Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seanad Éireann: why it *must* be abolished

Options
  • 25-02-2009 4:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

Can anybody in 2009 defend the existence of the Seanad? (Mod: Can you make this, or some discussion on the value of the Seanad, a “sticky?)

It galls me that grade A ranters can go on national television to defend a political leader and be awarded with a lucrative post in the Seanad as a consequence. I am repelled by it, and I use that word advisedly. That stunt is really what has inspired me to object to the existence of Seanad Éireann, and research further into its purpose in Irish society in 2009.

The Seanad has no value - and I do mean none - for our society. It is a hangover from the bicameral legislative tradition of the British: our very own House of Lords. It was designed to shore up the old Anglo-Irish elite by giving them special seats, such as those held by Trinity College Dublin. It then tried to buy off an emerging elite, namely Irish Castle Catholics whose families had colluded sufficiently with the Brits that they could afford to go to university: and thus we have the elitism of the other university seats. Its fundamental purpose was, in other words, to give intellectual support for the English tradition in the Irish state. Elitism is at the very heart of the existence of Seanad Éireann. That fact is inescapable.

I find it objectionable that I am entitled to vote in Seanad elections by virtue of my university degree but my parents, who raised a huge family through very tough times, have no such right. Lest you think I am calling for mere reform: I am not.

Despite the above origin the Seanad did, however, develop one strong point: through the establishment of the panel system (e.g. agricultural, cultural, administrative, and industrial panels) it allowed expert senators to provide much needed expert advice on these important areas of society.

However - and this is the point its defenders wish to ignore – since the committee system of the Dáil was developed in the 1970s we now have far more expert panels on a far wider range of aspects of society than the Seanad every had (Indeed, there is widespread agreement that these Dáil committees, and their massive expense accounts, need to be radically reduced.). This development also undermines numerous other (quite insulting, to be honest) defences of the Seanad such as the supposed value of its powers to initiate and hold up legislation; by the time the committees have gone through stuff there is no such need for those powers.

The sole purpose - and I do mean the only real purpose - of Seanad Éireann is to give jobs to the boys. That really is the only purpose. It is a waiting house for people with ambitions to enter the only real parliament of the state, the Dáil. The people who are appointed to it are usually if not invariably failed politicians; people who were either thrown out of the Dáil, or failed to get elected to it, at the previous election

Can anybody, therefore, defend this unjustifiably expensive, elitist, inefficient, outdated, and anachronistic institution in Ireland in 2009? Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Martyr

The sole purpose - and I do mean the only real purpose - of Seanad Éireann is to give jobs to the boys. That really is the only purpose.

if they were true patriots.. :rolleyes: surely they'd do the job for nothing?
    i agree, its a waste of money which serves no purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Rebelheart wrote: »
    (Mod: Can you make this, or some discussion on the value of the Seanad, a “sticky?)
    No need for a sticky - if it gets discussion it'll stay obvious anyway (if you've got strong views on this, send me a PM rather than throwing your own thread off-kilter).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

I'd agree on disbanding the Seanad as it would allow the good people in it to run as a TD, I think Shane Ross and David Norris would be great additions to the lower house. Instead it's turned into the runner up prize if you don't get elected(cough Donie Cassidy cough). The limits on people that can vote in Seanad elections is offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

It ain't democratic, i along with the vast majority of the population have no say who sits in it.
    Political appointments should be abolished as a top priorty, that idiot Eoghan Harris comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭eoinbn

gurramok wrote: »
    It ain't democratic, i along with the vast majority of the population have no say who sits in it.
    Political appointments should be abolished as a top priorty, that idiot Eoghan Harris comes to mind.

The Harris appointment really showed how corrupt this country is. He himself admitted that he is a rubbish senator yet he still gets his €70k+ because he backed the winning horse in the last GE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

The Panel should be maintained and extended. I would like to see the Institute of Technology with their own set of seats in the Seanad. I dont feel that there should be any tokenistic seats for "minorities". Taoiseach's nominees should be abolished. I cite a candidate who was rejected by her Dail Constituency, and her Senate Constituency...but was put in there at the say so of Bertie. http://www.electionsireland.org/candidate.cfm?id=300

I like what David Norris, Shane Ross, John Dardis, Fergal Quinn, Ronan Mullen etc have done for the Senate. However, my biggest problem with the Seanad is that its supposed to be a bastion of debate and appeal, it has been turned into a half way house for failed Dail Candidates. They continue their "local work", but to the dertiment of what the Senate is supposed to be

Advertisement