Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish

• 25-02-2009 11:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Just bought some fish and was suprised at how expensive fresh cod fillets are.
    I'm use to buying donegal catch ,but the bread crumbs seems to add a lot more fat.

Would cooking fish like donegal catch and then scraping the batter off it ,make any difference ?
    Or can you buy fresh frozen fish ,cheaper than unfrozen?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I don't think fresh fish is that expensive, at least not compared to beef, chicken etc. Cod is one of the more expensive types off fish though. Scraping the batter off donegal catch :eek: Think about it this way - would you scrape the batter off a big Al's chicken burger in order to make a chicken fillet? I hope not^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Scraping the batter off donegal catch :eek:Think about it this way - would you scrape the batter off a big Al's chicken burger in order to make a chicken fillet? I hope not^^

:Dlol
    Donegal catch isn't that bad ,it is fish albeit undercover fish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 liz51

Aldi do some lovely frozen fish with no batter, like cod, salmon and haddock and even sea bass, and its really cheap too!

thanks liz ,
    I meant to go to aldi to get vegtables as I've been hearing they have good veg too.

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Donegal Catch also do frozen fish without breadcrumb/batter. You can get salmon, whiting and cod last I checked.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 liz51

yea asparagus is only 79c, and i had only bought it in tesco for 2.99 when i seen the offer!! :mad: they are doing a great deal, 6 different fruit and veg for 79c each, theres apples, strawberries, mushrooms, asparagus, potatoes and something else, its brill!

koth wrote: »
    Donegal Catch also do frozen fish without breadcrumb/batter. You can get salmon, whiting and cod last I checked.

Thanks Koth ,I didn't realise they did the fish that way.
    liz51 wrote: »
    yea asparagus is only 79c, and i had only bought it in tesco for 2.99 when i seen the offer!! :mad: they are doing a great deal, 6 different fruit and veg for 79c each, theres apples, strawberries, mushrooms, asparagus, potatoes and something else, its brill!

I have to go up there ,granny smiths in tesco are 2.80 ,baby spinach I bought was 3.50 ,cod was 3.50 for a single fillet.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Teamhar

Hiya,

Tesco have some good deals on fresh fish at the moment, including large salmon darnes for €2.50 each- great baked uncovered in the oven with a spicy seasoning and salad!

They also have a white fish called River Cobbler which comes from Vietnam- it comes prepacked, lightly dusted in spices and is very, very tasty. Just like cod but only €2.99 for two fillets.

Superquinn Whiting is good value too.

Cheers,
    T.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lidl do loads of types of frozen unbreaded white fish fillets, most are around €10 per kilo which is a good bit cheaper than donegal catch unbreaded ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

yoshytoshy wrote: »

I have to go up there ,granny smiths in tesco are 2.80 ,baby spinach I bought was 3.50 ,cod was 3.50 for a single fillet.
    Buying it in Tesco was a mistake, a fish monger or the discounters would be much cheaper

• Advertisement

Next time I need to get some groceries ,aldi will be where I go. I might start making trips to howth and buy directly from one of the mongers on the pier once a week.

I don't need to rely on branding for comfort food anymore ,as long as the food is fresh I'm happy.

Again ,thanks:)

Advertisement