Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in professional editing for television and/or film (where to start?)

• 25-02-2009 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey.
    I was wondering if any of you guys here could help with a few questions I have.

I’m interested in pursuing a career in editing (Film or TV) I understand editing for TV would be more realistic to begin with.

Anyway, my question is;

What is the best path to take in regards to training and qualifications?
    So far I’ve looked into courses in film base and full-time study in BCFE.

Do I really need to go to college full time for 2 years to gain the knowledge I need to become a working editor? Or would doing night course here and there, building on my skills be enough to get my foot in the door?

If I was to study full time in BCFE, would it be better to do the TV or the Film 2 year course?
    The TV one looks like you’d learn practical skills, where as the film course looks like it’s set up for burning film makers with a story to tell and all that.

I just want to be an editor.

Does anyone have any advice for me?
    I have little experience, so I guess I would be starting from the ground up.
    I was also thinking about investing in a new Mac and kitting it out with final cut pro/Avid and have my own rig to work off also.

I’m just so confused right now as what to do and where to go, so any advise you guys can give me would be great.

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

While having some formal education in the area will stand to you, the best education for an editor is working under the guidance of an experienced editor. So that generally means starting from scratch as a runner in a post house making the teas and coffees, being treated like ****, possilble working crazy hours for little or no money... and then working your way into the tape (CAR/MCR) room, or tape monkey (assis editor) logging and digitisng tapes etc.. and eventually you may get a break... It's a long hard road, but if you are serious and willing to put in the time... you can become an editor.

At the end of the day you can only learn so much from a book or lecturer, they will show you how to use the edit tools, but working day to day with video an a talented editor you will learn heaps more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭The Stand

Thanks for the helpful reply decob.

I understand the best education is to train by doing and all that, but it’s getting my foot into the post production/editing house in the first place that seems to be the problem.

Is going to college for 2 years really worth it, just so you can get your foot in to start at the bottom?
    Would it not be better to spend movie, set yourself up with a home rig and start building a demo/portfolio while doing courses like film base’s final cut pro and what not and try pimp yourself to editing houses with those apple approved certs and/or the avid equivalent?

I guess right now I’m torn between applying to do the 2 years TV course in BCFE or stay in full time employment and do night and weekend courses and self study and kit myself out with a decent rig and concentrate on building a portfolio to get my foot in somewhere.

+ Besides film base and the final cut pro courses they offer, is there anywhere else one could do part time or night courses in editing.

Is there anywhere to train in the latest avid software?

again, thanks for listening..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭afatbollix

i did the corse in BCFE.. the TV one... they are upgrading to HD at the mo... so thats a bonus... i know one person who left the college and before the corse was up was editing his own show for setanta and TV3...
    the teachers in the corse will teach you all you need to know to use the equipment also the other things ya need to know like how to make a story with the footage you have... in the 1st year you learn all the equipment and the 2nd you are basicly out working for the college with clients so you can work up a portfolio and get to work with a director/ producer and a client ( the client is the hardest :P )

no one will look at you with out any experance... you will be making tea for a long time before you get a break with out a bit of paper...

to get a good pc and the software will cost about 20k to get the right equipment...

Advertisement