Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Military Jet in Weston?

Options
  • 25-02-2009 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭

I was passing Weston airstrip on the way home about 2 weeks back and I'm almost certain I saw a military jet on the runway... what are the chances of this? I only got two quick glimpses at it - and it definitely looked military - cockpit - swept back wing etc. I nearly crashed trying to get a second look at it, but couldnt see clearly enough through the bloody ditch.

I saw the thread about a couple of French lads landing in Baldonnell, but this was definitely Weston ;-)

Muppet Man.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 karl123

weston have an old decommissioned bomber just off the runway all the time.. never used though. it was a present to them from the british air force or something along those lines...

i was told what it was exactly when i did lessons there but forget it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Think it's a Buccaneer, was mentioned here before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Thats an EX RAF Blackburn Buccaneer XV863, also a Gulf War 1 Vet Aircraft, also served as a Gate Guardian at RAF Lossiemouth,and is in a Non Flyable Condition.

Here is her History:http://www.blackburn-buccaneer.co.uk/S2_XV863_files/S2_xv863.html

karl123 wrote: »
    weston have an old decommissioned bomber just off the runway all the time.. never used though. it was a present to them from the british air force or something along those lines...

I dont think it was a "present" from the Royal Air Force, infact ive been told a private collector acquired it. Christy Keane Museum it says on the History file ive attached in the above post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Yeah, that was it alright I'd say... didnt get much of a chance to see it, but it looks about right and the story fits.

Thanks Lads, at least I'm not losing the plot. :D

Muppet Man.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bing2385

Yes, I can also confirm this.

I landed there on several occasions whilst doing survey work, and I think i might have a photo of it here somewhere. must have a look for it if your interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Thanks Bing, I wouldnt mind having a closer look if you have it handy. It would save me stopping on a not so safe road and pulling out the binoculars. ;)

Muppet Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Just drive into to Weston ( by the tower/restaurant ) and have a look....

The Bucc is about 50 yds from the car-park ( public area ) you can see it clearly from there.

I take my daughter there most weekends to watch the aeroplanes taking off/landing , she loves it ( of course I hate very min :) )

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Thanks Bing, I wouldnt mind having a closer look if you have it handy. It would save me stopping on a not so safe road and pulling out the binoculars. ;)

Muppet Man

Here ya go, sent to me when she first arrived, so not my pics:

2-27.jpg

1-41.jpg

3-16.jpg

:)

Advertisement