Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

About to buy an American classic, but need advice

• 25-02-2009 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Being a 70's child, I've always dreamed of buying an American classic car to have for weekend use etc, but never done anything about it.

I've now planted my eyes on a lovely 1976 C3 Corvette Stingray (5.7) small-block that has had a good bit of TLC and I need advice on what to watch out for or check before buying.

I'm also hoping to get this checked out, as I'm not a mechanic by any means, but I'm not too sure whether services from the likes of the AA or RAC would be any use (given their focus on more modern motors) - Ideally I suppose I'd be looking for someone with some experience with American classics to give it the once over.

Anyway, the car I'm looking to buy is in the UK - but the V5 cert does not show the year of manufacture - only the year of import (1992). I'm waiting the VRO office to come back to me, but I'm assuming they check the car's age by the VIN number? Can you guys give any insight as to whether this is the case? I'm assuming that I'm not the first to bring in a classic from the UK this way.

Also, in relation to car clubs - I'd love to join up with a car club as well - hence the 2nd reason I sent this email. I'm based in Wexford - but couldnt find any local clubs down here (maybe you could steer in the right direction?).

Being all new to American V8's, I have all the usual concerns like running costs, maintenance costs, who will service it for me, how to store the car, who's best in the market for assisting with restoration/upgrades etc.

I'd love to meet any fellow boardies that have taken this jump in the past - never know, might even be a secret cult lurking in here somewhere!! :D:D

Sudo911.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

This is probably the best forum :)

Best of luck with it, I'm jealous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Hey Sudo! All your questions will be answered here: www.americanmusclecarsireland.net

Register on the site and post this question and you will get all the info you need on importing, running costs, etc.

One of our members lives down Gorey direction but most are Dublin / Meath / Kildare. Hope to see you rolling with us soon dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

eoin wrote: »
    This is probably the best forum :)

Best of luck with it, I'm jealous!

Cheers man - never cop'd the classic forum - perhaps the mod might move for me if I ask nicely? ;)

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Hey Sudo! All your questions will be answered here: www.americanmusclecarsireland.net

Register on the site and post this question and you will get all the info you need on importing, running costs, etc.

One of our members lives down Gorey direction but most are Dublin / Meath / Kildare. Hope to see you rolling with us soon dude!

Aha! that didnt take long for one to surface!

Tried that site, but it wont let you register for some reason.... :(

sudo911 wrote: »
    Aha! that didnt take long for one to surface!

Tried that site, but it wont let you register for some reason.... :(

Shouldn't be an issue! I'll get back to you later - gotta get back to work now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to classic cars!

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue! I'll get back to you later - gotta get back to work now!

Not to worry - I'm a dope, didnt see the small txt at the bottom! I'm in now... thx for the help!

No worries dude - you're in the right place so! ;)

Advertisement