Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Good Life

• 25-02-2009 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi all,

apologies if this post is in the wrong forum.

My family and i are looking to buy a house with land from which to live off. we previously had our own small holding in Croatia with crops and animals so are fairly well versed in keeping a small farm in order. we're looking to get back to our rural lifestyle but a bit in doubt about the possibilities of this in Ireland. we've loads of question but I'll begin with just a simple one.

are there any restrictions in Ireland regards the use of land one owns? we'd be growing crops in some fields and keeping animals in others (pigs, sheep, goats, cows, chickens, ducks etc), we'd divide the space as we see fit. i have a feeling Ireland is an over regulated country so there must be something that will get in the way of our plans.

just on the above point any info would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭nilhg

To keep animals (even just for your own use) you would have to get a herd number fro the Dept of Agriculture. To get this you need some basic facilities (a shed, crush, feed store), once you have that you should be OK.

One thing to consider though is that you cannot keep pet food, or food for non ruminants in the same shed as cattle and sheep feed, so as to stop contamination with meat and bone meal.

Having animals mixed in fields won't be a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

seanpu1 wrote: »
    Hi all,

apologies if this post is in the wrong forum.

My family and i are looking to buy a house with land from which to live off. we previously had our own small holding in Croatia with crops and animals so are fairly well versed in keeping a small farm in order.

just on the above point any info would be great.

I've pm'd you re the above

Advertisement