Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Things you hate about the 360

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Just three things:
    - noisy
    - noisy
    - noisy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I didn't even realize you could do that - that would certainly help immensely as the noise comes from the optical drive anyway, not really the box itself. Trying to play Halo 3 the last night I almost ripped out my hair, between the jet engine sound of the drive, and the fact that audio on my TV is pretty poor with music and ambiance being really loud, and voices being incredibly soft....

Anyway, how do I install to the hard drive? I'm sure it's easily worked out but it'd be handy to know so I know straight away when I go home. Space still wouldn't be a big concern as I only play games the very odd time, and never more then 1 or 2 at a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

On the My XBox screen, highlight the game and press Y for Game Info. There is an option on the info screen to install to Hard Drive. Makes a huge difference to the noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

From reports from both MS and the dev, Halo 3 does not like to be installed. It runs better off the DVD.

Haven't tested this out myself.

Never understood the noise issue people have with the 360 tbh, probably all the years of having high end PCs, I just don't notice the noise of cooling fans and DVD drives.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

people who breath into the mike heavily that wrecks my head

In fairness though, this could happen on any platform :pac::pac::pac:

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The actual size of the hard disk is a few Gb's short of the advertised size.
    That's with all hard drives. Once you format them the file system takes up space. So the actual size is accurate, the useable size is always less.
    What bothers me is the noise, don't mind it for games, but bit too loud when I use it as a Media Centre extender,
    and the pay for live idea. Also NTFS support would be nice too! Also it could do with a few more movie formats supported. Even an attempt to download one would be appreciated! (I'm talking about outside Media Centre. The Media Centre gripes I have are standard across all Extenders, so can't single out the 360 on that one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭hosi

Never understood the noise issue people have with the 360 tbh, probably all the years of having high end PCs, I just don't notice the noise of cooling fans and DVD drives.
    Then you should check PS3 out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

The high volume of d**k heads on live (although some times its a good laugh winding them up)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I'm the same, and again its prob because I'm a pc gamer too :)

Nick

hosi wrote: »
    Then you should check PS3 out ;)

Have one a 60gb, rarely use it. Only to play to old Ace Combat games again. I always play games with a head set anyway as people in my house keep trying to talk to me unless I wear them.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Having owned pretty much all consoles since the Philips Videopac, the 360
    is probably the one I'm most happy with. (Conversely the PS3 is the one I
    like the least and have also used the least).

No major gripes from me - yes the RROD was a pain but I can't fault the
    2 weeks door-to-door turnaround on the repair.

Complaints re: fan noise, try turning up the surround sound.

If my 360 broke in the morn I'd buy another before lunch.
    If my PS3 broke, I'd question how often do I watch blu-rays..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

tweenie americian kids who give you a running commentry of what they're doing whilst you are on LIVE.
    not a million miles away from this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOx02PbiVSo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Much prefer the old interface, mainly due to my hatred of the avatars. It's the smug, self-satisfied expression they all have. Even hate my own one - particularly that 'joy of smelling my own farts' motion they do when you log on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Went through 6 x-box's. 5 under warrenty. All died with the r.r.o.d.. Longest went for about 9 months with three fans pointed at it. If I got a free one it wouldn't be taken out of the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Mine sits beside my pc so wifi or media playback is of no concern to me.

I'd guess noise, and reliability. Still waiting since the 3rd to get my single red light xbox collected by microsoft. Other than that, It's great.

I don't mind paying for the live service at all. Can get 13 months for 30 euros and the services is always good I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The noise of the f**king thing! The MS points thing is a robbery. Also, I'm convinced that it is scratching my EA games. My Fifa 09 game's starting to go dodge and my Madden game already bit the dust. I'm also pretty certain in the next 2 or 3 months, it's going to bust. Probably just in time for the summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Getting banned for fixing your own 360. That's what I hated. Due to most of the things people have posted hating. I decided to make my 360 run quieter with silent (more or less) fans, and flashed the DVD rom to only read at 5x speed. Then get banned for having a modded console. So I ended up Ixtreming it and buying a second and third for online.
    I've 2 360's in my living room, one moded I use for streaming Tversity so I can watch HD MKV files and everyother vid format, the other for gaming.
    And in my home office another 360 so I can play when the soaps are on.

What I hate is you can't have your profile logged onto two different 360's without retrieving from Live. Once you do that the other 360's profile no longer works on live. So you have to repeat the process again. Which takes hours even with 20meg BB.
    I don't like the way once you use a credit card once to buy live membership they auto take it out again when memb is due. Only way to cancel it is to ring MS and stay on hold for about an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

Mine's broken twice in the past year. Very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Idiots on Live that feel they need to send you a rude annoying message if
    a: You kick their ass.
    b: They kick your ass.

I quite like receiving messages from disgruntled yanks after I adminisiter a beating - makes me feel like a big man.

Seriously though 95Eur for a wifi adaptor in Game when an actual console is 165Eur beggars belief.

Despite the fact I hate wires and have a wireless router in a different room, I have an ethernet cable trailed across the hall as just cannot justify this absolutely cynical price.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The fact that it wont boot until I my HDTV is turned over to look at it booting that stupid X logo. NGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. Its like the ultimate attention whore. Dunno if this happens with other people.

DeV.

• Advertisement

DeVore wrote: »
    The fact that it wont boot until I my HDTV is turned over to look at it booting that stupid X logo. NGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH. Its like the ultimate attention whore. Dunno if this happens with other people.

DeV.

This only started happening me recently, I told my friend and he didn't believe me till he saw it for himself. His does not do this.

Thought it a bit odd myself.

DeV.

Can't say I've noticed this, might be TY or connection type related. I've used both VGA and component on a couple of different Sammys and LGs and I always power on the 360 via it's own remote before I power on the TV or switch the TV to that particular AV input.

I do this as I too hate watching the 'loading' screen on anything.

Are you using a Sony TV or HDMI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

DeV.
    Yep I have that problem too.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

HDMI to a Sammie 40 inch.

DeV.

DeV.

Same here, HDMI Sam. It never happened with my Pro but it does with the Elite.

DeV.

I wonder if it's the HDMI ? It'll be interesting to see if it's the connection type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

Thing i hate about xbox:
    RRod
    No wifi
    Pay for xbox live
    No killzone,lbp,mgs
    Xbox harddrive
    noise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

The marketplace is horrible. Games are way too overpriced. MS are exploiting us with downloadable content too. Valve were planning on releasing a lot of new updates for free but MS weren't having any of that so the only solution at the moment is a huge package that costs money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I wonder if it's the HDMI ? It'll be interesting to see if it's the connection type.

Nothing to do with the 360 thats HDMI for ya. My dvd player does the same and my 360 did until I went VGA instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's the HDCP (copy prevention) handshake that prevents it booting up, the HDCP handshake is only on HDMI.
    Component and VGA are HDCP free

Advertisement