Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turkish airliner crashes at Schipol

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

It appears it was on landing and has broken into 3 parts. No other news yet. I hope it's not too bad but by all accounts it sounds very serious.

Sky News

RTE

Picture

Edit: 737-800. "Apparently fewer than half not injured"

Edit 2: May want to merge this with the other thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

"The aircraft, carrying 135 passengers, split into three parts when it hit the ground next to the runway"

Wonder if it fell short or ran off the side? Fairly light (12mph) winds at schipol today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Turkish 737 reportedly breaks up at Amsterdam(25Feb09 10:16 GMT) David Kaminski-Morrow, London
    Rescuers are reportedly attending the scene of an accident involving a Turkish aircraft at Amsterdam Schiphol.
    The aircraft is said to be a Turkish Airlines Boeing 737-800.
    Images purportedly from the scene show an aircraft in a field, apparently broken into three sections.
    There is no immediate information on passenger numbers or possible casualties.

It seems that 50 people have walked away unhurt from the crash scene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

Merged.

Deaths being reported now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

pclancy wrote: »
    Merged.

Deaths being reported now :(

Turkish transort minister says no-one killed.
    Unofficial Turkish source says 1 killed.

Certainly no fire, still hard to tell if plane came down short or deviated from runway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Nobody was killed according to the latest report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

Seems the aircraft came down short of the runway.

Now wildly varying reports about casualties, Dutch Tv saying 5 dead, Turkish authorities saying no fatalities, so I'm not posting any more about that until there's some confirmation.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

Sky news reporting 9 dead including 3 on the flightdeck and more that 50 injured. Odd that this aircraft has a 2 man flightdeck. Dutch anti-terror spokesman says that terrorismis not a factor.

I could be way off here, but does something look wrong with the angle of the flaps in this pic, like they're deployed too far?

(From sky website)
    15229529.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Sky news reporting 9 dead including 3 on the flightdeck and more that 50 injured. Odd that this aircraft has a 2 man flightdeck. Dutch anti-terror spokesman says that terrorismis not a factor.

There might have been a crew member on the jumpseat, maybe a training flight, another pilot being carried to Amsterdam to take another flight, lots of possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Stee wrote: »
    I could be way off here, but does something look wrong with the angle of the flaps in this pic, like they're deployed too far?

(From sky website)
    15229529.jpg

It does- but after the crash its very likely they were damaged well passed 40 degrees (the max they can be deployed to in the flight deck)

It does- but after the crash its very likely they were damaged well passed 40 degrees (the max they can be deployed to in the flight deck)

Thats what I thought, but couldnt figure out why they'd go beyond 40 in the crash, I assumed they'd be pushed back to below 40.. just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bing2385

Does anyone know what might have caused the deaths of the 3 people on the flight deck, which is being reported by the press?

Showing no major signs of damage to the cockpit area, the only thing i can think of is that as the plane came down tail first, then the nose of the plane really hit down hard on the ground with a big impact, and this causing major injuries to the crew - similar to a car accident - the decelleration?

Any one any thoughts?

Very sad that this has happened.
    My thoughts and prayers are with all those affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭pclancy

It does look like the plane stalled into the ground with a high angle of attack causing the nose to come down very hard. It looks like they made have lost power and been gliding and then through trying to avoid the motorway and its traffic, lost control and slammed into the field its now lying in. Very lucky there wasnt a fire and more fatalities.

Its been a bad start to 2009 for aviation so far :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

pclancy wrote: »
    Its been a bad start to 2009 for aviation so far :(

Yes! Only the day before the crew of the Hudson river Airbus were on TV in front of a congressional hearing stressing the point that cutbacks in aviation will make it very unsafe. I was surprised that both pilots were captains but one agreed to step down to first officer to keep his job.

Airbus and Boeing have stated that they expect 50% of aircraft rolled out this year to go into storage due to airlines/operators credit ratings being lowered and no longer being able to purchase them.

We will have to watch out for serious cost cutting exercises by some airlines. It looks as though this Turkish 737 may have ran out of fuel. Far too early to speculate on minimum fuel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

bing2385

Does anyone know what might have caused the deaths of the 3 people on the flight deck, which is being reported by the press?

I heard that the nose gear shot up through the flight deck floor on impact. Could be complete horse-shyte though?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

any more info on what caused this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

We had some colleagues over from Amsterdam on Thursday and they were talking about birds, but I would have thought that could be easily established.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

The faulty radio altimeter only contributed to the crash. The failure of the crew to monitor the airspeed caused the crash. I'm sorry to say it was Pilot error. The crew of any aircraft landing on autopilot are supposed to monitor the airspeed among other things. They only reacted when the stall warning went off. By then it was far too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Amsterdam

I'm sorry to say it was Pilot error.

I would suggest you get in touch with the relevant investigators and let them know, I don't think they are quite sure of that yet.

I've been flying the 800 for a few years and this is the memo we got last night. The latest safety bulletin we've got from Boeing.....

"While the complex investigation is just beginning, certain facts have emerged from work
    completed thus far:

- To date, no evidence has been found of bird strike, engine or airframe icing, wake
    turbulence or windshear.
    - There was adequate fuel on board the airplane during the entire flight.
    - Both engines responded normally to throttle inputs during the entire flight.
    - The airplane responded normally to flight control inputs throughout the flight."

They also go on to mention...

"The Digital Flight Data Recorder (DFDR) data indicates that the crew was using autopilot B
    and the autothrottle for an ILS (Instrument Landing System) approach to runway 18R at
    Amsterdam Schiphol airport. During the approach, the right Low Range Radio Altimeter
    (LRRA) was providing accurate data and the left LRRA was providing an erroneous reading
    of -7 to -8 feet. When descending through approximately 2000 feet the autothrottle, which
    uses the left radio altimeter data, transitioned to landing flare mode and retarded the throttles
    to the idle stop."

Now to me that indicates something is not quite right with the aircraft. Flare mode should not arm on a single autopilot approach. Nor should you see "Retard" on the FMA at 200ft.

It's very easy to blame it on pilot error when highly publicised accidents like this occur or infact any accident. You never know, it may possibly be pilot error, but it is rarely as simple as that. But I would personally wait untill a more experienced, better educated individual(s) publishes a final report stating the probably cause before I would starting pointing fingers.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

don't think your company would be too happy with you pubicly posting internal memos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Amsterdam

Quoting a public document? Best start dusting off my CV......

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭wittymoniker

thought safety bulletins from Boeing were posted to Boeing owners and operators but maybe i need to renew my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Celtic Mech

don't think your company would be too happy with you pubicly posting internal memos.

Wouldnt be too worried as the Flight international article was just about a carbon copy of the Bulletin anyway!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Amsterdam wrote: »
    They also go on to mention...

"The Digital Flight Data Recorder (DFDR) data indicates that the crew was using autopilot B
    and the autothrottle for an ILS (Instrument Landing System) approach to runway 18R at
    Amsterdam Schiphol airport. During the approach, the right Low Range Radio Altimeter
    (LRRA) was providing accurate data and the left LRRA was providing an erroneous reading
    of -7 to -8 feet. When descending through approximately 2000 feet the autothrottle, which
    uses the left radio altimeter data, transitioned to landing flare mode and retarded the throttles
    to the idle stop."

Now to me that indicates something is not quite right with the aircraft. Flare mode should not arm on a single autopilot approach. Nor should you see "Retard" on the FMA at 200ft.

It's very easy to blame it on pilot error when highly publicised accidents like this occur or infact any accident. You never know, it may possibly be pilot error, but it is rarely as simple as that. But I would personally wait untill a more experienced, better educated individual(s) publishes a final report stating the probably cause before I would starting pointing fingers.

Thanks for posting this. As an outsider this seems like very poor system design - why would the autothrottle only use the left LRRA as an input, especially as both LRRAs had wildly different readings? I'd assume two LRRAs are fitted for redundancy, but only using the reading of one defeats the purpose. At the very least a warning should be flagged to the pilots that there is a discrepency in the readings.

Agree on waiting for the outcome of the investigation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

When descending through approximately 2000 feet the autothrottle, which
    to the idle stop."

Clearly many accidents is a combination of factors both technical and human. But the question I would ask you is this. As a 738 pilot, what would you do if you noticed the throttles went to idle at 2000 feet on the approach and the airspeed dropped below Vref?

As a pilot myself. I don't like to see pilot error ascribed as the sole reason for an accident. But it's hard to dismiss the idea that in this case it was the final reason for the accident.

The real mystery is why they didn't react until it was too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

this morning in schipol they were installing electric blinds on the windows looking out airside! they were testing them and ya could not see a thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

These Dutchmen don`t hang about,do they :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement