Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows

• 25-02-2009 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Need some advice. we got a brilliant price from <snip> and we know no one will beat them. but i have heard mixed reviews from people. some found them excellent others not so much. we could nearly get triple glazing from <snip> for the price of double glazing from the other 2 companies but the other companies have better reputations. Any one used <snip> before and any advice welcome :) we really need good windows as the windows are so big some are 2 metres in height.

Edit:

Please do not mention specific product names. Refer and review the forum charter.

Syd

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Soldier wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Need some advice. we got a brilliant price from <snip> and we know no one will beat them. but i have heard mixed reviews from people.

I'm in the same boat. I got mixed reviews too, but most of the issues people I know had were relatively minor, the main problem being slowness of <snip> to respond.

On the other hand, I've had two engineers give them high praise, including one who has <snip> windows in her own self-build house and had no problems either with the product or service. And, in fairness, the existing 10 year old PVC windows in my house are from <snip> and are in perfect order - I just can't stand PVC windows!

The alternative (for the type of window I want) was a German product. I decided in the end with the economy the way it is, despite some misgivings, I had to buy Irish. I told the sales guy that I really want to be able to tell people afterwards that I got a great product and service from his firm, but on the other hand if there are any problems, I will haunt them until they're sorted out. I expect these windows to be installed in the next four or five weeks - I'll let you know how I get on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

I bought from a company in the UK (PM me for the name) which i have heard great reports from people, I got 22 frames all PVC :(
    2 Double doors
    2 back doors
    1 front door
    and the remainder all windows tilt and turn for 6700Euros
    Now I did get trade price and no VAT as I bought through a builder but still a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

i was in the same predicament last year. got lots of prices but none of them where near what <snip> quoted.
    i had gotten warnings about them but what convinced me to go with them was one window company arrived to price windows and told me i couldn't put windows in where they were designed to go as my window frames weren't high enough from the ground, (it's a bungalow). i rang <snip> and they told me that yes my windows weren't very high but they had noted this and included safety glass in the price.
    i went with <snip> and i am so glad i did. had a small problem with lock on front door, rang them and they were out within a couple of days and had it fixed in minutes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Please do not mention specific product names.

Refer and review the forum charter.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055036302

Syd

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Scorpio Girl

sorry, i've given myself a slap.
    it won't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,408 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sorry, i've given myself a slap.
    it won't happen again.
    These new mods - power freaks :D

Nah just kidding. He was spot on with the editing as the mention of specific names is something we frown upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭RO 06

Most window suppilers/fitters buy their windows from the north and then double the price on them.I discovered this when getting quotes for replacement windows for my house.I saved a lot of money by getting a northern suppiler/fitter. If anyone wants his details feel free to pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Hi RO 06,
    Can you please PM me the name of the window installer in the north?

Thanks,
    Eddie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

RO 06 wrote: »
    Most window suppilers/fitters buy their windows from the north and then double the price on them.I discovered this when getting quotes for replacement windows for my house.I saved a lot of money by getting a northern suppiler/fitter. If anyone wants his details feel free to pm me.

Maybe u found this in one instance but I dont think it is fair to say most.

I belive most of the glazing units come from NI but not the framing.

I had a project in Sandycove: windows + doors from a well known NI entity 8500 euro: 9000 from a local supplier:cool:

kilkerry, read the forum rules, you are not allowed mention specific products or manufacturers.

• Advertisement

to anyone else posting in this thread

the OP is looking for recommendations for windows,

please keep these recommendations to PMs.. and only post here to say that a PM is send.

If you want to add anything to the thread, make sure you do not mention specific products, manufacturers or supplier

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Msmaloney26

Hi Lads/Ladies,

I am hoping to start new selfbuild in next 2 months. Not trying to hijack the thread either but I am looking for recommended ALUCLAD window companies. Please PM me if you have any recommended companies or any companies I should stay well clear of.
    I have done all the reviews of previous threads on this forum but would like some personal experiences if possible.

many thanks.

Advertisement