Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skyfest 2009 Waterford

• 25-02-2009 10:42am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Event Details

Date: Saturday 14th March

Event: The National Lottery Skyfest

Time: 6.30 – 8.30pm
    A breathtaking fireworks display is unleashed over and above the River Suir. Thousands gather on the quays to view this awesome pyro-musical show where dazzling colours and explosive effects are choreographed to an amazing soundtrack curated by Mark McCabe. The evening will kick off with a performance from Kìla themselves who are renowned for their uniquely energetic performances.

Just over 2 weeks now, should be a good nights entertainment with plenty of great photo opportunities

http://www.stpatricksfestival.ie/cms/events_skyfest.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

EXCELLENT! there should be fireworks every day :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Wont it still be bright at half 6 though?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

ziedth wrote: »

Yeah, but the fireworks display wont actually begin until around 8ish. Its usually screened live on RTE also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭owenmakken

ziedth wrote: »

Don't think itll matter, heard they could only afford a couple of packs of black cats this year. Should be still good - they'r gonna throw a few into bins and maybe tape two together!

Money I don't think will be an issue as the national lottery are paying for it. They are probably the only organisation that have increased profits since we entered into the recession.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

nice to see it here again, should help brighten things up even for a couple of hours...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

brilliant, meself and mrs greatgoal are booked into dooleys from fri 13 to mon 16,happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

greatgoal wrote: »
    brilliant, meself and mrs greatgoal are booked into dooleys from fri 13 to mon 16, and hosting a free drink and techno rave all weekend, you are all invited! happy days.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭greatgoal

old gregg wrote: »
    :D
    lol..probably worn out after pat mc manus and bernie marsden in electric avenue on fri night..but perserverence....keep her lit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

....Mark McCabe.......really?.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

....Mark McCabe.......really?.....

OGGIE......OGGIE.........OGGIE (Excuse Spelling)

God that will take me back, Ya seemingly they are doing the lotto draw live from the quay at 8 and then the fireworks are straight after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Excellent! Didn't know this was coming to Waterford...

Jaysus there's gonna be some crowd on the quay for that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

should be fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Is there any confirmation of what time the fireworks will be on at and how much they'll last?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

who's there with the camera?? barry you will be wont you, any good vantage points?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Sounds Cool!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Eye

I'll be there with my camera anyway :) looking forward to it.

Not sure of the best spots as they are saying no viewing from the bridge, the quays will be too mad to setup a tripod and not have it kicked about......hmmmmmm

would love to be able to get access to the roof of the tower hotel....that would be sweet :o anyone know any manager there? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SUPER AMAZING

051 862300

that's the Tower Hotel's number listed for "personal calls"
    Not sure who to ask for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Heard there is going to be over 4,000 fireworks. Should be spectacular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭themetallifan

Just flicked over to RTE1 there when they were showing it...

Seemed like a good firework show, but seriously, the director of that TV programme should be sacked. Everytime there was a climax and loads of fireworks were set off, they zoomed in on one firework....and then faded out with either some 'psychadelic' filter or with some tourist attraction in Waterford (one of which appeared to be street...how exciting). The sound of the accompanying music also kept going on and off...

I'm not saying the fireworks were bad (I couldn't really tell) but so much effort was put in, it's a shame to see them make a balls of the broadcast.

Oh and I heard two separate tourist groups in town (Dublin) today complaining that there were no fireworks on in the city. I mean...Waterford's all well and good, but when it comes down to it, the festival is one huge tourist attraction, which gives a major boost to shops etc over the weekend, and to expect the tourists to travel down is a bit naive.

Anyway..rant over...sorry about that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Mr Ed

Its been there for years and its about time it moved around the country. There's more to Ireland than Dublin.

Could none of the 1,661,185 residents manage to light a firework up there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Went to Skyfest and must say it was fantastic and a great boost to the county. Well done to all involved.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

It looks a lot bigger crowd wise then it was. Most of the crowd was up front then everywhere else wasnt that busy at all. Maybe it was just because it was so spread out though. Doubt people travelled from all over either!

Fireworks were fantastic, much better then the Spraoi. Regardless, nothing should be kept in Dublin. These type of events should always be moved around the country increasing tourism and revenue for retailers in the respective county. Dublin will always be busier and benefit more directly from tourism then anywhere else in this country. The South East isnt promoted enough toruism wise by the various tourism bodys so having Skyfest here has raised up the profile a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

The presentation was absolutely atrocious. It's a great credit to the pyro crowd to have had the whole thing run in sync to a soundtrack (speaking of which, Rage Against the Machine was a nice touch :)) but the RTE presentation completely drowned out the sounds of the fireworks which were absolutely immense! I live on Johns Hill and the sound from the Quay was deafening, yet none of this was captured by RTE who just played the soundtrack! The introduction of MTV-esque shaky cameras and over the top psychedelic effects only served to make this look like a cheap show that was thrown together instead of the grand spectacle that it actually was!

As for people criticising it being held in Waterford. I don't think all National Lottery funding should go to Dublin events. A lot of people worked very hard to bring this to Waterford and I don't think many people would disagree with me when I say it's by far the best location to have such an event outside of Dublin. Economically, this event was a massive success for Waterford. The City Centre was packed all day long with people who have been desperate for something to celebrate for far too long! Thanks to this event, many businesses in Waterford will have been granted a lifeline, for the time being anyway. Lets hope that whoever hosts it next will put as much effort into it to ensure the events success.

On a lighter note, I can't wait for the photos as the conditions were absolutely perfect!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I was at it myself with the wife and our 5yo ... he had a ball,could not get over it.
    It was great to be able to bring him down and still be home by 8:30as he was getting tired.

Very well organised i thought,we had a great spot in the main crowd in front of the two stages,Derek Mooney is a bit of a bogey though,and getting everyone to look up at the árd rí and talk to this other girl that was probably back stage was pushing it,but i enjoyed the music in the backround as the fireworks went off.

All in all,Waterford whould get more of these events,the Quay is a great spot for it,similar to Cork in that respect.
    Looking forward to the tall ships again in 2011

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

fireworks were the business, took a good number of them just need to get them processed

A few pics, not great quality though
    IMG_1354.jpg

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

IMG_1376.jpg

And RTE's coverage of Skyfest 2009
    Part 1

Part 2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I was busy taking in Liverpools thrashing, I say thrashing of Man Utd ;) when I could start to hear thuds in the background - took a moment to realise what was happening flicked over to RTE 1 to check and taped it.

If RTE screwed up the presentation should we be suprised?

mike65 wrote: »
    I was busy taking in Liverpools thrashing, I say thrashing of Man Utd ;) when I could start to hear thuds in the background - took a moment to realise what was happening flicked over to RTE 1 to check and taped it.

If RTE screwed up the presentation should we be surprised?

Watching it at lunch time was bad enough Mike, its a bit mad, ye have done the double over us this season but will still end up behind us at the end of the season,;) no way I could sit through highlights.

Anyway back on topic, fair play to the organisers of the Skyfest, it was very well done, RTE's coverage was alright, but as has been pointed out already, they didn't really capture all the sounds from the crowds and the fireworks themselves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think there was someone at the ard ri as they had the 3 lotto characters there before turning them off shortly before the event and a lot of lights were on near it..

Advertisement