Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flash + wireless package

• 25-02-2009 2:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Hey, i just found this while i was looking at getting the wireless v2's... Any idea on how those flash's will work? im definitly getting the v2s, i have first hand experience with them and although the pocket wizards are the nuts, im entry level at best. Obviously they arent the best flashes on the market by a long shot. But as far as something to play about with for 140 euro goes.. thats not a bad deal is it? Im kind of excited at the prospect of getting it :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Cmon lads! Someone must know something about something in that package?

What about this? Would that work with my nikkor 18-55mm af that came with my camera? Or would i need to get something like a 50mm to pop it onto?

Any advice would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I've never used this product. It seems like a lot of gear for a very low price. That usually makes feel very cagy. On the other hand, if they don't work as you expect, you won't loose very much. :rolleyes:

Just one thing though. With this setup you will be confined to full manual flash, ie you have to set the power output yourself, TTL not included. This is ok if you are comfortable with the apparent light size vs distance (Inverse Square Law). If not the learning curve will be steep. But that's not a bad thing either.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I have Cactus and it is excellent. I cannot comment those no-name flash units.

good to hear! Have you modded them? can x5 the range with the antenna mod, which also sorts out the odd misfire problem. Not to mention the battery mod for the recievers, thats a simple job - definitly doing that when i get em.

Im going shopping tomorrow for my hardware needs so i can have that mod ready the second it comes in the door!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with these, looks like a good value way to dip your toe in the water of multiple flash photography.

Do come back to update us please!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

I have the cactus and have no misfires, work a treat for the money...I use them with canon 550ex. Try and pick up some old manual flash heads sunpack or vivitar and get the cactus and shoot in manual mode, should be able to get this for than 100euro

well for 140 quid you get

x2 v2s recievers
    x1 v2 transmitter
    x2 Thyristor Twin Flashes
    x2 Flash Diffuser
    x1 Foldable Around-the-lens Diffuser
    x1 U-shaped Flash Bracket w/ 90 degree flash rotate

I was really only looking for the wireless stuff and i was going to get a different flash elsewhere. You'd be expecting to pay 100 euro for an anyway useable flash, so to pay 80 euro on 2 flashes and get all that other stuff free is something i couldnt pass up even if they are totally crap. I collect guitars(i play them too) and regardless of how crap they are, they have their own sound. I can only assume that those cheapo flashes will be the same.

Advertisement