Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - BT & Third Party Router

Options
  • 25-02-2009 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I was just wondering if anyone here has BT DSL Broadband and is using it with a third party router? I have only just gotten BT installed, I declined their offer of a wireless modem&router as I already had my own wirless router (Linksys W54G with Tomatoe Firmware). I had thought that by getting BT to send out a straight forward modem (DSL-320B) with a network port I could just replace my cable modem with the DSL modem. Unfortunately they are not playing nice together and BT tech support either has no idea how to set this up or just doesnt care depending on who you get on the phone. Is there anyone out there with the same modem from BT and a third party router that I can compare notes with or a network guru who might be able to help?

Regards,
    Dave

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any ADSL router/modem will work with any ISP but if you choose a unsupported model then there technical support dept does not have to play ball with you other then give you settings like VCI/VPI, user/pass etc.

Your on your own after that as they would not be trained to assist with that make/model of router and it doesn';t help their call stats etc or company policy if they try to assist you anyway. Although the very odd time if your nice you might get an agent who goes outside of this and helps but they don't have to do this.

I don't use BT DSL myself so no sure of the settings although I had BT Business years ago which I used with a Netgear DG834G but settings for business packages are very different to home...I'm sure someone will be along shortly to assist you with settings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

I don't know anything about tomato, but from the dd-wrt perspective you can initiate a PPP connecion from the router to the ADSL modem, provided the modem is in RFC 1183/2684 LLC bridging/ routing mode.

I used use the old style zyxel prestige 600 series modem like that with DD-WRT, now with a netgear wgr614 and it works fine (reduces ping slightly too)

You have a PPP username / password? ([EMAIL="joebloggs@btbb"]joebloggs@btbb[/EMAIL]?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I have a BT connection with a third party router - unfortunately it's all all-in-one job (4*lan,wifi,dsl) so I don't know if I can help you. I used to use a Linksys W54G on the standard Zyxel router from BT and it worked fine. Configuration has been deleted now though when I flashed it with a custom firmware to turn it into a bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Good choice with tomato...

Unfortunately the DSL-320B isn't a real DSL modem.
    It's a router with its bollocks cut off.
    What you want to do is forward the PPPoE connection
    to tomato where you'll do the login/NAT/etc.

What you need to do first is connect your "modem"
    to your pc. These things usually have an IP address
    setup but may not have DHCP to give your PC an
    address. Follow the instructions in the box up 'till
    you can get a web interface...

Make a note of the IP settings in case you need them in future.

Make sure that the box is set to pass through/bridge PPPoE
    and matches the settings:

VPI - 8
    VCI - 35
    LLC/SNAP

Connect up the tomato box....

In the Basic - Network section change the PPPoE credentials:

e.g
    joeblogs@btbb
    dumbpassword

Check to see if that worked from the Status - Overview section in Tomato.

That should crack it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Folk,

Cheers for the feedback, really appreciated. I knew that using my own router could cause problems due to the support restrictions that Caabal mentioned which I was fully aware of but I was hoping that I might be able to get a hold of someone in their tech support who won't give me the boiler plate response and might actually know enough to help me. Unfortunately this was not the case after talking to about a half a dozen support agents Ive given up on that idea mostly due to the fact that half of them didnt know what bridging mode was.

@ Cros13 - Cheers for the excellent info. I have tried that setup but it didnt work in that I can't get any web pages. Does the modem need to be hooked up to a LAN or WAN port of the router when in bridging mode. I have tried both with no success but was just wondering. Any other suggestions, should I post screenshtos of my modem and router settings?

Regards,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

PDD wrote: »
    Does the modem need to be hooked up to a LAN or WAN port of the router when in bridging mode.

You'd need to connect the ADSL modem to the routers WAN port

Advertisement