Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should I get a Xbox

• 25-02-2009 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I already have a PS3, but really want to play Dead rising and Left 4 Dead. Is it worth getting an Xbox to play these games. I have read this thread with great interest http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055497378

Whats this about having to pay to play online? how does that work?

Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Maybe you should ask this question on the PS3 forum and see what they say. You're really only going to get the same answer from everyone here!

I have both consoles and love them in equal measure. It is a bit of a pain having to pay for Xbox Live particularly if you don't do a whole lot of online gaming.

To be honest I find PSN to be every bit as reliable as Xbox Live.

I don't have Left 4 Dead but have heard great reports on it. Dead Rising is enjoyable but can be frustrating at time with it's stupid save system and certainly isn't worth forking out for another console.

If you buy an Xbox, buy it for Gears of War and GoW2.

(And not Halo either, despite what you may have heard, it's actually overrated rubbish!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Thanks,

How does the pay to play thing work? If you had toi give up the xbox or PS3, which one would you?

Thanks,

How does the pay to play thing work? If you had toi give up the xbox or PS3, which one would you?

Put me on the spot in the Xbox forum why don't you!!!

You pay a once yearly GOLD subscription to xbox live, you can get this in game shops for about 50 quid for the year then you're sorted. It's a bit expensive but you can pick it up cheaper online.

Buying anything on Xbox Live is done through Microsoft points instead of real money which is ar$e if you ask me.

If I had to choose between the two, I would probably give up the Xbox but that's just my opinion, others will beg to differ. I think the PS3 will start to pull away soon in terms of graphic quality etc because I suspect the Xbox will peak earlier. (Lets hope Killzone 2 lives up to the hype)

If you're a serious gamer and have the money buy an Xbox.

Thanks for the info,

I see the basic model is apptox €180, would this do or would a more expensive model have a lot more going for it.

Have you played Dead rising and Left for dead? this is the only reason I would get xbox. Fancy playinh Left 4 dead online.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit. sorry, you already answered my second question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In my opinion Left 4 Dead is worth getting a console for - but only if you plan playing online. In that regard it's an amazing game and really doesn't get old - not to mention there's a new content pack coming out soon. As a single player game, it is interesting and still quite unique also but short lived and generally unremarkable after a few hours play. I bought my Xbox to use for watching media in my room, but also because I felt it offers far more games of that genre to me as a casual FPS/3FPS player (Halo, Gears, Left 4 Dead, most multi-platorm FPS titles are up until now generally better on the 360, and so on). The basic model at 180 isn't really advised, it comes with composite connections (standard definition) which requires the seperate purchase of either a Component cable for HDMI cable for HD use, and the included memory card isn't large enough to store much info/download updates. Buying the arcade model + hard drive separately is criminally overpriced, especially with all the bundles stores offer on the 60gb 360's. I got a core and bought the Hard drive/Component cable second hand, so basically paid about 100 for a 20gb 360 - but the core is so old now there's not much point doing that anymore. Depending on what exactly you want though, you might get a good deal I suppose by buying the Arcade model in some sort of bundle, and picking up a cheap 20gb hard drive on ebay or adverts.ie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

In my opinion Left 4 Dead is worth getting a console for - but only if you plan playing online. In that regard it's an amazing game and really doesn't get old - not to mention there's a new content pack coming out soon. As a single player game, it is interesting and still quite unique also but short lived and generally unremarkable after a few hours play. I bought my Xbox to use for watching media in my room, but also because I felt it offers far more games of that genre to me as a casual FPS/3FPS player (Halo, Gears, Left 4 Dead, most multi-platorm FPS titles are up until now generally better on the 360, and so on). The basic model at 180 isn't really advised, it comes with composite connections (standard definition) which requires the seperate purchase of either a Component cable for HDMI cable for HD use, and the included memory card isn't large enough to store much info/download updates. Buying the arcade model + hard drive separately is criminally overpriced, especially with all the bundles stores offer on the 60gb 360's. I got a core and bought the Hard drive/Component cable second hand, so basically paid about 100 for a 20gb 360 - but the core is so old now there's not much point doing that anymore. Depending on what exactly you want though, you might get a good deal I suppose by buying the Arcade model in some sort of bundle, and picking up a cheap 20gb hard drive on ebay or adverts.ie.

apparently peats have the 20g hd for 25e at the mo. Also 13 month live subs can be bought for as little as 35e or so.

Right I'm going to get a Xbox Pro. With Left 4 dead and xbox live.

Is this the best thing?

Anybody online tonight on Left 4 dead who wants to show a newbie the ropes? :)

Thanks for the info,

I see the basic model is apptox €180, would this do or would a more expensive model have a lot more going for it.

Have you played Dead rising and Left for dead? this is the only reason I would get xbox. Fancy playinh Left 4 dead online.

Thanks again for your help.

Edit. sorry, you already answered my second question!

Don't go for the cheapo model as it has no hard drive. You'll probably pick up a bundle offer with Left 4 Dead in it.

If you're gonna pick one up, i recommend checking out Smyths for a decent deal. I bought my Xbox (arcade) off them a while ago and I think i did pretty well. Was in there a few days ago looking at some of their WWE stuff and their 360 Offers (whilst i can't remember them off hand) seemed pretty good to me.

About the hard drive, i have no hard drive at the moment. I rarely ever play anything other than GTA IV online, so i still have space on it. If you're really only gonna be playing one or two games, i wouldn't rush out looking for a hard drive. Most games take up very little space to save anyway (there's actually a guide on the back of each games' box as to how much space it takes up).

I bought a 20GB hard drive on eBay a few days ago, cos two friends were getting them too, and i just thought 'what the hell'. I really don't need it though, just got it for the sake of it really. I know you can install games onto the HD to reduce the noise of the console, but if im being complately honest, the 360 isn't that noisy in my opinion. I think the noise issue has been greatly exaggerated (although i bought my 360 Arcade in Late November 2008, so maybe it was a problem that they just fixed up on newer 360s?)

Unless you're planning on storing a lot of music, games/games from LIVE Arcade, etc. on the console, i'd pass on the Hard drive (note: when you sign into xbox live, you'll get about 4 million updates, which do take up quite a bit of space on your card. I currently have just GTA on my memory card, and i have 92mb of space left, which is comfortable enough to fit on Burnout Revenge, WWE SmackDown! VS RAW 2009 and Project Gotham Racing 3 with plenty of space left. I'm working this out by using the guide on the back of the box for each game)

All entirely up to yourself though.

As for LIVE, It can be gotten here for €36 (13months). I used these guys before and it all went down well.

http://www.jasper1675.com/europeanxbox12gold.html

There's also a guy over on adverts.ie selling them.

cool thanks,

Was talking to a guy in Gamestop.

Xbox 360 pro 60GB, white, one wireless cont, Choice of any game instore, €250

Xbox Elite, black 120GB, €300

Don't really mind about space, 60GB would be ok for me I think.

What do you think?

• Advertisement

If you intend having a good few games you'll need more than the memory card.

The 60gb should be plenty.

I have the 20gb one and it's only half full after a year. Having said that I don't download movies or any of that.

Game seem to generally offer better bundle Deals. In fact I rarely ever buy anything in Gamestop anymore.

In support of the Hard Drive vs Memory card debate, I was led to understand that updates, in particular the newer dash, are too large for the standard memory card - and buying a higher capacity memory card would actually cost about the same as buying a pre-owned 20gb Hard drive, hence why I recommended against the Arcade for anyone. Personally I don't use the Hard Drive much either but it's handy to have and cheap as chips 2nd hand.

Thanks for all yer help.
    Complicated business getting an Xbox!

to further complicate things, What the hell is a Jasper?

Newer revision of the 360. There's been a few. Jasper, being the newest, would be quietest/coolest running and less prone to the known problems of the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

If you end up getting it I'm up for a few games of Left 4 Dead anytime, my gamertag is BassmanMurph85 :)

Your on.

Going do a bit of research for the best place to pick one up and I should be on line tomorrow evening. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Left 4 Dead ALONE makes it worth it, and that's ignoring all the other great 360 games that are out :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Hi,

I already have a PS3, but really want to play Dead rising and Left 4 Dead. Is it worth getting an Xbox to play these games. I have read this thread with great interest http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055497378

Whats this about having to pay to play online? how does that work?

Any ideas or help would be great.

Thanks

I have a few 360's and If I was you I wouldn't buy any system for just two games. Left 4 dead is good fun, but not that good. I played if for a few days and got a bit bored.
    But on the flip side there are lots of other good games on the 360.

I'm in the same boat about getting a Ps3. I want to play Little big planet and MGS4 and one or two others. But buying it just for them I'm not sure.

As for Blue ray... waste of money. Never going to do what DVD's did t videos. Downloading media is the way forward. (off topic I know!!?)

koneko wrote: »
    Left 4 Dead ALONE makes it worth it, and that's ignoring all the other great 360 games that are out :D

Thanks,What other games would you recommend. I am big into online play.
    ROC1977 wrote: »
    I have a few 360's and If I was you I wouldn't buy any system for just two games. Left 4 dead is good fun, but not that good. I played if for a few days and got a bit bored.
    But on the flip side there are lots of other good games on the 360.

I'm in the same boat about getting a Ps3. I want to play Little big planet and MGS4 and one or two others. But buying it just for them I'm not sure.

As for Blue ray... waste of money. Never going to do what DVD's did t videos. Downloading media is the way forward. (off topic I know!!?)

Thanks for your comments, very interesting. All my mates have PS3 so I can't even borrow a Xbox for a while to play the game. If the PS3 had more or even any zombie games I would be happy enough, but they don't :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

cool thanks,

Was talking to a guy in Gamestop.

Xbox 360 pro 60GB, white, one wireless cont, Choice of any game instore, €250

Xbox Elite, black 120GB, €300

Don't really mind about space, 60GB would be ok for me I think.

What do you think?

Ha. For the €250 I will give you my Xbox 360 with wirless controller and rockband and COD WAW and Tom Clancys Vegas 2, and it has a 20 gig hardrive.

Edit: And then, I will go and buy a PS3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭SteveDPirate

Left 4 Dead is unlike any other co-op shooter I've played. You can meet some great people online playing this. Good luck buying your new console. You can add me to your friends list no problem. GT is the same as my username here. Ok here's a few suggestions for good online games.

Gears of War 2, for the online co-op, team based matches and of course (my favourite) Horde.

Call of Duty 5 has brilliant online multiplayer. So much depth, and always something to work toward.

For something different, try Crackdown. It's superb, but often overlooked. How they managed to get a full co-op mode in there, I'll never know. But it works perfectly and it's great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

Left 4 Dead is unlike any other co-op shooter I've played. You can meet some great people online playing this. Good luck buying your new console. You can add me to your friends list no problem. GT is the same as my username here. Ok here's a few suggestions for good online games.

Gears of War 2, for the online co-op, team based matches and of course (my favourite) Horde.

Call of Duty 5 has brilliant online multiplayer. So much depth, and always something to work toward.

For something different, try Crackdown. It's superb, but often overlooked. How they managed to get a full co-op mode in there, I'll never know. But it works perfectly and it's great fun.

COD5 is also on Ps3 don't forget.
    :)

padair wrote: »
    Edit: And then, I will go and buy a PS3

Would you really get the PS3

Ya, there are a few games that I would love to play on it. Looking forward to a wkend of Zombies and Rugby (hopefully not together):)
    ROC1977 wrote: »
    COD5 is also on Ps3 don't forget.
    :)

Have it on the PS3, I like it. That will be my next problem, what format will I buy future games if they are availible to both consoles :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Check out reviews and forum posts online, sometimes one version will be better than the other. Otherwise, it's down to what your friends are playing (if it has multiplayer) or which controller you prefer.

I can imagine Left 4 Dead getting boring after a few days, if you don't play it online at all or only play with randoms. I've been playing both versions since it came out (PC and 360) and it still isn't boring, fantastic co-op and great fun with a regular group of people.

For online play, my recommendations would be Halo 3 (still play the multiplayer regularly, with friends), maybe Gears of War 2 (I don't like it online but loads of people do), Call of Duty 4 if you don't have it already on PS3 (you mentioned 5/World at War), maybe Crackdown for something different. Could think of loads of singleplayer recommendations but I'm sure you'll be busy enough as it is :o

Thanks.

I plan to play Left 4 Dead on line mainly,(trying not to build it up too much,:o:pac:, can't wait to get into it). Already have had one offer of a game so it should be good craic :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Thanks,What other games would you recommend. I am big into online play.

Halo 3, massive online community and by far the most polished online shooter I've played.
    If the PS3 had more or even any zombie games I would be happy enough, but they don't :(

My friend, my friend, welcome to zombie console gaming heaven.

Left 4 dead is brutally amazing, brilliant online gaming and Dead Rising is one of my all time favourite games. Can be picked up for around 6Eur as well.

A-Trak wrote: »

My friend, my friend, welcome to zombie console gaming heaven.

Left 4 dead is brutally amazing, brilliant online gaming and Dead Rising is one of my all time favourite games. Can be picked up for around 6Eur as well.

I likes the sound of that :D .

Pick it up this morning and can't wait to get killing some undead ass. I'll post my user id when I get it up. Feel free to have a game with me.

Be warned though, I am a Xbox virgin, hopefully the controls will be easy enough to pick up.:D

Right, got set up. I am Mickey Dolennz, watch the double n :)

Lets kick some undead ass :pac::pac:

What are your initial impressions of it (the XBox)?

• Advertisement

Still trying to figure it out. Am impressed so far.

It is colourful, maybe more so than the PS3.

Left 4 dead is class, just played one game. Have a feeling I'm gonna get my monies worth on this one (game and console :o)

Add me if you want a crap game :pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement