Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you hate about the 360

• 25-02-2009 1:08am

This is being done in the PS3 board, and i thought i'd pretty much steal the thread and put it here, too, to see what is mentioned by you guys.

"Things you hate about the PS3" link:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055496787

Also, I know there are a ton of people out there that seem to be madly in love with the 360 or PS3, and despise the other console (i have no idea what is up with said people) but can we try and keep this unbiased?

Anyway, things i dislike about the 360 would be... there's not a lot i can think of off hand, but I think some of the arcade games/games in general are a sometimes too expensive on LIVE (Most old games average 400 points, and it's set up in such a way that you need to buy more than you need, plus there's no discount if you buy a load of points, etc.). So generally im not a fan of the pricing system in the gaming marketplace. It could be much better organised.

Also not a fan of not being able to change 4:3 aspect videos to 16:9 when using Media Centre.

You?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Paying to play online. That sucks ass.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

* No inbuilt wifi
    * Live Sub
    * Relyability (Although not had any major problems *yet* I'm still afraid it'll break down :pac:)
    * Quite noisey but the newer ones are quiter and doesn't bother me too much
    * No inclusion of plug n charge with the free wireless controller you get, the AA battery pack adds allot of weight to the pad and is hopeless :(
    * Annoying 12 year olds on live
    * Non-Upgradeable hard drive*

*i.e you cant just use any SATA drive like with the ps3, it must be a pricey microsoft one

Theres some I can think of offhand

Nick

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The new Xbox live 'experience' is total **** to use compared to the excellent blades system. I find it annoying to find games on the market place.

Xbox live arcade games are also way over priced usually compared to PSN and Wiiware games. They should also use real money not MS points.

Paying to play online.

MS's automated system trying to renew my xbox live gold account through a credit card on my account that I didn't use to buy the subscription with and never gave my consent to do it. Thank god it's an out of date 3v card. I can only imagine how many people MS have swindled with this.

All the trouble I have trying to get a non-laggy game because my crappy wireless set up uses 2 routers that don't get along.

Stupidly expensive hard disks and wireless adapters that use technology that should cost 5-10 euro. Absolute thuggery.

My 360 is into it's second year and still hasn't red ringed. I'm sure it will go tits up the day after the warrantee is valid. Still scares me when I turn it on after frogetting to plug in the AV cable.

The actual size of the hard disk is a few Gb's short of the advertised size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

wired controllers . No built in wifi . The noise of it and of course rrod . Although the last one has sort of faded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

no wifi
    Paying to play online
    No charger for controller

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

seanybiker wrote: »
    no wifi
    Paying to play online
    This post pretty much sums it up, but then again paying 30 euro a year aint so bad for a service that is pretty damm solid.

O and the lack of mgs4, heard RAKES of bad things but id still like to know how the story pans out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,793 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Patricide wrote: »
    O and the lack of mgs4, heard RAKES of bad things but id still like to know how the story pans out.

Pretend the game never happened. The story is the worst thing about it and the game isn't up to much snuff anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretend the game never happened. The story is the worst thing about it and the game isn't up to much snuff anyway.
    Yup have heard that a million times but you know cuiosity, it may kill the cat but its gotta be played!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

The noise and the ever present dread of the RROD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

* 1200 point games are becoming more common
    * No discount for buying more points (€6 for 500, €12 for 1000, €24 for 2000)
    * No way to buy 800 points
    * Main friend list horrible to navigate (thank god for the mini-blade friend list)
    * Paying for themes/gamer pics? No thanks.
    * No way to delete credit card details (without having to jump through hoops on the bloody PHONE).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭TheWitch06

- No Wi-Fi
    - Overly priced content on the Marketplace
    - No card reader :/
    - Paying for Xbox Live

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

no web browser

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Many niggles but one thing I hate.

Idiots on Live that feel they need to send you a rude annoying message if

a: You kick their ass.
    b: They kick your ass.

If I beat you in a game don't take it personally, likewise if you win, I don't really care. It was probably a fun game for both of us. I don't need messages about my mother or being a loser or being pwned or anything similar.

If I could block one particular country I would. They seem to have a chip on their shoulder.

Niggles

The media centre. MS could wipe out the competition with their media centre. But no, they have daft restrictions on it like it needing to stream from XP Media Centre or something similar. So I use the old Xbox for my media centre. It downloads the covers for my movies, descriptions from IMDB and can stream video from nearly any server on the network. And it can play every standard def format know to man (well to me anyway). Doesn't play HD but that's not a big worry in my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

- Noise. The hoover is quieter...
    - Too many "optional" extras, like WiFi adapter or rechargeable battery packs.
    - Pathetic hard drive sizes up to recently (20GB is next to useless now that games can be installed to the HDD).
    - Proprietary hard drive. What a load of bulls**t - have a ton of 2.5" large capacity HDDs that I could use instead but nope, not possible...
    - Cost of some Live Arcade games.
    - Points systems is crap, designed to make pricing less transparent...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭20goto10

- Noisy
    - RROD
    - No originality (so much so I've stopped playing it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

-Noise,
    -MS points,
    -reliability

J-blk wrote: »
    - Proprietary hard drive. What a load of bulls**t - have a ton of 2.5" large capacity HDDs that I could use instead but nope, not possible...
    If you have any WD BEVS series I can help you out ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

no ntfs support for external hard drives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

-Xbox Live sub
    -Hard drive pricing
    -Pricing system for points
    -Cost of wi-fi adapter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The new Xbox live 'experience' is total **** to use compared to the excellent blades system. I find it annoying to find games on the market place.

Xbox live arcade games are also way over priced usually compared to PSN and Wiiware games. They should also use real money not MS points.

Paying to play online.

MS's automated system trying to renew my xbox live gold account through a credit card on my account that I didn't use to buy the subscription with and never gave my consent to do it. Thank god it's an out of date 3v card. I can only imagine how many people MS have swindled with this.

All the trouble I have trying to get a non-laggy game because my crappy wireless set up uses 2 routers that don't get along.

Stupidly expensive hard disks and wireless adapters that use technology that should cost 5-10 euro. Absolute thuggery.

My 360 is into it's second year and still hasn't red ringed. I'm sure it will go tits up the day after the warrantee is valid. Still scares me when I turn it on after frogetting to plug in the AV cable.

The actual size of the hard disk is a few Gb's short of the advertised size.

I agree with all your points especially about the xbox live "experience" which is bollox tbh. More advertising and it makes it harder to naviagte. Yeah that's some "experience" alright.

Surely the one I have highlighted in bold is not the 360s fault though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

I like the Xbox buy its very dated now. Improvements need to be made or a new Xbox should be released.

The experience thing sucks ass, I used to always download videos and demos from the market place, now I don’t I find the lay out frustrating and annoying.

The noise is desperate, it should be more quieter

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

matrim wrote: »
    no ntfs support for external hard drives
    ^^ this,

+ no native support for mkvs. I'm tired of having to convert them for hours just to watch hd stuff. Not wholly MS fault..I blame the people who started using mkv containers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

seanybiker wrote: »
    no wifi
    Paying to play online

Not to sound like a super-fanboy, but reasons like this is why the xbox is so cheap! I picked up my 20gig ages ago for €150 when the PS3 was still retailing for €399~. So for me, those were 3 of the best points. Maybe it helps tho that i have a wired network, and dont play online :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭beardo81

* No WiFi
    * Plastic 'cheap' casing
    * Settings for HDTV- pain in the ass!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

No recognition of tags ID3v1 or v2 of mp3s on a plugged in external hard drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

beardo81 wrote: »
    * Settings for HDTV- pain in the ass!!

you're kidding, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Noise is my only real concern. Don't care about hard drive as I only use it for saves games and the odd bit of downloaded content. Also imperfect support for divx/xvid - have encountered a few files that are not supported. Every machine has niggles but the noise really annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I like the Xbox buy its very dated now. Improvements need to be made or a new Xbox should be released.

What exactly are you basing this on? In comparison to a €2k gaming pc rig or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

kaimera wrote: »
    no native support for mkvs. I'm tired of having to convert them for hours just to watch hd stuff. Not wholly MS fault..I blame the people who started using mkv containers.

MKV files are awesome though. They support chapters and menus, so files are like the disc versions of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

Noise is my only real concern. Don't care about hard drive as I only use it for saves games and the odd bit of downloaded content. Also imperfect support for divx/xvid - have encountered a few files that are not supported. Every machine has niggles but the noise really annoys me.

If you install to the hard drive then its less noisy. But then you'll start to care about the hard drive cos it's too small.

It's all part of microsoft's evil plan: Make noisy console with tiny hard drive -> then release bigger hard drive and option to install games to reduce noise -> make vast amounts of money selling overpriced hard drives :D:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Macker14717

people who breath into the mike heavily that wrecks my head

Advertisement