Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party of "No"

Options
  • 25-02-2009 7:41am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Critics have called the 2009 Republicans "The Party of No," suggesting that they will vote "no" to just about anything President Obama or the US Congress majority Democratic Party attempts to propose or legislate.

If the 2009 Republican Party is not the "Party of No," then what are they? Obama is clearly the 2009 leader of the Democrats, who leads the 2009 Republicans?

Obama continues to articulate the Democratic political platform (with changes as they stumble along), but what is the 2009 Republican political platform? Whom articulates it? Other than some obscure reference to a GOP party appointment or website posting, is there a consensus among the majority of Republicans as to whom is their 2009 leader, and what is their 2009 political platform?

Sources:
    http://www.rollcall.com/news/32425-1.html
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/01/the_party_of_no_ideas.html
    http://washingtonindependent.com/27840/the-party-of-no

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I don't think they do. I think they're still trying to figure out which wing of the party is going to be in the ascendancy. They've got a year or so to sort it out, in the meantime, the reps can simply vote their conscience or policy instead of taking a cue from the Party Whip.

Which, now I think of it, is probably a good thing.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Pocono Joe

I think most republicans would agree with Bobby Jindal that they want to work with President Obama, and "We appreciate his message of hope - but sometimes it seems we look for hope in different places."

But if voting NO for the ROTTING PILE OF GARBAGE the democrats call their stimulus package tags us with the childish term "The Party of No," then so be it. I fear that when the stimulus package is finally seen by the public for what it really is… (notice the DOW already sees it for what it is)… The so-called Party of No will be worn as a badge of courage.

As to others to lead the GOP besides Jindal, look at Michael Steele, John Boehner, Eric Cantor, Tim Pawlenty, Jeb Bush, Sarah Palin, Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, and Jerry Curry. And also keep a look out in the distant future (like 2020) for Josh Mandel and George P Bush.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Pocono Joe wrote: »
    As to others to lead the GOP besides Jindal... Jeb Bush... And also keep a look out in the distant future (like 2020) for... George P Bush.
    Dimpled chad Jeb and King George III? "The Horror! The Horror!" :eek: (line from Apocalypse Now).
    I don't think they do.
    Spot on! My observation too. I guess time will tell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Critics have called the 2009 Republicans "The Party of No," suggesting that they will vote "no" to just about anything President Obama or the US Congress majority Democratic Party attempts to propose or legislate.

If the 2009 Republican Party is not the "Party of No," then what are they? Obama is clearly the 2009 leader of the Democrats, who leads the 2009 Republicans?

Obama continues to articulate the Democratic political platform (with changes as they stumble along), but what is the 2009 Republican political platform? Whom articulates it? Other than some obscure reference to a GOP party appointment or website posting, is there a consensus among the majority of Republicans as to whom is their 2009 leader, and what is their 2009 political platform?

Sources:
    http://www.rollcall.com/news/32425-1.html
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/01/the_party_of_no_ideas.html
    http://washingtonindependent.com/27840/the-party-of-no

People will wake up to the fact that the Stimulus plans are nothing more than the old analogy of the boy sticking his finger his finger in the hole in the dam. Water still pours out. The Govt needs to realize that they have to PRODUCE their way out of a recession not spend their way out of it [The Irish Govt can do to learn this lesson too. Since Ireland doesn't produce as much as it used to. Sorry for going OT btw]

For now the Reps are doing the right thing by pubically not going along with the stimulus plans. People will realize that all these bills are only adding to the debt not helping it and the people will eventually turn on the Dems and the Christ like Obama.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    For now the Reps are doing the right thing by pubically not going along with the stimulus plans.
    So without a strong 2009 Republican political platform to proactively lead America in a positive direction out of this mess, and merely attacking the stimulus plans (or other legislation proposed by the Democrats), they are in fact the "Party of No?"

So without a strong 2009 Republican political platform to proactively lead America in a positive direction out of this mess, and merely attacking the stimulus plans (or other legislation proposed by the Democrats), they are in fact the "Party of No?"

Yes. And for the time being that's the right thing to do. Let everyone realize how bad the stimulus bills are and will be [because there will be more] and people will turn on the Dems. Obama or no Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,297 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Rotting Pile of Garbage...Rotting...Pile...of Garbage.

See its that kind of negativity that doesn't help the case. Maybe you and the republicans you adjoin yourself to should try approaching from a more positive angle next time instead of making yourself look like the bad guys, adding nothing constructive suffice to say Pile of Garbage Legislation.

Overheal wrote: »
    Rotting Pile of Garbage...Rotting...Pile...of Garbage.

See its that kind of negativity that doesn't help the case.

Is it a lie?

Is it a lie?
    In the most literal sense, its a Stimulus Plan, not a Pile of Garbage. In the actual sense, a comment like that is completely non-constructive.

• Advertisement

Overheal... I "borrowed" that term from Joe Scarborough of MSLSD (and we know how MSLSD feel about Obama... TINGLES!!!!). That's what he has been calling the Stimulus package almost every morning on the Morning Joe show.

In the most literal sense, its a Stimulus Plan, not a Pile of Garbage. In the actual sense, a comment like that is completely non-constructive.

Over $700 billion that will more than likely do absolutely NOTHING to improve the economy. Calling it a pile of garbage is being generous. A waste of tax payers money is another thing you can call it. A pile of **** if you want to be harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Yes. And for the time being that's the right thing to do. Let everyone realize how bad the stimulus bills are and will be [because there will be more] and people will turn on the Dems. Obama or no Obama.

I think the point is that if the Reps don't suggest their own plan for getting out of the mess, and compare that plan to the Dems one, they will be considered the Party of No. The problem with that is people will stop listening to their complaints, however valid they are, if they believe the reason for the complaints is just to say no.

I would prefer if the Reps came out with their own plan. This would either keep the current plan (relatively) honest, or gain support for the Reps which will force the Dems to actually consult with them, with an eye to actually listening to them. Maybe?

Otacon wrote: »
    I think the point is that if the Reps don't suggest their own plan for getting out of the mess, and compare that plan to the Dems one, they will be considered the Party of No. The problem with that is people will stop listening to their complaints, however valid they are, if they believe the reason for the complaints is just to say no.

True but they are not in a position to really counter anything. Even if they offered anything constructive the Dems would smash through their own objectives or take the credit for anything remotely good for the economy. So I can see why the Reps are content to stand back and see if Obama and the Dems fall flat on their faces with these stimulus plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

True but they are not in a position to really counter anything. Even if they offered anything constructive the Dems would smash through their own objectives or take the credit for anything remotely good for the economy. So I can see why the Reps are content to stand back and see if Obama and the Dems fall flat on their faces with these stimulus plans.

That isn't a strategy that the public will like though, is it? Do nothing and watch the country fall to pieces, then say "We told you so?"

That isn't a strategy that the public will like though, is it? Do nothing and watch the country fall to pieces, then say "We told you so?"

It worked for the Dems.

I would prefer if the Reps came out with their own plan. This would either keep the current plan (relatively) honest, or gain support for the Reps which will force the Dems to actually consult with them, with an eye to actually listening to them. Maybe?

I just saw an interview recently with Michael Steele, where the same points where put to him. He pretty much said the republicans submitted several plans... but they were blatantly rejected by the democrats (who control Congress)

Overheal... I "borrowed" that term from Joe Scarborough of MSLSD (and we know how MSLSD feel about Obama... TINGLES!!!!). That's what he has been calling the Stimulus package almost every morning on the Morning Joe show.
    Though you would have to agree with him to respect the words like your own ;)
    It worked for the Dems.
    Yet not for the republicans when they did nothing to regulate the housing market, blamed it on the Dems and said "We told you so".

More like The Party of We Told You So.
    I just saw an interview recently with Michael Steele, where the same points where put to him. He pretty much said the republicans submitted several plans... but they were blatantly rejected by the democrats (who control Congress)
    Do we have available sources for those several plans, or any record of them being submitted before the House/Senate?

Yet not for the republicans when they did nothing to regulate the housing market, blamed it on the Dems and said "We told you so".

More like The Party of We Told You So.

If people got a house beyond their means and can't afford to make the mortgage payments they should sell up and get an apartment or a house they can afford. That's probably too much common sense to the Dems and the people that they cater too.

Some of the blogs I've read are consistent with your comment, often modifying it to "Party of No(ideas)."

• Advertisement

Do we have available sources for those several plans, or any record of them being submitted before the House/Senate?

Here are a couple of sources. I trust you will read them since you requested them (we know some people don't appear to read sources when requested).

http://republicanleader.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=109659
    http://www.startribune.com/politics/national/congress/39169397.html?elr=KArks+c4iURc4iUiacyKUnciatkEP7DhUr
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jan/30/gop-takes-its-own-message-to-districts/

Only when that source was opinionated drivel and falsehoods leveled at Britain ;)

Im curious: what are the odds that icons like Rush Limbaugh will try to break away from the Republican party and try and form some kind of new Conservative Party from the ashes?

Im curious: what are the odds that icons like Rush Limbaugh will try to break away from the Republican party and try and form some kind of new Conservative Party from the ashes?
    Rush Limbaugh leave the "Party of No?" If you asked him, he would say "No!";)

Advertisement