Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning permission - Demolition.

• 25-02-2009 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭

Planning permission is required when demolishing a habitable dwelling..(I'm sure we all knew that)

Just something else which is new to me.....Any out building being demolished which is in excess of 100m2 needs planning permission, and consequently an additional fee.

Is this just an exercise in generating planning applications and consequently fees by the LA's ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a new one for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

gotta link?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Planning and Development Regulations 2008 (SI 235 2008)
    Class 50

Seen that proposed but hadn't realised that it was in force. There you go, you learn something new every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

had a planning application recently invalided because we hadn't included the €80 fee :mad:

some fun if the PA requested one to apply for retention of the demolition of a building, where it has been demolished and refused the permission and insisted on payment of development charges for the re-construction of the building ... it would never happen ........... or would it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,127 ✭✭✭✭Penn

in fairness, 100m² is quite big, so the fee won't apply to a lot of out building demolitions. And in a lot of cases, the demolition of such a large structure will be part of the overall planning for whatever they're demolishing it for. So seems pretty irrelevant.

But still, for everything else, it does seem like a hassle. Not to mention the extra cost of getting someone to prepare the whole planning application for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

It makes sense to put a cap on it. As already stated 100M2 is pretty big anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

in a domestic situation 100m2 is quiet big, however on a commercial/industrial site, 100 m2 is quiet small site (typically the size of a boiler room)

i can imagine the reaction of some of my clients if I told them they had to apply for permission to demolish an old falling down shed in the corner of the yard.... and what's more the cost of preparing a planning application to do same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Got invalidated on a application recently where I didnt include a survey(plans, elevations and sections) of the existing shed to be demolished. TBA I would probably have mentioned a shed over 100m2 in the description of the development and submitted plans etc. as long as it was part of the bigger picture.

• Advertisement

I had to make an application about 2 years ago for "the retention of demolition of dwelling house". They insisted on getting plans too so I was tempted to give them a blank A1 sheet.

Important to note, it's actually 40m2 within the curtilage of a dwelling house and the 100m2 is for industrial, business or farmyard purposes, so it is farther reaching then you might think.

Advertisement