Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Playground Football Rules(those were the days)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Link to source http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/short3.htm - There's also some more stuff to read on there, once ye can get used to the Scottish patois.

Christopher Brookmyre's books are relatively decent and pretty readable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

in school it was definitely the hurting ppl that mattered most to us. was different at home on the road, serious stuff.

(OP should include source)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Quality read and all so true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Thank you OP , Quality stuff .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Ah World Cup I was a poacher/hatcher because I used to sit near the box (you couldn't shoot inside it) and grab a goal by deflecting it or taking it off the striker and scoring :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Ah World Cup I was a poacher/hatcher because I used to sit near the box (you couldn't shoot inside it) and grab a goal by deflecting it or taking it off the striker and scoring :pac:

Beating offence in my day. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ah the memories.

Used to love a good game of 'Red Arse' on a cold December afternoon in school. It always ended up the same poor lad bent over with his cacks down getting walloped by a brick of a Mitre ball.

/wells up

P.S. Overs NEVER count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Great thread. Oh the memories of getting a belt of a half burst cup champion ball! It was probably the most painfull thing I can remember from my days in school!
    World cup was great. "Im Brazil" and then a running commentary on everything that went on in the game! Classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

IvySlayer wrote: »

AKA: "Sh***ing on the line"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Headshot wrote: »
    remember playing world cup

everybody against each other and you score to get in the next round

I was always goal poching,let everybody else do the hard work and then ill finish the job:D

Yep, World cup was great. We had to play a bottle cap back in primary due the principal banning footballs cause anytime it was kicked into the other yard it smack a junior enfant in the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

The best days of my life were spent kicking the football around our green. Used to have these marathon games of football, some games would last 2-3 hours, and it wouldn't have been unheard of to be down on the green playing for 12/13 hours. Ah great days.

Used to love playing World Cup Teams, 10-6, Heads and Vollies, and local matches between the different roads in my estate.

Have to say that, in the last 10 years or so, ye'd never see the kids out on the green kicking the football around, sad to see to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Roddy23 wrote: »
    Used to love playing World Cup Teams, 10-6, Heads and Vollies, and local matches between the different roads in my estate.

Whats 10-6?

I remember my cousins getting a video tape along the lines of the best hundred goals and saves ever and watching that.

For ages after we would make serious efforts to "recreate" what we saw on the tape.

The major problem was the goalkeeper was intent on creating the best saves while everyone else was intent on creating the best goals => Cue for MASSIVE FIGHTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Whats 10-6?

I think its the same as what we used to play: 10-4

Essentially it was roughly 3 people, 2 outfield and a GK.

The two had to shoot on the volley, so passing and setting up shots was key. Anything the keeper caught was a point to him and any goal scored was a point to the outfield. Inside the box you were only allowed to use the head.

The outfield get to 10 and the keeper stays in for a second term of office. If the keeper wins then the person who gave away the last point gets in. This is where the "your not even shooting" arguments came into play.

Me and the lads introduced that any wide or over was also a point to the GK and so upped the score to 10-10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

We just call that game "Heads and Volleys" :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Me and my friends still play world cup and on the volley :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Them's the rules iregk.

Des - ye it was Heads and Volleys but with scoring. Another alternate was using time - we used to play 30 seconds, if there was no score after 30 seconds, last person to touch the ball would be in. But if ye scored a goal, the clock went back to 0. Also if the ball went out, the clock would be stopped. Don't think it's any wonder that 30seconds usually meant a mill up between someone, as it required for honesty of effort. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Ah this thread brings back memories. World Cup was great. Heads and volleys was always a good laugh. I hated being in goal for that. I remember one great day playing that on the green where my best friend seemed to have to stay in goal for an eternity because me and my other friend couldn't stop scoring goals. He ended up going off in a huff. Playing with the tennis balls was also great fun.

The football games were a big deal in primary. We had names for our teams - 'Devilpool' and 'Villa Utd'. :pac: I recall I was transferred from Villa Utd to Devilpool for around 50p or thereabouts and scored twice on my debut, first one was unjustly disallowed. One funny occasion I recall was when the vice-captain of Villa Utd (self-appointed I might add) had the bright idea of bringing in badges for us to wear so we could make out each other easier. The idea flopped spectacularly, then again they were made of cardboard. Devilpool had plans to bring in a kit but these were eventually scrapped when it was discovered how difficult this would be. I remember we had a cup one time which I won with Devilpool but I never got to be pictured with it because they asked us to pay for the privilege and I was having none of that.

I recall also one time near my house there was a green gate and someone bet us that we couldn't curl the ball into the smallest opening in it. We must have practised for about an hour and eventually I managed to curl a Beckham-style beauty into the opening and proceeded to run about the green as if I was Ryan Giggs in the 99 semi-final. I kept my shirt on though.

I miss those days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Me and my mates made up a game called "Tree, wall and ball" :D

There was a wall out the back of our road with a tree and a rock about the size of your head in front of it. We'd stand about 20 feet away from the wall and try to hit the rock.
    The rock was 5 points, the tree was 3 and the wall was 1 point. First to fifty won.

Oh the joy of hitting the wall to have the ball bounce back and hit the rock, ricochet to the tree and bounce to the wall again. We called that a "tenner"

We also played Heads and Volleys, World Cup and "3 And In"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

ah yes world cup knockout, and then we used play 3 goals in as well, you score three goals you go in goals(a lot of questions were asked about the some of the goals that went in in this game..)..
    oh also world cup teams or premierships teams(not sure if thats the correct name), everyone playing picks a team premiership/'world cup depending on which you decide to use and everyone tells the person in goals the team they've picked and then everyone plays against each other and when you score you get to pick a team and if you pick the team some one else picked they're out..that was good fun...
    we also used play if we were having a kick about if you hit it over the wall you have to go in goals

Advertisement