Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quake 3 for your browser

Options
  • 25-02-2009 9:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

BBC News
    Quake boosts browser video games

Quake Live is a re-working of 1999 title Quake III: Arena
    Classic game Quake III will be re-released for the web browser on Tuesday, highlighting the rapid development in web games.
    It runs inside browsers after the installation of a software plug-in.
    "It is a significant step which proves browser games can be sophisticated," said Michael French, editor of games industry magazine Develop.
    Quake Live is a version of a PC game which was first launched in 1999.
    The game is being released free of charge for browsers by id Software, and is supported by advertising. It opens to the public as a beta later on Tuesday.

Ohhhhhhhh :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I've been trying to play this morning but ive been in the queue for ages. from 6000 not at 3000.

Looks cool , want to try it out. If its the same as Q3, epic win.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,604 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The beta has been going for a while now. Been part of it myself; it's quite well done, though playing in a browser window feels weird. It has all the community add-ons I think all multi games should have as a pre-requisite tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Im still waitin on Battlefield Heroes aswell :(

Tried...was no 16963 in a queue, I dont have patience to queue in cinemas or anything....and i've just finished a 12hour night shift.

So i'll give it a miss till I can get in within 2 mins of opening my browser and all you good folk tell me its amazing ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

just played against the training bot. Feels like Q3 and looks great. Rather play this than scout update, kind of burnt out on tf2.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Waited in the queue for ages only to discover that their email activation system doesn't work. Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Quake 3 is ten years old!?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,431 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The queue is taking ages. Will wait until the initial hammering of the site is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Have been in the beta since it started but stopped playing a few months ago, not sure how it's progressed since then but it was enjoyable at the time. Will get back into it and see what improvements they've made, particualry the match making, team balancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Anyone know if this needs any specific ports to be open ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

What I enjoyed the most was, I stayed in the queue starting at 20000 and got all the way up to the front, downloaded and installed the software and was required to restart the browser. Fortunately when I went back to the site, I had to go to the back of the queue for a second time before I could play it - a nice touch I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

what's the address....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

nevermind

Kiith wrote: »
    nevermind

thanks anyway, that's the one I was trying...

20090225-j9sma6syndpaueiac8g4khwk5t.jpg

Quake Live site is down at the moment.

Sites back up, Position is queue: 26000 :(

are you there yest Cian, i'm at 20,000

is this the future of computers.....:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I was 27,000 a few minutes ago, now I'm 28,000. Damn queue jumpers !!!

I was 8000 but then it stopped going down, now the sites gone offline again :( I've probably lost my place too :(

I give up, try again tomorrow...

• Advertisement

Woot back working again, position: 5000 :)

And I'm in !!!! DOwnloading the plugin now, only 3MB.

Some kind of stupid bug now, after installing and resarting the browser I'm back in the queue again @ 32000 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Thornography

Welcome to waitlive!

Man I love this game, Been in the beta since october. Never played quake before my beta invite but im already on the highest possible playing tiers :)

We need more irish players ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Played the first level, got to the advanced door but didn't know how to do the wall run :(

The waiting is really annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Gimpylung

We need more irish players ;)

QFT

Queues are way shorter at this point btw, and I'm guessing it'll be virtually eliminated soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm pleasantly surprised at how well this runs, it runs better in my internet browser today than it did using my full pc back then :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Pretty good, no queue at all today.

SmellyIrishMan if you want to add me.

This mean it can be played in work ??:P sneakily :P

• Advertisement

What are our usernames ??

I think mine is Connavar

Not played Quake before, but did the tutorial thing...got to the expert stage.
    Fought the girl...and it was like 12-10 to me ...and then her skill level went ballistic and she mauled me 15-12 :P :P

Then i tried a game online..which was mental..spawnin lookin for some decent weapon..and dead !! :P ...good laugh though

Didnt see a railgun or whatever they are though

Advertisement