Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos ROI rip-off

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

ben101 wrote: »
    KDL46V400 SONY LCD
    -Argos ireland 1828 euro's
    -argos uk 1175 sterling (1331 euro's)
    -curry's 1350 euro's
    -Sony centre pavillion (free three year warranty)-1199 euro's.
    Come off it Argo's,the old overheads and running costs excuse doesn't cut it any more.Over 50% mark up over the competition is just ludicrous!!!

Keep the facts clean.
    'Over 50% mark up over the competition is just ludicrous!!!'
    35% markup on 1350 = 1828

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ben101

ch750536 wrote: »
    Keep the facts clean.
    'Over 50% mark up over the competition is just ludicrous!!!'
    35% markup on 1350 = 1828

Eh ,you left out "sony centre 1199 euro" that's OVER 50%.you keep YOUR facts "clean" mine are fine.

ben101 wrote: »
    Eh ,you left out "sony centre 1199 euro" that's OVER 50%.you keep YOUR facts "clean" mine are fine.

Yes, you are correct. Sorry.

That was even after taking alook at that deal and trying to persuade myself that I need a new TV.

No probs mate ,even 1199 is a lot dearer than uk website prices but its the best price i could find from an irish shop .Still think this offer stands but was in there the other day and ost of the KDL V series offers are sold out and now they have new promotions going for the newer models.Worth finding out if sony ireland are giving away free BD player with some models as they are in other countries.But even if you don't a 3 yr warranty aint too bad either.

Ignore the warranty, is pointless.

If you pay a grand for a telly I would expect it to work for 7 years. Either Sony would have to fix it, replace it or argue in court why their TV's are not designed to last 7 years.

:)

• Advertisement

If you pay a grand for a telly I would expect it to work for 7 years. Either Sony would have to fix it, replace it or argue in court why their TV's are not designed to last 7 years.

you are dead right ,legally .it's to do with fair usage and the 12 month manufacturers warranty isn't legally binding,you should get at LEAST 5 yrs.But the reason i've ended up with a sony is that my LG plasm died after 3 and a half years.Over 2 and a half grand inc .3 yrs insurance.At the moment i don't have the time,money or energy to chase them through the courts ,even though i've since heard of dozens of similar cases.Seems to be an inherent flaw in LG plasmas(defective SUS boards,i think). but their customer service sucks.I would be interested to hear from other people in the same boat ,Then i might reconsider.

I have threatened to do this on 7 or 8 occasions, never gone to court. I have always been quite reasonable and offered to pay half of the shipping costs of the item (never been a telly to be fair). They have always repaired, replaced or given me vouchers to buy something else, which I was happy to accept.

It was clear LG weren't budging and they don't even have an official repair or service centre here,nearest one is in cragavon,i think.So i cut my losses and bought a sony.If it goes after 2-3 years i can always turn up on the doorstep at the official repair centre HQ ,which i think is in tallaght.
    It's a lot easier to hassle these big companies if they have a base here.
    Top tip,never buy a product from a company that doesn't have a proper service/repair infrastructure in place.
    In LG's case ,Ireland was obviously considered another part of the UK so they never bothered their ar**e to give ireland a proper back up service.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭vikingdub

There is a guy called Neil (I think) running a bus from Dublin to Newry, it is a great service and they deliver your shopping to your door in Dublin. He also has a service that enable you to order online from companies who require a UK address / post code. You can then either pick the goods up or have them delivered the address provided in the North. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the web address here http://www.recessionbustours.ie/
    but if you google recessionbustours you will find the site. I have no connection with the company, in fact, when I first found it I had some reservations. However, I called the number, asked a lot of questions, received very satisfactory answers and have used the service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I recently had a 36" CRT telly go on the blink. I'd bought it 4 years ago from Harvey Norman, with an extended warranty. They've just given me a replacement, a 37" LCD, no problem.

Having had that experience, I'll seriously consider buying from a bricks-n-morter shop again next time. For a TV anyway, maybe not for other equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

legally the store you buy the product is obliged to repair replace or refund even if you buy from a sony store they are most likely a franchise.
    animaal wrote: »
    I recently had a 36" CRT telly go on the blink. I'd bought it 4 years ago from Harvey Norman, with an extended warranty. They've just given me a replacement, a 37" LCD, no problem.

Having had that experience, I'll seriously consider buying from a bricks-n-morter shop again next time. For a TV anyway, maybe not for other equipment.
    this was due to your bought insurance/warrenty but without that extra warrenty you still would be entitled to repair or replacement for faults due to poor workmanship etc anything really barring customer damage and normal wear and tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

vikingdub wrote: »
    There is a guy called Neil (I think) running a bus from Dublin to Newry, it is a great service and they deliver your shopping to your door in Dublin. He also has a service that enable you to order online from companies who require a UK address / post code. You can then either pick the goods up or have them delivered the address provided in the North. I am not sure if I am allowed to post the web address here http://www.recessionbustours.ie/
    but if you google recessionbustours you will find the site. I have no connection with the company, in fact, when I first found it I had some reservations. However, I called the number, asked a lot of questions, received very satisfactory answers and have used the service.

Hi all,
    A word of warning about http://www.recessionbustours.ie/, they are a complete shower of idiots and I hope you do not have the mis fortunate I did in getting mixed up with them.

I ordered a piece of furniture in Argos in the North and wanted them to deliver it to me in Dublin. Firstly, I contacted them through the contact form on their website and asked how much it would be to get said item of furniture delivered to Dublin and I was told no more then €40. I sent them the exact link from the Argos website so they had dimensions, weight etc. Delivery day came and I was then told I had to pay €60 by another person, apparently the guy that runs the show even though I had the e-mail that said €40. Apparently there are a number of people involved and differnt prices are given out....first warning sign!!

He arrived on his own with a van and my piece of living room furnitire in it, I had though he would at least have had one helper as the unit was big and in two pieces (second warning sign). With no one else in sight I had to help him bring it into my place only to discover the top part of the unit was badly damaged?? Anyhow, Argos got the blame and he agreed to take the unit back up to the North with him.

Next day I called Argos and in fairness to them they agreed to send out a replacement no questions asked. So the delivery date for the replacement is set to the following week and they will pick up the damaged top half of the unit and replace with a new one. I called yer fella and told him the deal, he re-assured me that he would be back down to deliver the replacement unit the next day after it was delivered and that he would call me beforehand.

I waited, and waited and once again waited..... and with no word from him (not even that call he promised), I decided to call. Turns out Argos came, something magical happened and once again the unit was damaged.....He was unable to tell me who signed for the unit?? There is no way in hell that Argos would come to replace a unit with a damaged one and no way they would leave the new unit without it being signed for so all I can assume is one of his incompetent staff damaged it again if in fact that is the real story??

The moral of it all is that I would never ever use these shower again and would be worried for anyone else that would, especially when it comes to furniture. I have no idea what they are like with delivering anything else but I can sure as hell tell you I won't be finding out!!

Sorry to rave but you know it does good to get these things off one's chest!!

Cheers,
    M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Chuckchuck

I bought an camera up north after comparing prices between Argos up there and here. Saved e150 after exchange rate. paid with Bank of Ireland mastercard and it was no prob. Also bought a few other things while in Argos....everyone of them were cheaper

Advertisement