Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent not being paid

Options
  • 25-02-2009 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Not sure what forum this goes in but anyway just looking for some advice

Have a house rented and the tenants signed a 6 month contract which was up to January, they have always had problems having the money in on time, there are now owing me 1900 as from yesterday they have no called in to renew the contract for 3 months. I dont know where this leaves me in regards trying to get the money out of them and asking them to leave.

All help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Not sure what forum this goes in but anyway just looking for some advice

Have a house rented and the tenants signed a 6 month contract which was up to January, they have always had problems having the money in on time, there are now owing me 1900 as from yesterday they have no called in to renew the contract for 3 months. I dont know where this leaves me in regards trying to get the money out of them and asking them to leave.

All help greatly appreciated

Have you still got the deposit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Cheeky Chick

Yeah I still have the deposit of 800

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

best get rid of them

ive had them , more trouble than there worth

simple thing to have rent on certain date , shows they dont give a toss , why should you ???

How do i get the rent back tho, its alot of money and they are claiming rent allowance

keep the deposit and tell them they have 2 weeks to get balance or be gone in the 2 weeks

u let them walk over u till now by letting them away with it , they prob think ur a pushover

do it up on paper , etc basically you lose your deposit and unless €1000 overdue is paid in 2 weeks i want you to vacate premises

stand firm

• Advertisement

Hard tho when they dont answer there phones are never there when i call to the house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Good info from the Threshold website. I've linked to Landlords-Know your rights.

And I'd say check exactly what you need to do. Even if the tenants are messing you around if you illegally evict them it could mean a claim against you.

well then i know i will get slated for this but id leave a letter in the post box and then if no contact in 2 weeks id go over with a friend and change the locks.and when they call you , then u go over let them collect stuff

make sure u have somebody with you

only way these people learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    well then i know i will get slated for this but id leave a letter in the post box and then if no contact in 2 weeks id go over with a friend and change the locks.and when they call you , then u go over let them collect stuff

I don't think that's legal but I know where oyu are coming from. My brother in law had to do something similar in Dublin a few years back. He went a bit further than that though. Dodgy enough strategy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

as far as I'm aware the residential tenancies act 2004 is in play here. You should notify them in writing that they have 14 days to rectify the rent situation, if they fail to do this then you serve them with 28 day eviction notice.

I'd double check what i said is correct but as far as I remember it is.

• Advertisement

Ok well i will be callin over to the house now shortly so hopefully will catch them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Seeing as you're a girl, bringing your husband or maybe a brother with you wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Just saying for your own sake

Yeah i have someone coming with me!!! Thanks for all teh comments will keep u updated

as far as im aware , you have to ask for the money and after 2 weeks if it isnt sorted then they have 3 weeks

so a month from asking to them leaving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 happenstance

Hi there OP.

I have been in a similar situation before with tenants. Resolved it by contacting the local Community Welfare Officer directly explaining the problem and asking for rent allowance to be paid directly into my account.

Tenants are claiming housing allowance for the purpose of paying their rent not to supplement their benefits.

I'd suggest you do this now before they run up further arrears at your expense whilst pocketing the allowance and availing of myriad protectionary supports.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

How do i get the rent back tho, its alot of money and they are claiming rent allowance

If they are claiming rent allowance, complain to whatever Health Board is "paying their rent." The money given is supposed to be given to cover their rent, NOT extra fun money for themselves. Chances are if they have already blown it, their incomes are probably too low to be able to effectively recover what they owe you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Fatloss08 wrote: »

Much as it might give you pleasure, they can then sue you for illegal eviction and the police can force you to let them back in. Go the legal route and deliver a letter with the correct level of notice in it, then, you can perfectly legal go round and remove their belongings and change the locks once that time is up.

Having said that, if you issue them an eviction order, in most cases they will simply disappear within a couple of weeks, have seen loads of cases where that was the outcome. Generally they don't challenge your eviction as long as you do it correctly and they are clearly in the wrong. You have very little chance of getting your money back unfortunately.

Advertisement