of these settings loaded up, it doesnt seem to be both of them because the bloody thing isnt working! I've tried changing the Ip ranges on both routers and the thing still isnt connecting

[end boring part]

Is there a software that can monitor what wireless signals are being transmitted? Like even if i could find out its what SSID it was looking for i could just keep trying different Ip ranges

there is no external reset for this module

Thanks in advance for any help you can give, i wont be able to reply back as i am giving up posting for lent, but I'll throw a few thanks yous around :)

BTW my laptop has an intel chipset and runs XP and linux, my PC has a Raink Turbo wireless card and is running XP

Ralink cards are support through native RT2x00 drivers and work with kismet and airodump for sniffing. Otherwise Netstumbler in Windows will very likely work.

Advertisement