Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ Ski Work

Options
  • 25-02-2009 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Just wondering does anyone have info on ski work in NZ.
    i.e. when does the season start ?
    What type of jobs are available for backpackers ?
    What is the pay like ?
    How does one apply for this work ?
    :confused:Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The season starts around about June'ish depending on the weather and can go on as late as October. I don't know anything about the jobs situation down there though, but I do know of people that do so I'll see if I can send them this way....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

Get onto nzski.com quick as you can. I reckon you might be leaving it late for getting work on the mountains but could be lucky.
    My advice would be to get your early bird season pass (on sale now) and make your way down before the season starts, ie before the rush, and bag yourself a job in town.
    If you are lucky enough to get mountain work you'll get a refund on the ski pass.

This is only for Queenstown (Coronet and Remarkables) and Mt. Hutt. I don't know about the other resorts.

I couldn't recommend Queenstown highly enough. I'm thinking of going back again.

As for the wages, they're crap, but nobody goes there to save. You can get by, and provided you're not a fiend for liquor you should be able to save a little bit. PM me if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

I spent two seasons working as a liftie in Thredbo, Australia. They are recruiting at the moment: http://www.thredbo.com.au/about-thredbo/snow-jobs/

Pay was crap but I loved every minute of it, met great people and had a fantastic time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,022 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Damn I was hoping to do skiing in New Zealand but I'll only be there around April/May. Do none of the resorts in Queenstown open till june?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

April/ May would be equivalent of October/ November'ish in Europe so not going to be any skiing in NZ at that time unfortunately. There would be some skiing around the October/ November time in Europe, but it is at much higher altitudes than they have in NZ and on glaciers as well which they don't have any skiing on the much lower altitude ones in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

Thanks for the info.

Advertisement