Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How safe is buyandsell.ie

Options
  • 25-02-2009 2:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭

Hi all,

I found a great deal on a Wii with Wii Fit & Mario Kart, 2 wheels and 4 controls for 300 in the Buy & Sell. It's only been used a few times, the ad says.

The seller asked me to come and collect it at their house but I requested it be in a public place (Dundrum town centre) which they had no problem with. So they were obviously willing to give me their address. She asked for cash. The seller is an Irish girl and said she can't meet before 1 on Wednesday as she is in school, so we arranged to meet afterwards.

I asked whether there is anything wrong with the Wii and she said no.

It all seems legit, and I trust the seller. But how safe is buyandsell?

If I get home and there's anything wrong with it where do I stand?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Dude go to her house - and ask for a demo!!
    If your feeling unsafe bring someone with you etc
    If you meet in city and it doesn't work 'Er it worked fine when I sent it' line might be used

I've done plenty of deals with B&S and was always grand (mostly phones)

Yeah I got a few dodgy emails, but you can see the scams a mile away

if they are willing to give you their address it is usually a good sign

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

why would you want to meet in public? You can't test if the wii is working ok if you're in dundrum town centre!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've bought one thing off Buy & Sell (the game Worms), and that's about it. Bought it at the sellers house, so that I could see it working.

So buy it from the sellers house. Ask them in advance for them to have it plugged in, so that you can see it working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It all seems legit, and I trust the seller. But how safe is buyandsell?

If I get home and there's anything wrong with it where do I stand?

It's a private sale, so you stand on your own. How safe Buy & Sell is, is somewhat irrelevant. If you let them know of a scam, they can remove the ad, but they won't get involved in any problems. They also offer you no protection.

To be safe, you should get a demo of the Wii and accessories, to see that they work. Going to her house would be the best bet, as you'll then know where she lives if you do have to go back, but as I said, in a private sale she'll be under no obligation to give your money back if it doesn't work a day later.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

broken and stolen LOL :pac:

private sale from someone who is under 18 , you aren't going to get guarantees
    would be sold as seen , and no buy and sell won't get involved if the sale isn't to your liking

cross posting makes people cross :mad:
    and you've turned down the opportunity to see it working :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 IrishBusiness

The buy and sell is just a place where someone can advertise items for sale - they would not be responsible if the deal went sour, so you need to do all the checking on the seller yourself. and if it was me, id def be looking to try the console and make sure it was all working! ;)

Advertisement