Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get a refund?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 2:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi All

I booked online threw hotels.com to stay at the Ascot Hotel in London for two nights on the 6th and 7th of February of this year. I arrived at the hotel at 10pm on the 6th to find the heating wasnt working in our room and draft was coming in threw the windows. My wife is ill at the moment so it simply wasnt an option to stay in this room for the weekend. I immediately went to reception and asked to be moved to a different room the receptionist refused my request claiming that all rooms were fully booked for the evening but he verbally agreed with me to cancel our booking for Saturday 7th of February. Soon later a hotel employee arrived at our room and claimed the heat wasnt turned on he said he then turned it on (it never came on). The next morning I arrived in the reception area with my bags I told the recpetionist (different from person night before) that i was checking out and I wanted my refund for 7th. He refused to issuse refund claiming that I had to cancel 24 hours in advance despite my verbal agreement with previous receptionist who later arrived on the scene denying our agreement. I then phoned hotels.com and after about an hour our boucing the reponsabilty of refund between hotels.com and Ascot Hotel. I was told by hotels.com that they would put my case to there refunds deparment who will then decide if I get a refund or not and call me within a few days. But to this day I have never recieved that call from them despite me even emailing them altought Im still awaiting a reply. It ended up staying at an alternative hotel on the Saturday but the whole experience really ruined what was otherwise a good weekend.

Any advice?!

Thanks for reading

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Did you book with your credit card? If so contact your card provider and see if they can do a chargeback for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Yes i booked by credit card...Would it be possible to do a chargeback at this late stage?

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

AFAIK you have 30 days to notify them, this may vary depending on who your CC company is.There may also be a limit to the amount they can charge back. If I were you I'd call them ASAP, at least you'll know where you stand. They may also be able to advise you of alternative methods to obtain a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Im still having problems I phoned my CC company and to activate chargeback they need written evidence that a refund was agreed but I only verbally agreed with the receptionist. Is there anything else I can do?!

Cheers for the help!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I got a chargeback from Hotels.com because they double charged me. The lady from AIB said she get in touch with Hotels.com and if they didn't dispute it they would do the chargeback.
    They didn't and I had the money within 3 weeks.
    You are doing the chargeback because you didn't receive the service you bought.

It is a bit odd because you pay Hotels.com, but you would have expected the refund from the hotel who haven't received payment yet from hotels.com!

• Advertisement
Advertisement