Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Bill Price Any advice

Options
  • 25-02-2009 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Just a couple of enquiries, my missus opened the post this morning and the gas bill arrived boy did we get a shock 536 euros from the end of november to beginning of february, i know the weather has been bad but that price for a couple of months gas seems crazy. Our provider is calor and we live in a private estate. I just wondering if anyone else has these kind of bills? We thought it might not be helping by having the thermostat dial turned up highish on the boiler as it would burn more gas we have a vokera boiler its a mynute 16 e model. We certanily cant afford that kind of bill again with the way things are, thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Gary Don

Our bill is €950. Used 3 hours in the morning, 6 hours at night for most of last two months. Old house, no insulation. We even had the boiler temp set to minimum.

My heart sank.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Hi Garydon

Thanks for the reply My heart sank aswell Gary when we got our bill, our house is only 4.5 years old and its a superwarm home, i thought peoples utility bills were suppoesd to be going down, thats what the companies tell us in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

Hi Spartan

Bill was €455 which is up substantially from an average of about €180-220. Talk about a shock, I rang to see if it was a mistake or ~I had a huge leak. No suck luck, although gas is to come down by 22-25% by the end of the year. I am going to wait though to see if its worth switching to Bord Gais for the electricity seems a bit of a very short term gain. Bring back coal:mad::mad:!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭SPARTAN33

Hi Folks

Thanks for the replies, seems like utility prices are crazy these days, they probably want us to freeze to death!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Have you checked if they even bothered to read the meter OP,I think they only read it twice a year now so it could be estimated. They pick a figure out of thin air in those circumstances it seems to me. I think mine was around the 4 something mark, but I neglected to pay the last one completely. My house is about 50 years old,quite drafty in parts and I hiked the timer way up over the xmas so mine doesn't seem that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭builditwell

I did check that the metr is being read but its actually quite accurate + or - about €15-20 euro error most of the time. I started paying more attention to it for the last year at least, looking back at prev bills it seems like extortion.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

My parent's last gas bill was €565 for 2 months. There's just the 2 of them in the house and the heating is usually only on for an hour in the morning and 6 hours in the evening. Crazy money. I've advised them to get a wood pellet stove like mine that takes a €3 bag of pellets which lasts for about 8 hours and it blasts out the heat so much that we leave the doors open so that it heats the rest of the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

SPARTAN33 wrote: »
    Hi Folks

Just a couple of enquiries, my missus opened the post this morning and the gas bill arrived boy did we get a shock 536 euros from the end of november to beginning of february, i know the weather has been bad but that price for a couple of months gas seems crazy. Our provider is calor and we live in a private estate. I just wondering if anyone else has these kind of bills? We thought it might not be helping by having the thermostat dial turned up highish on the boiler as it would burn more gas we have a vokera boiler its a mynute 16 e model. We certanily cant afford that kind of bill again with the way things are, thanks in advance for any help or advice.

That sounds outlandish to me. I have an eight room bungalow bungalow out on its own in a fairly exposed location. We have oil fired central heating, and at the beginning of December I filled up with 700 litres of oil for €394. We have had the heating on a lot through the cold spell -- on average about 8 hours a day I'd guess. Three months after the fill we still have nearly half a tank remaining, and normally get through the winter on one fill. If I was you I'd give serious thought to changing to oil if you can. An Bord Gáis is doing a great rip off job They seem to be shadowing oil prices when they are on the rise, but forget to do so when they start to drop.:(

Lat year when the oil prices were through the roof, even then I only paid €650 for the winter heating.

Advertisement