Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanad Éireann: how much does this pointless entity cost?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 3:28am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I am searching in vain for precisely how much this utterly - and I do mean completely - pointless institution costs. (letter in this morning's Irish Times calling for its abolition)

The costs appear to be hidden under the title 'Oireachtas', when the vast majority of people make a clear distinction between the value of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann. Does anybody know where a breakdown of the salaries and expenses of all members of the Seanad can be found, and the entire cost of that institution?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

I know 60 Senators are paid 70,000 per annum. That is 4.2 million in wages before expenses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Thanks, Pride. But when some Oireachtas members were claiming €80,000 plus in expenses, I am really trying to access the cost of these people. How much is that Harris guy costing us, for instance. It defies belief.

I'm usually very good at getting this sort of information online but I'm stumped here.

I think I'll just set up a separate thread on why it should be abolished so that if anybody is able to defend it they can post there. (I'm getting more passionate about it by the minute!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

*bump*

would be very interesting to know..
    could you get it using FOI?
    who would you have to ask?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Listening to these guys defending the Seanad on The Late Late Show (20 March 2009) and it seems they are on over €70,000 in salary. With their expenses they are on over €115,000 each. Un****ingbelievable.

This is wrong, wrong, and wrong. People are struggling here, many, many Irish people are going through the toughest period of their lives. And these people are living off us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Why do they always have to be so bloated?

Why do you have to have 60 senators on 115k, instead of 30 on 75k?

Typically Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

I know 60 Senators are paid 70,000 per annum. That is 4.2 million in wages before expenses.
    Add in secretaries, offices, security guards, overheads, pensions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

994 wrote: »
    Add in secretaries, offices, security guards, overheads, pensions

Don't forget their full-time advisers: http://www.simonharris.ie/

Advertisement