Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fastest player in Premiership history?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

actually, from what i've heard Adebayor is meant to be the fastest over 100 metres, or at least he beats Henry and Walcott.

in football though, it's not the full 100 metres that matters, it's the pace over the 10 or 20.

dare I say it, but people are forgetting the rest of the positions as well. certainly some of the fastest sprints i've seen were from centre backs and full backs getting into recovery positions. the likes of Clichy and evra are exceptionally quick too, they just dont get as much of an opportunity to see it. Ferdinand too can make up a lot of ground exceptionally fast.

Reminds me of Stam, actually. He was deceptively quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭DenMan

Gael Clichy and Bacary Sagna are lighting quick. I have never seen players like them to be up and down the pitch so fast. Marc Overmars was some player alright. "The Roadrunner" or "meep meep" is what he was known as.

Agbonlahor is super quick too. Great asset for Villa. Djibril Cisse certainly can claim to be up there with them that's for sure. Also Liverpool's Ryan Babel moves like lighting, a very good player.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

Pallister and Silvestre in their prime were seriously fast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Mick McCarthy, back in his Milwall days was one of the slowest i've ever seen anyway. My pick for fastest i've seen was Lineker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd imagine Ferdinand is up there, I can't ever actually remember him being beaten for pace in that initial 10-20 yards acceleration.

Apparently Evra wins the sprinting tests at United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Terry Phelan was dam quick anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

would imagine at full speed few would be faster than Ronaldo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Richard Dunne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭bigstar

terry phelan for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

Henri Camara?
    Alan O'Brien was supposed to have been the fastest player at Newcastle while he was there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Remember our own Michael Reddy and Sunderland, could really fly, but used to forget the ball too often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Thierry wins it for me, simply because of what he could do with the ball while slicing defences open with his pace. Theo for a 100m sprint, Ruel Fox was quick too, Giggsy in his day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

http://www.skysports.com/whoisthefastest/index.html

current

agbonlahor
    Ronaldo
    rooney
    walcott
    adabyaor
    torres
    bentley
    young
    martins
    lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Jam-Fly

It depends what you mean. If it's just the 100m sprint, I think Walcott is/was able to it in under 10.5. If it's like stamina and consistency throughout a match, I agree, haven't really seen anyone faster than Gabby.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

kida wrote: »

current

agbonlahor
    Ronaldo
    rooney
    walcott
    adabyaor
    torres
    bentley
    young
    martins
    lennon

That look like a list of people that have nike sponsors tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

actually, from what i've heard Adebayor is meant to be the fastest over 100 metres, or at least he beats Henry and Walcott.
    Yup, heard that too alright.

Kenny Sansom once told my brother that Bergkamp was one of the top 2/3 over 100m at Arsenal - pre-Adebayor/Walcott but they still had Ljungberg, Henry, Pires, Cole, etc. which is pretty impressive.

But I really don't think 100m is a worthwhile test for football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What else do you want us all to base it on? It's a question that even the players or coaches probably couldn't give a definitive opinion on!

No, I'd go by exactly the same thing. :D

Great pace - I used to always play him on the wing.

Fastest player ever (in ISS terms anyway) goes to Tijani Babangida - 99 in speed AND acceleration!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

kida wrote: »

current

agbonlahor
    Ronaldo
    rooney
    walcott
    adabyaor
    torres
    bentley
    young
    martins
    lennon

lol, Rooney faster than Walcott and Lennon - to a pizza maybe - ROFL :D:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gonzalez at liverpool was supposedly very quick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Yup, heard that too alright.

Kenny Sansom once told my brother that Bergkamp was one of the top 2/3 over 100m at Arsenal - pre-Adebayor/Walcott but they still had Ljungberg, Henry, Pires, Cole, etc. which is pretty impressive.

Kenny Sansom will say anything for a pork pie and a pint of Hoffmeister.....he told me I could make the Arsenal starting 11....I am 33, 16 stone and was matching him pint for pint over a 9 hour session.....Top lad but a fcuking liar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭sitout

francis benali:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭kpnuts

"They say around Nottingham that Franz Carr can catch pigeons."

I remember a commentator making that claim during a live match broadcast on ITV. Hardly scientific, I admit, but the boy Franz certainly wasn't a slouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

the ljunberg thing came from an interview with wenger on football focus during the swines invincible season. It was that he was the fastest in the sprints in training without the ball. Don't know what people are laughing at he was bloody fast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I still think Marc Overmars was very nippy...

When pushed, Anelka can be like lightning too.

My vote would be for Marc Overmars in the end tho.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

yahoo_moe wrote: »
    Not unless your name is Sylvain Wiltord and you spend your games running in circles :)

Sagna isn't exceptionally quick. Not Agbonlahor, Walcott quick anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,434 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

was matching him pint for pint over a 9 hour session

Hmm, thats an interesting thought. Give everyone past or present about 15 pints of lager and then check and see who's the fastest ? Any thoughts ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,103 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Hmm, thats an interesting thought. Give everyone past or present about 15 pints of lager and then check and see who's the fastest ? Any thoughts ?

McGrath played with a few in him on more then one occasion, so has a headstart on the rest in terms of experience. Also Gaz, and Le Tissier would be well able to handle a fair few beers. Tony Adams could match any of them if he fell off the wagon too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

+1 for Dennis Rommedahl here.

pure sprint without ball that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

dyl10 wrote: »
    I'm sure a few premiership clubs have some completely greyhounds who aren't up to Premiership footballing standard lying in reserve :pac:
    not 100% on this but apparantely richie partridge was quicker than michael owen back in his liverpool days

• Advertisement
Advertisement