Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economys short term boost for political gain??

Options
  • 25-02-2009 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭

The government is blaming the banks, the financial markets that’s all you hear is how they took excessive risks to boost short term profits to acquire bonuses. Which is bad for long term efficiency of a business. The last time I checked the banks don’t run the country the government does. And by the looks of things it’s the government that took excessive risks to boost the economy in the short term for political gain which has obviously has had a long term effect of weakening the economy, imploding under the first sign of economic stress. Maybe what’s best for economies in the long run isn’t necessarily best for the governments popularity but a more sensible approach has to be implemented in the future. Squandering money just cause we have it is not going to last forever how could it be good for the long run efficient economy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i think its a diesease of modern companies and govs. you only think about the next shareholder dividend the share price or in the govs case the opinion polls and the next election. i remember reading somewhere that insurance companies used to work out their real worth over what had happende over the last 10 years to iron out blips caused by storm damage say now a storm causes immediate rises in premiums the following year to claw back losses. short termism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This is the real problem with the current system, there is only short term planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

not only that but they over spend to stimulate an economy in the short run which only ends up effecting it in the long run...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Well, on one hand, 5 year plans didn't work for communisim.
    On the other hand, 1 year plans barely work at this stage for capitalisim.

What we need are people who know how to manage an economy.
    People who know how to micromanage sections of an economy.

The whole point of a constitutional parliamentary system like we have, as opposed to a two party republic with a president like the Americans have, is that our leaders can stay in power for the duration of their economic and social programs.
    The problem is that our leaders are inevitably corrupt and incompetent and the best people simply cannot get to the top because you have to make the right alliances and grease the right wheels.
    And then their is your name and your family history.

I'd seriously doubt Brian Lenihen would even be able to play Sim City, Railroad Tycoon, Civilisation, or Masters of Orion .
    Seriously, if they're not going to appoint qualified people, they should make it a requirement for ministers to play these games so that they'd at least have an inkling.:) :):)

The only option as I see it is that we change our political system.
    Its clearly not working.
    We don't have a republic or a true democracy and the parliamentary system is not working here.

My guess is that we seem to have a constitutional monarchy or a hereditary system at least. Somewhere along the line we have morphed from a true parliamentary democratic republic into an 'aristocracy' of sorts.

There was an excellent thread the other day about some of the reforms that could take place to re-energise our political system, I will try to dig it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

countries should be putting money aside for times like this not squandering it all when times are good to keep people happy and effectively buying votes for the next election..

now were borrowing more and still in debt...

• Advertisement
Advertisement