Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question .. From dictator to party

Options
  • 25-02-2009 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

So I was having an interesting discussion about this the other day.

In many countries in the world, both supposedly democratic capitalist and communist, we have seen power pass from a dictator to a party.

For example ...

Franco -> King whatshisname -> Democracy
    Stalin -> Party
    Mao -> Party
    Ho Chi Minh -> Party
    Fianna Fail -> Democracy
    etc etc

So we have seen one total dictator e.g Stalin, die and the power goes to the party, or at least the new lone dictators power is greatly weakened.

Now I'm not saying things suddenly improved overnight but a shared dictatorship of a party usually turns out a lot better for the people then a single man dictatorship.

I'm especially talking about so called 'communist' countries here but it has happened in both.

Ok so the whole point of this ?

In North Korea we have seen 김일숭 (Kim Il Sung) pass power to his son 김중일 (Kim Jung-il) and now apparently his son is going to take power when he finally goes belly up.

Whats peoples opinions on this ? Why is the 'party' in North Korea so very strong and yet so weak that they don't/haven't taken power when the lone dictator has eaten his last jaffa cake ?

I know you can argue that the brainwashing etc is far greater then anywhere else ever was but thats not strictly true, I've met a lot of North Koreans who say that most people don't believe 'the great leader' is a God or anything close to it but that they are just too afraid to even think about it in public.

I mean, the people in NK are not actually as bad off as many people believe, they are generally in a similar state (now) to what South Korea was maybe 35-40 years ago. Quite a large percentage of the people actually live 'well' (relatively speaking) enough so its not like they are all uneducated brainwashed idiots.

Advertisement