Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skilled Migrant Visa

Options
  • 25-02-2009 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a mate planning on comiing over. He is a Civil Engineer. Things are tough in construction in Brizzy but my on the ground knowledge reckons he has a better chance than someone involved in commercial or residential building.

I am advising him to give him self an edge, by applying for a SMV, as a Civil Engineer is one of the only construction professions still on the Occupations in demand, list he should certainly try......

What are other peoples opinions, do they agree that this will greatly or moderately increase his employability.

Sure cant hurt, I know an agent that did my sponsorship stuff that will do it for 2k AUD. Must check if that includes the actual fees......

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

that will not include fees, since it is about 2.2k
    if he is happy to wait up to 9-12months, I would say defo go for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

He has a WHV and can be on that in the interim.

The last section of the MODL states that if your occupation is on the MODL, your application will receive "priority procesing ".

I have heard of sub 6 months for MODL apps.

Anyone any actual experince on this one and how long it took ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

He has a WHV and can be on that in the interim.

The last section of the MODL states that if your occupation is on the MODL, your application will receive "priority procesing ".

I have heard of sub 6 months for MODL apps.

Anyone any actual experince on this one and how long it took ?

1 yr on my MODL others where quicker though , this does not include skills assessment

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭k974

i'm a civil engineer i'm working in brisbane for the last few years. i did the 175 myself even tho i was sponsored on a 457 which they would have done the employer sponsored visa for me after the 2 yrs but i didnt want to way; i included a job offer in mine. it took 1 week short of 6months to the day. i'm now a citizen 12months later as i got in on the new 4yr rule taht applies for residencys granted after july 2007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

k974 wrote: »
    i'm a civil engineer i'm working in brisbane for the last few years. i did the 175 myself even tho i was sponsored on a 457 which they would have done the employer sponsored visa for me after the 2 yrs but i didnt want to way; i included a job offer in mine. it took 1 week short of 6months to the day. i'm now a citizen 12months later as i got in on the new 4yr rule taht applies for residencys granted after july 2007

Any insight into current employments opportunities in Birzzy?

It appears to me, to be the only constrcution sector that is still busy, at least by the sights of many civil projects and irfrastructure jobs every where I go, bridges to tunnels, road widenings, to sewerage plants .

• Advertisement
Advertisement