Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyDit Emails deleted

Options
  • 25-02-2009 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi

All my emails from mydit account were deleted. Saved, sent and inbox all gone

anybody else got this problem?

going to email them now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

yep, me too. been like that since last night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Mine three.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

They will be back I presume. Same thing happened last semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Ziggurat

They're back for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

mine not there either.

Happy first birthday mydit ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yep mine gone too, thankfully I've learnt not to trust most things associated with dit so have all important emails with my gmail account.

Google, a company that you can trust. ;)

Its back up and running for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

shoutman wrote: »
    Yep mine gone too, thankfully I've learnt not to trust most things associated with dit so have all important emails with my gmail account.

Google, a company that you can trust. ;)

google-down.gif

they have a "solution" up on the mydit.ie website now

logging in through imap.dit.ie also gives me no emails.

my phone connects no problem and downloads new mails so they are definitely still there anyways.
    shoutman wrote: »

Google, a company that you can trust.

google mail was down for 4 hours yesterday and it hurt them bad.

also

google = huge massive money to burn company can afford proper server solutions
    dit = small in comparrison where pretty much everything has to be done on a shoe string budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

Don't worry guys, it's just a routine thing that happens. They delete all your emails once every two years to make space for new emails. Hope you didn't have any important emails in there. They're gone forever.

• Advertisement

Lads I was clearly taking the piss when I said that about google FFS. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yeah noticed this last nite, the emails are back up on the mydit.ie login now, well for me anyways, and Gmail anyday over the mydit crappy system :pac:. I'd even go as far as saying the hotmail interface is much better

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mcerc

DIT cowboy operation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Truly.

I hate the damn thing. I keep having to ring up every few weeks to get them to turn on my account. It keeps closing itself.

But kudos to the guys at the end of the phone in IT. They're pretty nice, and get right on the problem!

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Truly.

I hate the damn thing. I keep having to ring up every few weeks to get them to turn on my account. It keeps closing itself.

But kudos to the guys at the end of the phone in IT. They're pretty nice, and get right on the problem!

Glad I'm not the only one! Account blocked due to inactivity messages you get? What bloody sense is that and what idiot configured the new email system, its beyond me...

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

That's DIT for you - the Sungard e-mail system is brutal.
    Seriously:
    Click to read on an e-mail, opens another pop-up window.
    Want to reply to an e-mail, sure, except it opens in yet another pop-up window.

Why can't it just run within the one window?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Kensington wrote: »
    That's DIT for you - the Sungard e-mail system is brutal.
    Seriously:
    Click to read on an e-mail, opens another pop-up window.
    Want to reply to an e-mail, sure, except it opens in yet another pop-up window.

Why can't it just run within the one window?!

Strongly Agree oh and while i'm here have to say that i hate webcourses too:o

/rant

my faith in webcourses was shot when i saw the message:

"please log out to ensure your session doesn't stay valid and end up with multiple sessions on the server"

ehh ever hear of session timeout? or if there's duplicate sessions for one account, delete the oldest of the pair?

also i have to check my mail in sungard as if i try on my phone or apple mail/thunderbird or any other mail client i get an authenication error, but if i log into sungard, my phone/thunderbird etc fetch mail perfectly for ~24 hours after the log in. i seem to be the only person that this effects.

ohh well just 3 more months of it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

lucky i have two years left , :( you'd think with a whole building dedicated to computers could come up with a better website , the thing that gets me is those stupid pop-ups and the fact it only lets me log in sometimes :rolleyes:

my faith in webcourses was shot when i saw the message:

"please log out to ensure your session doesn't stay valid and end up with multiple sessions on the server"

ehh ever hear of session timeout? or if there's duplicate sessions for one account, delete the oldest of the pair?

also i have to check my mail in sungard as if i try on my phone or apple mail/thunderbird or any other mail client i get an authenication error, but if i log into sungard, my phone/thunderbird etc fetch mail perfectly for ~24 hours after the log in. i seem to be the only person that this effects.

Or ever login to webcourses for the first time on a machine and get a session error :rolleyes::rolleyes::pac:

Nick

• Advertisement

I miss squirrel mail. :(

FreeOSCAR wrote: »

I nearly do too in a way! As the mail server worked much better in the likes of gmail than this one does! Never needed to use the squirrelmail thing!

Nick

Yeh like it was great waking up in the morning to check your emails to see that lovely little squirrel looking at you. What do we have now? Some stupid notification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    So do I. It may have been a little slow but it got the job done. Talk about complicating something simple!

Also, what was the point of implementing webcourses? I don't know any lecturers who use it. And its still as shaky as the old webct system that was in place before it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I absolutely can't stand Webcurses. Horrible unintuitive layout and very SLOW.
    Why the hell isn't dit using an open source alternative like Moodle most other
    colleges use? Are blackboard pitching this crap intensively?

Down with webcourses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Moodle is a disaster.

I actually hate the bloody thing. I'd say it's fairly similar to Webcourses in feel. Disadvantage of webcourses is the fact that everything needs its own pop-up or java applet. Moodles downfall is it's annoying habits, like lectures ability to do anything with it without some level of cop-on. And I'm only talking about uploading a simple file here!

Naikon wrote: »
    I absolutely can't stand Webcurses. Horrible unintuitive layout and very SLOW.
    Why the hell isn't dit using an open source alternative like Moodle most other
    colleges use? Are blackboard pitching this crap intensively?

Down with webcourses.
    A senior lecturer in the school of computing was asked to look for a replacement for WebCT. Moodle was given as an alternative - i think it's a better alternative - but DIT decided to just spend a huge amount of cash (and i mean a huge amount) on a buggy, useless piece of rubbish written in java.

it's a shame that colleges don't support open source software but it the same out in the industry, companies have no problems to dish out the money for the support contracts they can get. the problem with moodle is - if it was to be rolled out DIT wide - is that you'd nearly have to have someone employed to maintain it.

moodle does have it's problems too, but tbh it has less problems than webcourses and it didn't cost the guts of a brand new BMW.

Advertisement