Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Domain name hijacked?

• 25-02-2009 2:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭

[edit]Changed title to make a bit more sense

Not sure of the best thread title for this, but anyway:

Renewed my domain name last Friday, a couple of days before it was due to expire (I know I left it late).

Haven't renewed my hosting yet, partly because I'm not 100% sure I'm going with, but more because I haven't coded most of the backend yet and I'm considering moving from .Net to PHP, go might end up going the Linux route.

My problem is that if I try to visit my site, I get some damn page with a load of pron links.

www.who.is still shows it as registered to me with the admin and tech contacts as the company I registered it to.

So what's going on? Surely I just just get a 'host not found' message?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Where are the nameservers pointed?

If it's to your old hosting company who you are no longer paying, they're probably just displaying some default 404 page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

Sounds like the domain is "parked", so you're probably getting a default parking page. Simplest thing is to doublecheck with the provider to make sure that the domain was renewed etc.,

You won't get a "host not found" if a domain isn't renewed - at least not immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Turns out it wasn't renewed for some reason, they're doing it now.

Wouldn't mind if I was getting a 404 or a basic parking page, it's the fact that I'm being invited to watch someone's wife's hot friend etc. :mad: which isn't exactly the kind of content I want associated with the site.

Sorry for the double post, but I just want to be sure on this: my domain name hadn't been renewed (it has now), so had expired about 2 days earlier. Are my hosting company the only ones who could have put up the page I was getting ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

MOH wrote: »
    Sorry for the double post, but I just want to be sure on this: my domain name hadn't been renewed (it has now), so had expired about 2 days earlier. Are my hosting company the only ones who could have put up the page I was getting ?

No. The host might not be ICANN accredited, so the ICANN registrar would have been responsible for the parked page

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote: »
    No. The host might not be ICANN accredited, so the ICANN registrar would have been responsible for the parked page

OK, thanks.

Advertisement