Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of fluorescent lighting?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

i have been having a look on ebay lately at fluorescent lighting, heat lamps, heat mats ect...and was just wondering would it be worth ordering them from there compared to buying from a petshop in dublin?any one have any idea what the going price for a 2-3 foot 10.0 uvb fluorescent lamp is?on ebay they €10-€20 with about 5er delivery i think?or would i be better off just heading into reptile haven!cant remember the prices in there!any help appreciated!
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The Orchard in Celbridge have uvb 8% bulbs for 17 euros--2 foot one.I think they had heat mats for around the 20 euro mark aswell.

As for heat lamps--theyre just a rip off--use an ordinary 40 or 60 watt spot lamp bulb in a ceramic bulb holder which will cost you about 2-3 euros in a good electrical wholesaler.

It amazes me the way some companies charge for supposed "reptile bulbs" which I remembering reading somewhere were just ordinary bulbs reboxed :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

cheers for that!there would no point really going the ebay way, works out pretty much the same!most id be saving is a euro or 2.new to all this fluorescent lighting!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Sweenox

As far as I know the heat lamps are uva which the reptiles need

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Nope, "Heat Bulbs" are just standard bulbs. They don't produce UVa or UVb. (Well, they do a bit, but then all bulbs do to a degree)

Also, when using Flouro's, stick to a well known brand, as others, the output can vary wildly, as can the life span.

They will need replacing every 6 months or so, as the output diminishes greatly, even if they still light up.

Can I ask what its for? Because some reptiles won't need UVa/UVb or heat mats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Busta Hyman

i kno beardies need a 10.0 uv bulb and as for heat i have 2 mini halogen spots (50w e/a) in my tank for my beardies and i get 2 nice basking areas off them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

thanks for all your help!yeah i just need a 10% uvb flouresecent tube!its for a bearded dragon!already have the heat lamp and other stuff!jus got a bit confused with with the flourescet lighting :o

Advertisement